1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Children of the 60s and beyond...

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Adam1969, Dec 10, 2014.

1. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Born in 1968, here, grew up in northern Michigan...I'll have to tell more when I have some time, but just wanted to chime in, and say I enjoyed reading the thread, and will have more to say soon!

2. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Haha. I've got a boatload to say. I just need the time to organize my thoughts!

3. GrumpyOldLady

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I remember there was a lot of talk about AIDS and speculation about which teachers/students were bi/lesbian/gay. With MTV, David Bowie, Madonna et al. it didn't seem quite so far out as it would have been even 5 years earlier. One of the first students who was out at school was a friend of mine, he was genderqueer and bi. I think we must have been about 14 when he started to come out.

I actually knew quite a few guys who were bi or gay in the 80's and early 90's. I don't know if my area or my crowd were particularly progressive, or if they just felt more comfortable telling me about their sexuality. I didn't know too many lesbians who were out, not to me at any rate, but I think I sort of avoided them *cough cough*.

4. LionsAndShadows

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yes, very rich thread! Thanks for starting it Adam1969.

Its made me wonder whether the biggest change since ‘then’ (when we were kids) isn’t so much about acceptance of LGBT people per se, but acceptance of difference. Back then social expectations of boys and girls were so narrowly defined. It was all about conformity and rules. If you didn’t ‘fit in’ it was your fault for being ‘weird’.

I feel here in the UK at least, the greatest social change has resulted from the realisation that ‘normal’ people aren’t all the same. Normal people (i.e. human beings) are by definition different. Somehow society has learned that, but only in the last couple of decades. Makes you wonder: why?

5. GrumpyOldLady

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I almost forgot ... I also knew a DFAB "tomboy" whose family allowed him to be a boy, and the other children accepted him as such so much that we used to forget he had girl parts (I used to get envious that he had the courage to go that far) ... that was more late 70's and early 80's, and before high school. All the adults assumed that "he" would become a "she" once puberty hit -- which did in fact happen, at least for a while.

6. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Organized religion is fading fast...

Fewer and fewer of these guys;

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/31/scott-lively-lgbt-rights-_n_5050615.html

#26 skiff, Dec 11, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
  7. Adam1969

My parents had a book on the shelf that had a page on homosexuality. I think the book was written in the 50s. I didn't find it encouraging. As I said earlier, these funny moments happened between me and other guys but my thoughts were always along the lines of, "stay cool, don't touch, don't talk, if you do your life will be ruined." Looking back I think it would have made things more difficult, as you said, the words didn't even exist to help people correctly!

---------- Post added 11th Dec 2014 at 06:56 PM ----------

AV club!? Good lord, I wasn't expecting all the AV club testimonials. We are hearing again about an "effeminate boy". Poor bastards, they were likely simply being themselves and all they got for it was abuse!? It didnt happen to me in HS as I was fairly "robust", for lack of a better term. I dont recall anyone committing suicide over these issues when I was in HS but I bet it happened. I have never used the expression "thats so gay". But I don't use expressions like "thats retarded " either so its not an LGBT thing for me.

---------- Post added 11th Dec 2014 at 07:02 PM ----------

Good lord! According to Walt Disney people sat around singing songs in Catholic boarding schools! They make it look so fun in the movies! My religious upbringing was far more liberal. I had to get away form some of the teaching as I got older but I cant imagine the pressure to conform in a school like you described. Oh, I love Montreal!

---------- Post added 11th Dec 2014 at 07:05 PM ----------

Yes, I never really grew up either but I don't much care as I have my health and the same passion or life as always. As I've gotten older though I'm a able to seek healthy thrills and consider the consequences of my actions. Young at heart brother, aint nothing wrong with that.

---------- Post added 11th Dec 2014 at 07:11 PM ----------

There were a few teachers I had in HS who were rumored to be gay. One was a single woman, very nice person, and the other... of course... the choir director! Kind of like GLEE in black and white and on public access so no-one could actually see it. :eusa_doh: Its a shame you found the courage to discuss this with a teacher you obviously felt safe with and all you got was discouragement.

---------- Post added 11th Dec 2014 at 07:14 PM ----------

I'm takin a break! I was hoping to start a meaningful conversation and the response is overwhelming, in a good way. I'll get back soon, but keep posting people as this is how we learn --- (&&&)

8. Adam1969

Hmm, I kind of recall "tomboys" at least being discouraged but I too thought they were cool, so I'm glad to hear others thought that. I wasnt into sports at all either, at least not contact sports, but I had to have a run from time to time. Concerning this person from HS whose appearance changed, have you ever seen Rachael Maddow's, HS photo? You must google that! Everyone must Google that!

