1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came Out to Brother as Trans*

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Nike007, Apr 1, 2018.

1. Nike007

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So I have been dealing with a lot of gender dysphoria lately, and would really like to transition medically, but at least where I'm from, there's a checklist you have to go through in order to be approved of this, and one thing is having supports, and so I realized that I have to tell my family. I talked to my therapist, and after a lot of thinking, I decided I would come out to my brother this weekend.

We were just playing some video games, and I just started out by saying "Do you know why my video game characters' are named Niko?" And of course, he said no, and asked why. And I just said that I was transgender.

Originally, he was confused, because I guess in his mind, you can't have a non-straight sexuality with being trans*, so he said "I thought you are bisexual", and I told him I was. And he thought about it and was like, "Oh ya, it's possible to be bisexual and transgneder". But then he just said that I was a good gamer and it didn't impact me gaming and that he was fine with it.

He was fine with it. I didn't tell him I was non-binary though, so I assume he thinks I'm male, but that's my current plan, since I feel my family would accept me more if I was male trans* instead of non-binary trans*, and I would like to appear male, so it doesn't really matter to them in that sense.

My brother did call me 'Ma'am" this morning, which I was slightly upset by. But I don't know. Maybe I need to be more specific and ask if he will use my name and proper pronouns. But I still call it a success. I probably will tell my sister next. I don't think she'll care about this fact, and will support me. I'm more worried about my parents though. Just another thought to think about.

2. YermanTom

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congrats on being brave. I'm sure it was super scary.
    From what I've heard it can take a while for people that have known you for a long time to get their head around the 'new' name and pronouns. Keep correcting them every time.
    The other trans* people here will help you.

I've never, to my knowledge, met a trans person in real life. But those that I've seen on-line are super-heroes.

Be the super-hero you were always meant to be.