1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came out to two of my coworkers

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by rainy30, May 16, 2019.

1. rainy30

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, I recently came out to two of my coworkers who didn't know I was bi. I've worked with these two for about a year and we get along really well. Most of the others do know, but these two didn't. I work part-time at a large retail store in between my studies. Most of the people I work with are in their late teens or twenties. Anyway, the other night, these two coworkers of mine (straight guy and straight girl) were talking about Cara Delevingne - they were saying how they thought it was cool that she was openly bi. I was nearby and could hear their conversation, and this urge just overpowered me. I kind of blurted out, "I'm bi."

The girl took it really well, and was really happy, and asked if I was seeing anyone. We also had a really good conversation about dating. On the other hand, the guy seemed super surprised and shocked. He looked kind of uncomfortable and kind of didn't know what to say. He seemed strangely nervous around me for the rest of the shift, but he tried to act 'normally'. I guess I made him feel awkward...? He later said that it was good that I felt comfortable to share it.

I considered us to be good work mates, but I feel awkward about working with him again now. Part of me feels bad that I didn't tell him about my sexuality earlier, but I don't know... is it bad we've been working together for a year and he didn't know until now? I'll try to stop overthinking it.

smurf and SemiCharmedLife like this.
  2. Rachel9245

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I came out to my boss in casual conversation a few months ago. He did have a slight look of shock but after that everything was back to normal again.

Sometimes I think people just don't know what to say or are worried it will be somehow sound offensive and just clam up and act awkward instead.

3. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been in a new job for a month now and will occasionally drop that I have a bf in casual conversation but nobody has asked anything about him which is weird. Still better than my last job where I was in the closet for the 2.5 years that I worked there