1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bodybuilding Q&A for FTMs!

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Kal, Aug 19, 2016.

1. Kal

Kal

Out Status:
    A few people
    Anthracite and I are starting this thread to help any budding bodybuilders out there that may have some questions on lifting, diet and general wellbeing when it comes to weight training. We aren't experts but have combined knowledge that spans 5+ years that may be helpful to others.

We're typically addressing FTMs but of course, anyone is welcome to ask a question. There are no stupid questions, so don't be shy. Everyone has to start somewhere!

#1 Kal, Aug 19, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
  2. SystemGlitch

I've wanted to start weight-training for about a year, but I've never done it before and I have a really hard time even entering the gym because of all the really fit guys who go there. I feel out of place being overweight, weak, and "female". :icon_sad: Any advice on how to get started?

3. randomconnorcon

Yeah, similar question. Not just for bodybuilding, but for losing weight and gaining muscle in general. I've been looking into bodybuilding and I intend to go through with this training regime I found, but I want to start with general weight loss first.

I just joined a gym and I've booked inductions for general fitness and weight loss on Monday. But any advice before I get there would be awesome, because the inductions are a couple of hours apart, so I'll be in there working out in between.

4. Kal

Kal

Out Status:
    A few people
    Hunter & Theo, I'm writing this response on my phone so I won't quote you both as it will make the responses huuuuuge. Also, it won't always be me responding as I want Anthracite to have as much to say as me.

Where do you start?

Okay, so there are a couple of question rolled up into that. The first is around diet, because you don't want to go to the gym and bail out after 20 minutes due to only eating chips and chocolate (not insinuating you are!), so I would advise eating clean for 2 to 3 days to ensure your body has the right amount of energy it needs. Veg, meat, fruit, nuts, rice, sweet potato, porridge - have 3 good meals a day and some health snacks in between to start you off.

Confidence is the other question I'm hearing. How do I start?

We all have to start somewhere in the gym. People don't give you a hard time for getting in there and getting the job done because you're THERE. Also, perceived gender isn't much of an issue these days. Fitness has exploded and females (perceived) are just as welcome in the weights section as the males. If you really are nervous, you could try some home workouts first to get to grips with what you're doing and build a little bit of muscle to begin with. Or maybe start off in the less male dominated areas of the gym - machines and cardio equipment. Working yourself up to using weights may help confidence.

How do I burn fat?

Weight loss is a commonly described term when you want to drop some body fat. You don't technically have to lose weight to do this. In other words, by building muscle you can retain the same and larger weight. Body fat is best torched by high intensity; limiting your rest between sets and sprints can really get that fat count down. I will always but always recommend weight training because of how much effort you're putting into each exercise. Getting those muscles warm and under tension will help burn fat quicker than running on a treadmill every day for 30 minutes.

#4 Kal, Aug 19, 2016
  5. GayPugs

I'm 13 years old and my parents say that bodybuilding this young is kind of dangerous but I want to be strong...I want to feel more masculine. I'm really weak and small...do you have any tips of possible bodybuilding-type-things that I could do?

6. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You could do lifts of some of the smaller weights. Around 13, I was doing sizes 1, 3 and 5 [but weight might vary between models]. Not too heavy, but if done for a longer period of time can build up strength. I would do about 5 minutes of each with a 2 minute break before moving onto the next size.

#6 Secrets5, Aug 19, 2016
  7. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If I want to start weight training, what is a good way to learn proper form and stuff so I don't look stupid at the gym or like I'm being unsafe? Maybe youtube?

8. Kal

Kal

Out Status:
    A few people
    Great question. When I was starting out bodybuilding.com was the best place to go for help with what to do and correct form. Check out Elliot Hulse and Zac Smith Fitness on YouTube too.

9. jaska

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i just want to put this out there because i know it works from personal experience. I used to work out more than i do now when i was younger. I mostly worked on my back and upper arms because i wanted to be more buff. I did push ups and hand stands mostly, and it was starting to work. Then i started to get self conious about my forearms being weak looking in comparison to the rest of my arms. So i started doing pull ups and they were really good because they worked out my back, shoulders AND forearms.

