1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

College Email Account - Free Copy of Office?!

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Mitchell, Apr 3, 2015.

1. Mitchell

The college I attend uses Office 365 for email... the link I'm given brings me directly to the login screen, and I enter my credentials and login, and can access my email, basically the Outlook Web App.

Just for fun, I went to office365.com and logged in with my school email credentials... i was given the option to download office. Was able to download it, and then install it.... for activation it gave me the option to activate using an email account, so I was able to activate it using my student email account, and later on going back to office365.com and logging in with my student credentials, it shows up as having 4 seats remaining, meaning it looks like my student email account gives me 5 seats for Office, PC and Mac... Was able to get it on both my PC and Mac.

Downside... when my student email account is deactivated, office will deactivate.

2. Foz

Foz Guest

Yeah I got that too, I was able to 'acquire' Office for my Mac but all the PC ones were dodgy :slight_smile:

3. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Microsoft has been doing this for ages. They want students used to their apps, as it's actually a form of markéting. People choose what they are familiar with. When you get into the business world and are at the point of making ðecisions, they want you to be intimately familiar with their product, as it will increase the chances you will purchase from them. They aren't the only place that does this. Banks do it with kids accounts to get both the prents accounts as well as the kids future accounts.

4. Mitchell

I agree with confuzzled.

Only negative is that they aren't really giving it to me, its through Office 365, once I'm no longer a student the software will deactivate itself.

At the same time, I'm in a different situation, being that when I was in elementary school we had Apple computers running System 7.1, up until I was in the 6th grade... then they finally got PC's with internet access.

I use a MacBook Pro primarily. I like it. I like the software, and I like the hardware.

Despite this, Apple's Pages just doesn't really compete with Microsoft Word for Mac. Word for Mac also keeps better compatibility. Plus, it's just easier to type my papers with.