1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out and fearing hell

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Mysteria, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Mysteria

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I hope I chose the right forum; this seemed to fit better hear then in the coming out forum.

The only reason I am not out to everyone is my fear of hell.

I was raised liberal Christian, became conservative Christian by my own choice in 6th grade, and have lived that (with a couple of exceptions) since then. No matter how many of the other beliefs I can set aside or talk myself out of, the belief on hell seems to stick. I'm so scared of being wrong, of being damned for eternity.

I have bipolar disorder and have struggled with mood issues since 4th or 5th grade. I've been chronically suicidal most of my teen and adult life with a couple of exceptions- when I was having my children, and a year or so period where I left Christianity and practiced another religion altogether and was open with most people about my sexuality. I can't help but wonder if part of the reason I struggled with suicidal ideation so much is because I'm not being honest about who I am. But I don't want to hurt the people in my life who are conservative Christian, nor do I want to be wrong and go to hell. Has anyone who truly believed conservative Christianity (vs being forced into it by a parent) came to peace with this? Is it possible to come from this belief system and yet come out?

2. Unsure77

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There’s a book called “God and the Gay Christian” by Matthew Vines as well as some YouTube talks by him. They helped me quite a bit when I was first coming to terms with being a lesbian. He makes the case for being gay affirming using evangelical methodology for looking at the Bible (taking it literally, but also looking at the original translations and looking at cultural context).

Mysteria likes this.
  3. Mysteria

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Thank you! I'll buy that book come payday. :slight_smile:

4. Unsure77

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Check out the videos on YouTube. It covers a lot of the same turf.

Mysteria likes this.