Ill also add that i play bass guitar which has significantly helped my arms to become more muscular and makes the veins look more visible, so i recommend playing bass if you want to get more manly looking hands :thumbsup:

10. anthracite

anthracite Guest

Unfortunately I'll be heading to work soon, so I can only answer a few questions right now:

@SystemGlitch: Ever since I started, I haven't been to a gym once. It's not a must. You can get yourself a dumbell set and workout at home. Buy it at a sports centre near you, not in the internet. You should make sure that you can add heavier weights to your collection who suit what you already have, because otherwise you will lose a lot of money. If you do complicated exercises, watch a youtube video and ask someone to correct you, if neccessary. They don't have to be pros, only requirement is that they have seen said youtube video and therefore can compare.

@randomconnorcon: Muscle burns a lot of calories, so for losing weight you can simply build muscle and not eat more, which creates a calorie deficit and makes you lose fat.

11. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have a few questions.

With diet, I'm vegan, but I would like to bulk up some more. What should I do for this? I also have trouble with eating too much sugar or junk food.

Right now I'm doing a sort of full-body training circuit program that lasts 90 days and combines HIIT with light to medium intensity strength training. Is there anything else I should be doing? I used to weightlift a lot (3 hours a day) but after I had a depressive episode I stopped for several months and lost my progress. Totally stopped weightlifting. But over the summer I swam 2 hours daily, and then just recently the pool closed so I'm moving back to strength and cardio.

#11 Kodo, Aug 22, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
  12. Kal

Kal

Out Status:
    A few people
    You need to be consuming a calorie surplus. You're going to be bulking up and it's all about protein and carbs. Research macros and how to stagger your diet to be hitting the macros so that your body repairs and recovers in the best way possible. Also, when it comes to training, there is such a thing as overtraining. Basically (and there arguments around this), your body starts to release a stress hormone when you over do it which is counter productive to your gains. Hit some compound lifts to start your workout and then focus on isolation exercises. Structure your sessions so that you hit all body parts equally, and progressively increase the weight you're lifting over time. It takes time to build muscle but if you stick to it, keep your diet constant then you will see improvements.

13. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I also recommend the Buff Dudes youtube channel. They do videos on protein packed recipes, workout routines, and safety advice on how to exercise safely--especially if you want to get into bodybuilding.

I haven't set foot in a gym in years, but I'm sure other people there wouldn't mind helping you out either. Just be sure you research a little bit to be sure the advice they give you is sound and they aren't doing something risky that could result in injury (such as doing certain exercises where you have little to no control of your range of motion; such as doing dumbbell flyes on a bench for example).

14. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey guys, does anyone have work out routines for the legs at home? I'm pretty sure I tore a muscle in my arm yesterday, and I'm looking for something to do until I feel well enough to lift again.

15. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The website HASfit.com has scores of workout videos free and you should be able to find some which deal with lower body exclusively.

If not, hindu squats are a killer. You could also do stationary lunges, side lunges, or sumo squats. A good amount is 5x5 on each workout then repeat the routine a couple times.

16. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have another question.

So my goal, ultimately, would be to have a lithe body. Sort of skinny but with some muscle definition. If you've seen Sherlock Holmes with Robert Downey Jr, like he was. Abs clearly visible, kind of sinewy, strong but not bulky.

And also, I've been wondering about the whole bulking and cutting phases thing. Should I try to do this or is it only for advanced bodybuilders? Is it possible to gain muscle and lose fat at the same time and if so how do you do that? I would think that if you're eating a caloric deficit to become lean, you can't gain muscle. Contrarywise, if you eat a caloric excess won't this result in fat as well as muscle gain? I really don't want any fat gain.

I guess the bottom line of what I'm asking is this. How do I get that lean sinewy look from where I am now (5'5" and 125 lb)? What steps should I take?

Thank you, by the way, for previous responses. This is a very helpful thread.

#16 Kodo, Aug 26, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
  17. Kal

Kal

Out Status:
    A few people
    Great question and the answer totally depends on the body type you have (re. Endomorph, Mesomorph, Ectomorph). I've swung between all of them, it doesn't necessarily mean you're set for life as that particular body type. For example, I used to find it difficult to put any weight on for years in my late teens/early twenties. Not the case now, I can put weight on really quickly but that is both fat and muscle. I'm more muscle than fat and look the best I've looked in my life but it comes with a lot of sacrifice.