I was wrong to use the word "enemy". I tend to be a bit casual in conversation and it doesn't work well in the written form. I was trying to find a way to say she "joined the other team" but I did not want to use that expression. Should have said... I imagine that as she was the one that nurtured and help you feel OK about you sexuality, once she decided to part ways and "try" men, it must have been more of a betrayal than a simple breakup. You didn't just lose a friend, you lost an mentor and allie! That's what I was trying to say. Whewww! :sleep:

Yes, when I lose those types of incredibly powerful relationships its a horrific feeling, then some time later I realize I had nothing actually in common with that person. When I crush hard on those I fall for, I forgive all kinds of bad qualities in that person. After the breakup I most often cant imagine what the hell I was thinking falling in love at all! As a kid though, experiencing that for the first time, it feels like the pits of hell! Oh well, live and learn!

---------- Post added 11th Dec 2014 at 08:48 PM ----------

Start speakin buddy! :tantrum: :eusa_doh: :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 11th Dec 2014 at 08:50 PM ----------

Empty that boat man! But I know the feeling, if I wrote all of my thoughts on this topic the server would shut down. :eusa_doh:

9. AKTodd

My school was very small (the year I graduated we had 50 students from kindergarten to HS seniors - my graduating class was two people) and there were no openly gay students (I had no notion that I was gay at that time, so don't count). But neither was there really any mention of gay people or comments along the lines of 'that's so gay' or the like.

There was one guy in town who was apparently rumored to be gay, but my only recollection of discussion on the matter was 'oh yeah, X, he's gay' and then the conversation moved on. He largely kept to himself AFAIK and I think the general attitude was, he minded his business and everyone else minded theirs.

I did actually confirm he was gay when I was in HS because he came in to tutor me on computer programming (I was in the gifted student program and expressed an interest and he actually has worked with computers in college). We turned a tape calculator into a printer and wrote a program to run it. One day he took me and another student out for a soda or something and when we got back to the school he mentioned something about having broken up with his boyfriend who was following him around. I just kind of though 'huh, ok' and went on with the day.

I had more exposure to 'gay as a concept' in college, starting with getting an earring (my mom and wanted me to get one years before, but I declined). Friends warned me to make sure I got the 'correct' ear pierced so people wouldn't think I was gay:lol:

Todd

10. Adam1969

What was that speculation based on? The same as we have mentioned before... choir, girls basketball, single middle aged teacher? BOWIE!!! :tantrum: :thumbsup: Love that man!

Sorry, but what year was that you had a genderqueer and bi friend? I'm not trying to be funny but I never heard of genderqueer until 2005, give or take! And yes, it sounds like you were hanging with the progressives! Anyone who mentions Bowie in a post is freaking progressive, in any and all eras! He will never be mainstream and he is still one of the greatest! I think many of us here literally remember the day MTV turned on! I watched that freakin Jackson video 150 times!

---------- Post added 11th Dec 2014 at 09:14 PM ----------

My pleasure old chap! OK, I'll stop the ridiculous anglo jokes. We Americans can be real obnoxious! I have to throttle it at all times! Blame Monty Pythons though!

That is a great testimony on change in your country! It seems romantic though, it must be that great problems exist. (I'd like to see an end to bullying but it seems like a childish thought.) In the States we seem to leap ahead in our maturity level only to fall back into immaturity shortly after! In some ways we lead the world in increasing understanding and acceptance... in others were the biggest narrow minded prudes and abusers known! I'm just saying that there is good and bad and I hope tolerance and understanding increases! My bad... Maybe we should not discuss politics on this thread.

11. BeingEarnest

My earliest awareness of the word gay (and other more derogatory words for it) was as a put down. I was called gay by bullies in school as early as the second grade. And I've pr the years, teased, bullied and beaten for not being like the other boys. It left me with a strong message that it was not acceptable, and something to be afraid of. I had a friend in class who was rumored to be gay, although he was always surrounded by a group of girls who,protected him, and I never saw him date anyone. (It turns out he was/is)

One reference that I recall from TV, was the series SOAP. Billy crystal played a gay man- and his 'lifestyle' was an ongoing joke in the series, but he had an ironic dignity which overcomes the stereotype.

When I would come upon references to gay in books or articles,I would read them closely. And sometimes re read them. They described homosexuality as a choice, as a lifestyle, as a disorder, as evil. There were no positive descriptions, nor were there any role models that I could see of living a healthy life as a gay person. Shortly after, AIDS began to spread, and where I lived, they blamed it on gay men.

I was terrified at the thought of being gay.
    But here I am now, many years later, beginning to accept it, and glad to know that it was not the horrible malady I imagined, but to the contrary, a good thing. It is still terribly hard coming out- but the actual feeling of being attracted to others feels wonderful.

12. Adam1969

Thats a great addition to our Breakfast Club... I had never heard of many/any people transitioning until late in the 90s. That must be hell for people to go through!

Thinking back I remember seeing a women on The Donahue Show that was born male bodied, and had transitioned to herself in the mid 60s I believe. I think she was German. She had to have been one of the early well known ones.

In the late 80s as well every daytime talk show had to have a panel of transgendered, mostly women on! Far too often simply cross dressers intended to stir up crap and increase ratings! It all seemed very frivolous and irresponsible but at least I learned I was not the only one!

