1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you notice if you have mental health problems?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by rudysteiner, Feb 25, 2016.

1. rudysteiner

Hey everyone,

I'm really worried that I have anxiety and/or OCD, but a friend told me that if I did have a mental illness of any kind, I wouldn't notice I had it. Is this true?

Can I see the signs of anxiety/OCD or would I not know I had signs of either?

Thanks,

Joe.

2. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think you would figure out when things aren't right

although sometimes changes can be subtle and so slow that you don't realise it for a while.

I think you need to ask yourself what facts support your own thoughts or are you over-thinking things

3. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with bingostring.

You should be able to pick up that things you do/say differ from what you or others classify as "normal".

I'm bipolar ,and I picked up that my mood swings aren't in the "normal" range, and sought professional help. Is it at all possible for you to go speak to a psychologist, who might refer you to a psychiatrist? If you really believe that there's something "wrong" with you mentally, then the best would be to speak to a mental health professional, and get evaluated/tested.

4. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It really depends on what kind of mental health problem we are talking about. In some cases it might be really difficult to see that there is something wrong if you don't have anyone with whom you can talk about private issues. If you don't realize your things are different from others you can't really know that it's unusual. This is often the case with depression.

In your case, you should be able to see anxiety and OCD symptoms in yourself quite easily unless you are a hermit without any close human contact.

The golden rule about seeking treatment is about asking yourself are you happy or are there things in your life that bother you mentally. If the answer is yes there are issues like fear or anxiety, talk to a psychologist.

#4 Euler, Feb 26, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
  5. rudysteiner

Thanks guys, I'll book an appointment with my GP as soon as to see what's going on as the problems I'm having are starting to get in the way of my daily activities.

#5 rudysteiner, Feb 26, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
  6. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't have anxiety that would inhibit my daily life, although there was one time where I went into a depressive episode and anxiety was at its highest; I've never felt so anxious before.

My anxiety was out of control, but after going to therapy for a while (although not anymore), I've been able to control and tame it, and use it to my advantage. Very useful where I work, where you need to remain calm because if everyone is freaking out, they will look to you for help.

I was overreacting when I probably didn't need to be, and people told me to calm down (too hot headed or something). That's when I knew something was up.

7. Whysosarcastic

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Even a healthy individual can easily placebo himself into thinking something is wrong But when you have chemical imbalances your body knows. Its just a matter a cryptic subconscious trying to communicate with a...loud and imaginative conscious.

Symptoms of anxiety and OCD are so broad and yet you dont need all of them to have one or both. Point yes go get tested. Just like any problem the earlier you catch on the better off you will be.

P.S. I honestly believe everyone should have a therapist. Even if you dont have anything wrong with your head. Everyone has bottled up plenty of baggage in the day to day...The years of potential and lives that would save if we all had a safe space to say anything free from judgment.

8. kyfry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sometimes you dont even realize you were having mental health problems until after youve gotten help. the summer before, I started writing dark poetry involving, sadness, death and struggles. Heres the thing. I never write poetry (on my own at least outside of homework in school). That Christmas I had my first major episode of depression and anxiety. It wasnt until that time what I did that summer, what I wrote about.

9. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Having a mother with a plethora of mental health issues, it was fairly simple for me to recognize some of the same symptoms in myself. Especially when the depression and anxiety began inhibiting what I could do. I realized what a horrible state my mind was in compared to all my friends and understood I was different. Which is good, because now I can get the help I need.

10. Delta

I first noticed I had some serious mood disorder problems when I was 8 years old, and two psychiatric hospital stays over my adolescent years kind of solidified the validity of my assessment. It doesn't take a genius to look at illogical reactions you've had and things that don't make sense after the fact and say "Woah, something is obviously not right there." And if it were true that mentally ill people couldn't see their mental illness, no one would ever seek treatment, and people initiate their own treatment all the time.

Be careful not to consider things disproportionately. Don't downplay things that are actively affecting your quality of life, and also don't blow small things into big deals if they can be easily worked with and managed. Besides that, only you know how you're feeling. Only you know if this is hurting you. And only you can decide what you want to do about it. Do not listen to your friend. He is very wrong.