Depending on how much you work out and how rigorous you are with your diet, your results with vary. There are new diets all the time for building lean mass. A paleo diet works quite well (look it up) but as mentioned, you have to sacrifice and commit to it to see results. Your protein and macro intake is extremely important; but steer clear of mass gainer shakes because there's a lot of additives, sugars and carbs in those. You want a nice, clean shake like MyProtein. I'd advise against creatine if you don't want to appear 'chunky' - creatine will cause a lot of water retention. Your workout routine is key...if you struggle to put on muscle, you need to stress your muscles (lifting a dumbell 3 times a week for 30 mins won't cut it). You need to structure your workouts to be lifting at high rep count, low weight and keep pumping that muscle. You're looking to flood your muscle with the pump so all the goodness from your diet targets the recovery and repair. Incrementally going up in weight, but making sure you can control it for time under tension, rather than banging out the last ten reps of poor form.

18. anthracite

anthracite Guest

@Kodo: I would recommend doing so, because the phases strongly differ in diet. The only way for doing both at a time would be an entirely carnivorous diet, which won't be your way. I don't know how much RDJ weighs in that movie, but I would start with gaining mass before definition always. Otherwise people can react "worried". Means they call you anorexic and stop you from working out or constantly put chocolate in front of your nose.

19. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Alright, thank you guys.

I think what I'll do, is go on a bulking phase first then try to lean out with a cutting phase. Since I don't have much muscle to show off yet...

For a bulking phase, how long should it last and how much weight should I aim or expect to gain? Then with cutting, how long would that generally take (as well as how much weight would be necessary to lose to see definition without losing muscle mass)?

And a quick question about workouts. How often should I lift weights?

Thanks.

20. tgboymom

OH HELL yes I have advice. First.. full disclosure. I am not trans, my son is. My advice comes from weight training since I was about 13 years old. I'm 54 now, a woman, mother. I'm married, but as I bench 225, my husband can't lift the bar. I have gone through a period of time when I was way out of shape, diabetic, fading fast and I LOATHED to go into the gym because of the same things you are saying. I had to decide what was more important... THEIR OPINIONS or MY OWN LIFE!

You have cliques in the gym, like anywhere else. Jocks with jocks, catty women hang together,, etc. I always worked alone and gravitated to the folks that might have needed a spot or were confused about how to use equipment and I wasn't the only one to do that. Many of us have been in the same position at one time. When I first got back into the gym, I barely did 2.5 with a 2 incline on the treadmill for 10 minutes... then stopped, bent over and held my knees and had to breathe. I heard comments from catty women behind me and I had all to do from telling them to eff off. First, I have emphysema. Second, they weren't worth my time. After trying and going every day... I was doing an HOUR warm up at 3.2. Then I would do my routine. I would pick different muscle groups to work on day 1, day 2, day 3... then start again. You want to give the muscles you worked on day 1 time to scar over ... which is why you work different groups on days 2 and 3... etc. When I first got back to the gym, I was lifting just the bar to regain my stabilizer muscles. Too bad who liked it and who didn't. Without those stabilizer muscles, there was no way I'd get back to anywhere near 225.

It has to start somewhere and after I got it back together, like I said, I would gravitate to the people who were very overweight and making a sincere effort. I admired them because I KNOW how difficult it is. I had respect for them. Trainers would walk by me and say "wow, you've lost weight, wow you're leg pressing more than I can". MUSCLE REMEMBERS. My best leg press is 550. I don't go near that anymore at my age.. I don't need it, and I don't want to take the chance of injuring myself..

YOU, child, aren't going there to impress anyone. YOU are going there to improve yourself...and that's what it's there for. So many people turn the gym into a social even... .chit chatting and lazily going from one machine to another. No... people like me go alone, work out alone, and do what we have to do. We offer words of encouragement to others who might be struggling... and that's about it. Most men who are fit have been where you are now. They had to START!

At this time I'm training my tg son long distance. I've been pushing for him to get into the gym long before he decided to transition. I hired him trainers... and he just didn't want to do it. NOW he's ready, but the cost of the transition is keeping me from hiring him trainers. He's stuck with me. If you can get a trainer for a few sessions to learn form, do it. The worst thing you can do is work every machine ALL using bad form. Form is more important than the amount of weight you are lifting when you begin.

So there it is. I have more respect for the individual who has taken the bull by the horns to get in there and do what they have to do than I have for the muscle bound pro's. Most other people, including the trainers, will have great respect for you as well. C'mon.... people who don't need it don't go to the gym. It's not a social venue. It's a building with tools to help you improve yourself. Just do it. (!) Like I tell my kid.... you aren't there to play so you aren't out of place. People go there to work. Show me a good work ethic!!

Good luck and God be with you. Honestly, when Jesus is on your side (and He will be, even in the gym), who can be against you???????