1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't seem to Write at all

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by twospiritlycan, Jul 2, 2013.

1. I do writing as a hobby and a way to fill my free time. I have ideas, and they get worked into writing. I have problems with the whole writing process. It's really kind of frustrating because I'm stuck there staring at the computer with no clues on what to do. I have the idea down, i have the scene written out in my head, but I can't bring myself to write the damn things. I'm so annoyed. But I'm feeling amused.

2. ForgottenRose

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Same here. It's hard to actually fully write an idea down.

3. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Writers block happens to me too. I'm writing two books, and I'm stuck in both of them.

4. LD579

Perhaps writing is a long affair for you. For me, it is either a half day or a full day of work. It's bad but I sometimes miss meals because I end up so engrossed in writing.

5. srslywtf

I find the reason I get creative blocks is because I've exhausted my ideas/gotten tired of writing.

I stop trying to write and go out and experience life. throw yourself into new things, meet new people.. .Hell even just get out of the house. If you go outside, random things will happen every now and then.

6. DanD

I write quite a bit. Currently, I have one fictional book and five educational books on various websites for sale/download/rent etc...

I can totally understand where you're coming from, as I'm right at the end of a current novel (80,000+ words), and it gets tough nearer the end as you need to remember everything that's happened before.

My best advice is to not think too deeply about the flow of words or paragraphs. Simply write roughly what you think is right as a first draft. Most good manuscripts are re-written ten times or so (which can be extremely tedious) but necessary to obtain the best story possible.

My current plot is all coming together. I have Mafia and Triad gangs waiting in two stolen cars in the car park of Caesars palace in Las Vegas. They're keeping an eye on the Bellagio Hotel opposite for a man with £50 million that they want. They have numerous weapons at their disposal, but will they get the money? :eek:

7. Femmeme

Are you making a story outline, or arc map or chapter list? I find my writing flows best when I have one (or more) of those things to keep me on track.

Or if it's just a page or two long I'll write myself into the first draft, so it's more of a day dream captured on paper, then edit myself out and insert a suitable character in my place.
    Other times I just start writing out my stream of consiousness and try to pick thread of a story out of that. Most of my methods require multiple drafts and editing, but that in it's self is more practice and practice makes perfect.

8. Hexagon

I get periods in which I can't seem to write, and then days when I just sit down and write, forgetting to eat and talk etc. One of the things which ended my writers block once was using dictation. I don't use if often, but I find that it can sometimes overcome a literal block to writing, when you've got the whole scene in your head. Otherwise, try composing it word for word in your head, then just typing it down. It gets you started.

9. Moodlighter

Moodlighter Guest

I'd like to offer that the very act of sitting in front of a computer screen will zap your energy. Why not take paper and pen to a quiet place?

From my point of view - the point of view of a computer music producer AND writing essays for my counselling course - it helps to get away from electronic technology, screens etc and into natural environments.

I suppose this is a variation on Hexagon's excellent suggestion of dictation. Talk it out. Or scribble. Maybe draw some images. Engage your visual mind by taking in the world and SEEING images.

When I was involved in a mass music project 2 years ago, one of the tutors gave an excellent suggestion, and I cannot remember it word for word but it was basically about letting yourself flow with WHATEVER comes out. The crap AND the good. Don't try to be perfect. Maybe the crap will actually end up better than the stuff you thought was good.

10. that sounds like really good advice. I should try to just write without worrying about the perfection.