1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out at school

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Jack Lee, Jan 20, 2018.

1. Jack Lee

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    so you all are probably sick of my problems but I'm gonna rant on. So I am coming to terms with coming out to my parents but what about school. I'm worried about PE if boys will think that I am attracted to them. And how do I come out to my school

2. Joe2001

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    A few questions to assess your situation:
    1) Do you have a good group of friends and do they know?
    2) Have fellow pupils expressed a particular attitude towards LGBT people?
    3) Is the school religious or has it done anything pro LGBT?

3. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Jack Lee... Hello again! Hey, we are in no way "sick of your problems"! :old_smile: There are plenty of people here who have had or are having the exact same problems. Coming out at school can be another "problem"...it all depends on the environment at the school. Joe2001 hit the high points pretty well. Having a group of friends that you are out to who will stick by you if other kids cause problems is really important. The general attitude of the school administrators and teachers is also really important. Will they support you or tell you to keep quiet about it? Does the school have a straight-gay alliance or any kind of a similar group? If you can find support at school, then coming out at school may work out. One thing to remember is that if you come out at school, it will eventually (sometimes quickly) get back to your parents. :old_frown: Something to think about. As far as PE goes....I remember a post I saw once about a high school senior who came out at the beginning of his senior year. He was also a football (US football) player and the first time in the locker room after practice a few guys made smart a** comments about "stay away from me", "don't look at me" and "don't hit on me". He turned to them and said; "I am exactly the same person you've played football with for the last three years, you just know one little thing now that you didn't know then. If I didn't hit on you then, why would I now...besides what makes you think I think you're cute?" :old_big_grin:
    ....David :gay_pride_flag:

I'm gay likes this.