1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can your orientation change over time?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Mysteria, Jul 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. out2019

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So you're for restricting people's choices in this case (you explicitly say this therapy should be banned) and even exploring the possibility, yet you claim to be open minded?
    So we want to permit what you claim are relatively harmless drugs that blog hormones of developing adolescents, but you want to ban an adult who wants to seek to change a behavior they don't want?

If evidence came out that there was a way to change orientation, would you accept it? If you were honest with yourself, I think you would answer no. And just accept that - but please don't claim that 'we're evidence based' .

Science is corrupt, influenced by trends and is ultimately very human. Just 30 years ago I could be arguing that well maybe fat isn't bad, and I 'd be called a quack, trying to kill people etc... please don't think we're any better today, in many ways we're worse, not just about sexuality.

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's been explored for 60+ years. It doesn't work. The medical (and mental health) professions have banned an awful lot of therapies with a hell of a lot less research behind them.

Yes, because one works, and the other does not.

I have completely reversed positions on a number of things over the years as data has come along that's shown that what we thought we knew earlier wasn't actually the case. This is particularly the case in what we know about substance use disorders and how they function, the value of certain therapies such as CBT, and the use of various psychotropic medications. I'm very openminded and quite willing to change position. And on a topic where there's been 60+ years of constant research, and overwhelming evidence, then the evidentiary standard to overcome that is going to be high. But if that standard is met, then yes, of course I'd accept it.

The fat vs sugar argument is pretty well documented, and even at the time, when the argument against fats was being made, there were renegades, with solid science behind them, making a compelling case to the contrary Some people knew the data was out there, but it was papered over by the sugar lobby. There's no such compelling case for reparative therapy.

There's also no lobby pushing to cover up evidence that sexual orientation can be changed.

#42 Chip, Sep 25, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
    blagh likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.