These programs were grist-for-the-mill for haters but I think those programs introduced millions of people to part of the LGBT community. What I am trying to say is... maybe these tacky-ass programs at least got people thinking and talking. A chance for good people to tell the haters to open their freakin minds!

13. breathingfree62

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have recently come out. I was told it was a bad thing by family.
    Tried living a straight life but it was crippling my.
    My sister dragged me out of the closet and I'm not going back in for anyone..
    I will be moving back in with my wife, staying married but we canlive or own lives.
    The kids are so happy mom and dad are getting along!
    Life is fantastic!!!
    Family knows, friends know and co-workers know.
    An extremely positive experience for me.
    And the crippling affect is all gone.

14. Adam1969

It sounds like that was a pretty "sheltered" environment compared to some of us? Those are not large numbers in your school so it was likely a small community. Typically we think of small communities as being less tolerant but it sounds as though yours was so insular that the topic didnt trigger any real anger. Like it would in larger communities spurred on by the media etc.

Concerning that teacher, that was pretty courageous to say back then, eh?

Yep, I remember... left ear=gay, right ear=straight. Do they still do this today?

15. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    And so I suppose they accidentally pierced the wrong ear, and TURNED YOU GAY!!!

:lol:

16. Spaceman

OMG...Rachel Maddow HS picture. OMG!

[​IMG]

17. GrumpyOldLady

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That must have been '84. We didn't have so many labels back then, so we wouldn't have called him genderqueer, and I don't think we ever thought about being trans. There was just gay, straight, or bi = "will try anything" . I think most people just assumed he was gay. He dressed and acted like an androgynous-to-femme pop star, like Bowie or Boy George. I was actually less femme than he was, more Billy Idol/Duran Duran, but people didn't think as much of it when a girl did it. I remember that my friend was controversial, but there were also a surprising number of people who thought he was pretty cool for having the courage to be himself. Maybe it was just a punk/rebel kind of thing, or because it was a very big school, and extremely diverse ethnically.

The thing is ... she didn't transition. Everyone assumed that when she got into High School, she'd start to act more like a girl, and she did -- whether because she wanted to or because the pressure was too much I don't know. I know myself that the fact that I did, in fact, like guys in a romantic way pushed me towards a more "gender-conforming" role than if I had been exclusively attracted to women.

I see that a lot even today ... parents get worried about their little boy liking nail polish and pink, and other parents will rush to assure them that "it's not a big deal, they usually turn out perfectly normal in the end and get married and have kids." I know people mean well, but it kind of bugs me when they say things like that.

18. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,

In looking back I never thought about being gay in the 70's, it just "was". It rolled out innocently enough at age 10 playing strip poker, which became strip poker for penalties and then moved straight to penalties forgetting the cards.

Yeah, we were closeted to protect ourselves but "gay" or "closeted" never crossed my mind. Shame never crossed my mind either as it was purely natural.

People called me and my buddy Pete&Repeat or "each others shadow" (always together) but we were never confronted with "homo". Well at age 29 my partner got pressure to date, marry, and produce grandchildren which broke him. He admits now he was a coward.

But in hindsight the closet was about protection from society and not shame. Anybody with eyes would have known Pete&Repeat were in love. It was simply not discussed and since we had no stereotypical mannerisms we were left alone.

My problems only came when we broke up (late 20's) and I could not find a stable guy looking to commit to a relationship. That was the AIDS crisis too... Did not help the situation.

I imagine that we flower children who lived through the AIDS crisis have an exaggerated fear of it.

Tom

19. Adam1969

MADDOW.... my Hero!! Thanks for attaching those photos!! (!) (!)

20. bearheart

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is a quite interesting thread.
    My experience is kind of similar to greatwhale's. I grew up in the middle east (mainly Muslim) in a Catholic high school (around 3000 boys)! all boys K-12 education. I don't remember any one to be labeled as "gay", but we had a couple of "feminine" acting guys, they were the geeks of our class and I don't believe that they got bullied, at least physically. I grew up to see it all happening in front of my eyes without realizing that this is going to be called "homosexuality": rumors about what was going on in the dorms (I did not stay in), some teachers were rumored to be gay and doing it with some of the kids at high school, but I was always the quite kid who played the religious role, so no one doubted that I'm gay hiding behind the "lower your gaze" when present in front of a woman thing.

I wasn't really into the arts .. although I tried the choir but was kicked out of it (my voice was that bad??), and not into team sports until 10th grade when I joined the rowing team, I wasn't that fit but I worked my way up in the weight room. The locker area was an interesting area to be at, since most of the kids did not really get totally naked there, most had speedos and shorts when taking a shower .. nevertheless, I had good times viewing!

The topic of homosexuality was never discussed at school, or at home or anywhere else for that matter, other than as a disgraceful behavior .. "fag" was a normal insult word (very vulgar) that was used everywhere to and with straight people and not necessarily to a gay person.

The strict environment at the school was probably one of the main reasons that I was happy when I graduated. I never miss a day from my school years.