1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Colombian gay tolerance and Colombian history

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by PianoKeys, Dec 20, 2018.

1. PianoKeys

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    So I was just curious, how is the gay acceptance in Colombia. Some laws have changed fairly recently, and I hear its pretty conservative. I myself will be traveling to my girlfriend in Medellin (Sorry I do not know how to put the right i here ! Haha)

Of course I hear from her but I would love to hear from others.

Its kind of scary though what is going on in Brasil and all that, and Brasil is of course very important to South America. I dont know if this will have its impact on things like this. But basically I know not much about Colombia and its politics and culture. So I start to learn now.

Is there also a good documentary about Colombia and its history without the stuff about the Escobar guy? Because I am not interested in that. I know all I need to know about that. But that keeps popping up.

2. smurf

Colombia when it comes to LGBT rights and culture is very complex. Our legal system is set up very differently than a lot of people are used to. We have a type of supreme court (lack the right term), but its in charge or making sure the rights of the citizens are being respected. Its an incredible system, but it also means that our laws have always been way ahead public opinion. Its a good and bad thing.

The good is the we have many laws to protect us. We have been ahead of the curve in many ways, but public opinion has been way slower which impedes how well the laws are implemented and how safe you can feel in a public space.

The history if Colombia is also VERY catholic to the point that the church was pretty much running the government at a certain point. So there is your usual christian backlash to it all, but its not as dangerous as people would think.

We have openly out trans politicians, openly out gay politicians, a pride parade, laws in place, neighborhoods dedicated to gay life, one of the biggest gay clubs in all of south america, but from what I have been told there are some public spaces that you don't feel totally okay to show affection.

If your are a tourist and you are white, you can pretty much know that people won't mess with you. Like the majority of countries, touristy places will be safer because the government has a vested interested in doing so. So you should be fine, but just be aware of what area you are in before you should public affection.

Not that I know of. Sadly the fetishism of Escobar has made it hard for people to learn our history without the mention of the fucking idiot. Narcos just made it way worse.

Since you are going to Medellin its going to be hard to avoid it completely. A lot of locals have figured out how to make money from tourists coming just for that, so its a vicious cycle. Should be better since your partner is from there