1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came out to my whole class...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by NinjaInTraining, Jun 8, 2015.

1. NinjaInTraining

So on Friday my whole year was doing this English workshop. The point of it was to build confidence in public speaking and by the end of the day we had to give a speech in front of our class. I was so nervous I was actually the last person to give my speech.
    I chose to do mine on whether gay teenagers get the same acceptance as their straight peers. Specifically when saying 'I'm gay' and getting the response of 'you're too young to know etc. while straight teenagers don't get this.
    We had to use a story or personal experience in our speeches. I chose to speak about when I came out to my mum and how her response had been, 'how do you know?', 'maybe it's a phase.' So I stood in front of my class and said the words 'I'm gay'.
    I was scared of how everyone would react, but as soon as I finished speaking everyone gave me the biggest round of applause. The guy who was leading the workshop said that in all the years he had been doing it, that was the bravest thing he had seen anyone do.
    I'm so happy that I was able to come out to my class and that everyone had such a posative reaction to it!

2. Creator

That's amazing, I wish I had the courage you do. Congratulations.

Kind regards,
    Creator

3. Lyana

That's so cool. I would love to know what you put in your speech, I'm sure you deserved that applause. It's great that coming out to your class went well for you... and it's also awesome to stand up and talk about something you feel strongly about! Bet you're glad for that English workshop.

4. Camel

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well done you! Fantastic.

5. loveislove01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's great and really, really brave! Good for you!

6. TheJackC

I wish I had the confidence you do! Well done!

7. Comhionannas

Wow, you are incredibly brave to have done that and thoroughly deserved that applause and the praise that you received. Well done you !! :eusa_clap

8. NinjaInTraining

Thank you for everything all of you have said(*hug*)

I would have liked to have uploaded the speech to here, however we had to give it after having ten minutes to choose a topic and make basic notes on what we wanted to talk about. So I only really have a list of bullet points. The rest of the speech was made up on the spot.
    I was glad we got to pick our own topic because I was able to choose something I really thought was an issue. I honestly had no idea what the worship was going to be like before we started, but now I'm so glad I did it! (And I'm not normally one to enjoy public speaking.)

9. Christiaan

Christiaan Guest

That is a pretty good way to come out. It sounds like you really addressed a central issue that actually affects your everyday life, which shows some pretty sophisticated reasoning.

Really, I hope that, beyond just the LGBT issue, perhaps your eyes have been opened up to the value of this particular exercise. It really put things in perspective, didn't it, that the instructor had you cite a personal experience? Really, I hope that, from now on, you'll start looking closely at these exercises and seeing the logic in how they're set up. They're really surprisingly good.

And thank you for taking part in educating your peers. You've really done an important service for society.

10. Sunrays

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Amazing, congrats. Your school sounds fantastic by the way :slight_smile:

11. Fandom obsessed

Yay! I'm glad you did! That takes a bunch of courage!!