1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Borrowing money

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Raydar0110, Jan 26, 2018.

1. Raydar0110

Hi,

Long story short -

My boyfriend doesn't like borrowing money and doesn't like talking about it. I want him to so he can get something now that would cost £80 more if he bought it later.

How do I make him more comfortable about borrowing money.

Long story long -

We have been going out for over 7 months. We really love each other and I think I am the only person that makes him feel comfortable and himself(even his parents don't do this). He has wanted a Nintendo switch since it came out over a year ago but could afford it. His parents said that as part of his Christmas present his parents said they would give him half the cost. But given that they are not the best with money they haven't been able to give it to him and he doesn't know when they will be able to.

I think he is scared of his parents as they usually act rude and inconsiderate and tend to threaten him whenever he doesn't do something perfect. E.g. one week he spent allot of time in his room and his parents said that if he didn't talk to them more they wouldn't let him go to university( this would ruin his life completely).

His parents have quite a bit of debt and have never given him anything other than the absolute essentials and complain constantly if they need to do anything more. Since he got a minimum wage job when he was 16 ( now 17)he has had to pay for all of his college food if he doesn't have packed lunch, All his cloths, transport as they never take him anywhere, college supplies and anything else they should provide.

Granted they don't have allot of money but he does so much like babysit his sister at a moment's notice while they go and get drunk on a Saturday at his aunts if they can't bring his sisters with them. I just think they should be more greatful.

Sorry this turned into a rant. Back on topic now.

I think whenever he has asked for anything he has always been shouted at or ridiculed. I have tried to undo what his parents have done to him like his anxiety and fear of people but with borrowing money I can't seem to get anywhere.

I almost did when he got a laptop that was discounted by £300 but even then he would only borrow a little from family as his dad complained for the entire day about needing to drive 30min to go and get it.

Allot of his problems stem from his parents lack of responsibility with money and I don't know how to fix this.

I really do need advice on this as I feel helpless at the moment.

Thanks for reading if you got this far, I haven't had a good rant in ages so I'm sorry that turned into one. The people on here are always helpful.

Any advice would be great.