1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bohemian Rhapsody

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by L8bloomer, Feb 22, 2019.

1. Rupert30

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I thought rami was as good as he could’ve been but Freddie Mercury was a large guy and very intelligent/witty and I didn’t see that really captured in the film. His sense of humor - also felt like the band basically curated the whole thing to be a fairly tame version of events and fabricated this storyline

18breanna likes this.
  2. outputinput

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I once read a Circus Magazine(late 70s)where he covertly came out as bisexual.It was safe to label yourself bisexual then because Elton John and David Bowie had already done it.Freddie was becoming more effeminate during this period as well.Who knows?Ultimately I think he leaned more towards the gay side.Many gay persons still hold the fantasy of one day settling down with a woman and raising a family although we have more options than we did back then.

L8bloomer likes this.
  3. outputinput

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have the movie on my Kindle but I havent watched it yet.Its been proven that there were many scenes that were polished up and inaccurate to actual events.There were many sides to Freddie that the movie did not touch.Sasha Baren Cohen wanted to focus more on Freddies promiscuity and drug use early 80's.After "Another One Bites The Dust"hit Freddie did alot of hanging out in New York snorting coke and sleeping around with random men.People in that scene were starting to die off towards 1984.The gay club scene early 80s was pretty wild.

18breanna likes this.
  4. 18breanna

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I feel this. Although I didn't absolutely hate the film, I spent a lot of my years as a fan watching docs, reading interviews, books, etc. and the portrayal of the band and Freddie is particular didn't feel genuine. He was almost the opposite of some of the scenes in the film, and it diappointed me not to see the versions of them I had read about. He was so much more funny, etc. than the movie seemed to want to portray.
    At first I didn't like this idea before watching the movie but honestly, compared to how the movie treated the club scene in a more negative, uninspired way, I wonder what Sacha would have done with that part of his life. It can't be any worse than what got...

5. L8bloomer

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Isn’t it interesting and timely that in his Oscar acceptance speech, Rami referred to Freddie as “a gay man”? I truly believe his heart was in the right place, but he also caught some flak for this, again back to the question of whether he was gay or bi. The more time goes by the more I like “queer” since it’s inclusive...

6. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm going to go with "not straight" I think. Then I don't have to hear the term "bi-phase" applied to me again! None of us will know what Mercury's sexuality was but I prefer my favorite Queen song with lines that say "I wanna make a supersonic man out of you" and "I wanna make a supersonic woman out of you"...Sounds "not straight" to me.

L8bloomer likes this.
  7. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is such a good movie.

#27 Andrew99, Feb 27, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
    L8bloomer likes this.
  8. Bicchi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    That’s not a simple movie scene. She had actually said that to him in real life.

L8bloomer likes this.