1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out as non-binary

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by questions4ever, Dec 27, 2019.

1. questions4ever

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    how do I tell friends and family who don’t get it? Any tips for navigating this?

Dreamsexul likes this.
  2. Dreamsexul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A) understand yourself and the terms you want to use as best as you can. Make sure you're comfortable with the terms you want to use, what they mean, and which famous people, if any, share those terms

B) rehearse the conversations in your head beforehand - what questions might they ask, what objections might they raise, what emotions might they display. Consider both positive and negative reactions and plan you responses in advance.

C) think carefully about possible consequences of coming out. Once it's done there's no going back. Have contingency plans. Also think about all the wonderful positives about living open and out. Be optimistic.

D) pick the person you want to come out to first carefully. Pick someone who is most likely to be understanding, sympathetic, supportive and encouraging.

E) pick the right time. No need to rush.

Good luck! :slight_smile:

3. LaurenSkye

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Telling people what it means to be genderqueer is my biggest barrier toward coming out. I don't mind telling people what I am (I think a few people in my family know or suspect that I am gay and I'm pretty sure most would support me regardless of the overall views), but explaining to them that I am genderqueer and what that means is something I'm not comfortable with. I'd rather just say "this is what I am" and never talk about it with them ever again.