1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Brock Turner to be released Sep 2 2016

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by gasian, Aug 29, 2016.

1. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Thank you for clarifying all this. This whole case really struck me as odd from the start. I also read he was drunk (or at least very buzzed) while he as raping (or assaulting?) the woman. It kind of leaves the question on whether or not he knew what he was even doing. Granted, you are responsible for what you do when drunk, especially because he was at least conscious and he wasn't. It leaves me wondering if it's even worth finding every possible way to ruin his life. Not only is he a registered sex offender, but the media attention he got will leave him pretty screwed in life. Basically, I think we should just adjust rape laws if necessary and move on. The punishment he will be getting in life is going to be worse than a few more years in jail.

2. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'd sure hope someone would be brave enough, but you're probably right. A lot of the more cruel and destructive crimes seem to get leniency but if someone takes action then somehow they're the bad guy.

3. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, he was drunk. Though he claimed he did remember what happened that night, which meant he was not drunk enough to have blacked out. He was certainly lucid enough to know he was with someone who was unconscious, since the bystanders who tackled Turner to the ground after he attempted to flee claimed that she was completely out, not moving at all.

I get the feeling that some are trivializing this case, acting as if this was the old story of two drunk people who hooked up at a party and one of them later regretted it and tried to claim it was "rape", when this was much more than that; though he didn't actually have sex with her (and thus it was not considered rape under California law), he fingered her and dry humped her while she was unconscious (and obviously she was not consenting to it), so that does classify it as an assault. She had dirt and blood on her when she was brought to the hospital and could not remember what happened.

I agree that he will receive the consequences of what he did throughout his life, as a result of being a registered sex offender and the publicity the case drew, and I do not believe he necessarily needed any more jail time. But I'm also not going to feel sorry for him.

#23 Libertino, Sep 6, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
  4. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's not the same thing as two drunk people having sex considering she was blacked out drunk and he wasn't. It would be more similar to compare it to a drowsy person having sex with someone who is completely sleeping. They might not be completely aware, but they still know what they're doing and deserve all punishment from the law.

I don't see why everyone feels the need to trivialize this case. Sexual assault is wrong and criminal regardless of who it is or how it happened, and it deserves legal punishment. I know someone who was sexually assaulted 37 years ago and they still have chronic PTSD, major depression, suicidal thoughts and terror to this very day. She has been punished for LIFE while the assaulter gets off easy. If you don't want your life ruined over sexual assault, then don't sexually assault anyone. He ruined that girls' life forever and she gets no justice for it.

I wonder if reactions would be the same if this was a second-degree murder or physical assault. If I kill someone because I was angry and didn't mean to, should I go to prison? What if I don't want my life ruined over that? After all it was a mistake and "I" wasn't thinking properly, so maybe I feel I didn't deserve to go to jail for more than three months.

5. iiimee

I don't think anyone is trivializing this case here, though I agree with you that what he did was totally wrong. Still, his sentence is worse than life in prison, in my opinion, since he won't have the same protection a prison offers but just as many restrictions, plus his case is especially bad because at least half the country would be happy to have his body hanging for all the world to see. :/ He deserved to be punished, but I just think that the way we parade sex offenders around as examples instead of just locking them up is sickening... Then again, I think I wouldn't even have life in prison as an option for anything other than terrorism or first-degree murder if I made that decision... I just think some of the people I've talked to about this say things that are almost as barbaric as what he did. :/

6. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I mostly agree tbh, it just seems that rapists get off easier than drug users, some killers (even second degree and lower) and it doesn't seem right.

I think it just depends on view. I'm one of those people who views rape being worse than murder, so I easily view rapists in a black and white light while affording sympathy to some killers depending on circumstance. I also know people who view murder as being far worse and more of a black and white situation, so the debate will differ from person to person I think.

#26 Creativemind, Sep 6, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
  7. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Geez some people really hate him! They held up signs in front of his house talking about castrating him.