1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

College/Career.. need advice

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by That1Guy, Jun 12, 2013.

1. That1Guy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I graduated High School last year and am not in college yet. I'm planning on enrolling in a community college this year starting in the fall then transferring to a university but the only problem is I don't know what I want to do. I'm really stressed about it because I feel incredibly pressured and my parents will basically kick me out and not support me if I don't go this year.

A few things of vague interest are criminal justice/law enforcement careers or computer science. That or join the military (probably air force). I'm just torn on everything and don't know what to do, but am being pressured and basically forced into making a decision soon. What would you do?

2. funnyfeelings21

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have a lot of friends who have this issue. Go to a University! Some community colleges are great but if you are transferring out, some universities might not take those credits so it's easier just to start from the grounds up in a University. University classes are a little harder than community college. Keep that in mind! Army wise- good way to go. Most of the friends that took that part are enjoying themselves traveling all over the world... I can't speak for them tho, they are usually sad at first because of family but then get used to it and make new friends.

You don't have to declare a major when you go to a University when you first go. 2 years you can take your basics and then declare a major your junior year... Think about it, but not too much tho since August is right around the block. Definitely don't recommend community college because University is a complete different system. They are similar in many ways but if you do take that route, you will see what I mean when you get to a University. Good luck!

3. Vegas Boy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well I would go to college. You could always just take your core classes and figure out your major a little bit later. I know what you mean about not knowing what career to chose. I'm currently deciding between mathematician, journalist, lawyer, political scientist, sociologist, and probably a college professor.

4. castle walls

If you're interested in joining the military, I'd recommend trying to see if you can get into ROTC. You might as well graduate as an officer. You can read about Air Force ROTC requirements here.

The whole credits not transferring issue is a real concern and it would be in your best interest to check with the university that you want to go to and see if your credits will transfer. Be vigilant about this. Get the name and title of the person you're speaking to. I know a few people that got screwed. You can avoid that by being careful and checking things out beforehand.

When you first get to college, you're usually taking general education classes (English, Math, etc.). It might be a good idea for you to take an intro class in the subjects you're interested in. That way you can decide if you'd like to pursue them further. If not, you may be able to use them as electives so they'll still help you graduate.

Hope I helped!

5. Ticklish Fish

if you're interested in computer science, you can try out some computer science classes in community college.

you would of course need some math with that

6. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Go to college and take a variety of courses that interest you, then decide on a major based on how well you liked those subjects.

7. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm going to try to help out:

1) Did your high school give you a career aptitude test? They gave me one. At any rate, dig those up or contact the school if they have it in your file. They are never bullet proof, but they reveal some themes. If you haven't taken one, you should and they can be administered at a comm. coll. It ought to be low cost, so make a few calls. Also, they should give you several. The reason is that some indicate a personality fit and others indicate which skills you like to use during the day. These can be different. That's how mine turned out. That's another story.

2) If you go to a comm. coll., then check out whether they have transfer articulation agreements with the probable universities you might attend. This lists which classes the 4 year schools will take. Sometimes the very courses are coded with which schools will accept them. You're in CA, so they know which univ. systems in CA will take them, but if you're shopping Arizona or Nevada, the articulation agreements may be more vague or nonexistent.

3) Stick to general ed. early on since it's common to any major you will take later on, as well as some intro courses into majors you are considering to get the flavor

4) I don't know your motivational level, so that's something you might consider. For me, a somewhat competitive 4 year was better. A pressure cooker 4 year wouldn't have worked and a community college might not have worked since, from the classes I've taken on a few occasions seemed too relaxed. But that might be good for the transition for some people. And in CA, comm. colls. are the best bargain out there and you know your teachers.

Good luck!