1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Body hair

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by ampthejazz, Apr 22, 2007.

1. ampthejazz

Are there any other guys here who are really self conscious about their body hair? I'm a fairly hairy guy, and I'm attracted to guys who are not-so-hairy. The thing is that I don't want to get into the habit of shaving my chest/stomach/ass/whatnot because I've heard that once you start, you kind of have to stick with it, and I've also heard that it gets really itchy and stuff.

Anyone have any advice?

2. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am hairy and I hate it. I have shaved more than once, but it gets itchy, indeed. I trim it, though.

I think you'll have to accept yourself like you are. Surprisingly, none of my partners has ever complained about me being hairy. Some like it.

Fred.

3. Zaurak

Well, one thing you could do is wax, it hurts lice crap and sometimmes I bleed from it but it lasts for around 3 weeks and over time the hair grows back less and less. Also, you could buy nair for men and that works also, but you have to use it more frequently.

4. jayden

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    i still havent got any hair. my dad is 41 and hasnt either so i think that it must be the genes in our family.:icon_mrgr

5. JayHew

In Loving Memory Regular Member

Might just as well be who you are and have what you have. Alternatives get to be problem and more permanent solutions are expensive. Be happy. Seems to work out in the end. My partner has told me a number of times that he does not like hairy guys and I am hairy, but not overly so. Still he said he never thought he would go so much for a guy like me. He's become somewhat international about it too. He now has Roman hands and Russian fingers! So it can be very very good. :slight_smile:

6. Daniel6

I'm a little hairy. My chest hair started to grow 1 year ago. Im 21 now and started pubperty when i was 13. I'm worried that im not normal:icon_cry:

#6 Daniel6, Apr 23, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2007
  7. xequar

I am ordinarily a hairy beast, so I started shaving. It can itch a bit if you let it go for too long, but really what's worse is if you get the occasional ingrown hair. It basically is like a pimple at that point, which isn't necessarily fun. I tried Nair, with painful results, so for now, I'll stick to shaving unless I decide to pony up the cash for the laser thing.

All told, though, I still prefer being clean to being a bear. If you can handle the extra time every few days, then go for it.

8. Kimi

I don't really have much hair on my body.(Except for base of my...uh...stick....and balls)
    Sometimes at locker room, my friends ask me if I shave my legs or arms which I never did. I found it kinda annyoing that but I kinda used to it by now:dry:
    I shave every week or so cuz I don't have much hair on my face area too. Which is kinda sad.

I heard wax is good...though it must be painful because one time when I was at my friend's house with other friend and we one of our friend passed out(Well, what can I say? we found beers "unexpectedly") we decided to wake him up in fun way so we brought a duct tape and we...well I guess you can imagine what we did to him with it.
    I could imagine it much less painful than some duct tape but still sound lots of pain to me.

I heard removing hair by laser cost you alot. And it's not gonna last forever...

9. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I used to be more self-conscious about it because my chest is kinda hairy but over the years I've learned to accept "hey, it's just the way I am." Personally I think shaving/waxing/nairing somewhere other than one's face is a pretty extreme reaction and clear proof that people are WAY too invested in this notion of what is "properly" beautiful/hot/attractive.

I haven't had any problems finding boyfriends or getting laid, so my experience has been people don't care much. Anyone who rejects someone because they have a hairy chest/arms/legs/back is, in my books, a loser. And happily I've never been rejected over body hair. (Atlhough I did once get dumped where one of the reasons listed was that I could have been in better shape--needless to say, that guy is/was a total loser and I don't speak to him anymore.)

And you shouldn't assume that just because someone is "not-so-hairy" that they are interested in someone exactly like them!

I mean, okay, there are preferences and prejudices but my impression is that the "preference" for hairlessness is much more of a beauty industry-inspired prejudice than it is an actual "I'm just not into body hair" kind of thing.

So moral of the story: don't beat yourself up! It'll be easier and less painful to accept your genetics than try to disguise them.

10. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Actually don't freak out... I used to think I was weird too but no one really explains the fact that puberty happens over a period of YEARS, not months or weeks, so our bodies can keep changing with respect to things like body hair well after the "obvious" puberty stage has passed.

For instance, I started puberty around... I dunno... 13/14. But I didn't have to start shaving my face until like 19 and I grew a lot more chest hair at 18/19/20 than I had before that so... it happens over a pretty wide span of time.

Also, your body keeps changing through your 20s, another fact that people never seem to mention, so don't freak out. In fact, I guess overall our bodies keep changing day by day... it's just that in puberty the rate is so exceptional that we take the most notice.

11. Jim1454

I have to add that your body continues to change throughout your whole life...

Unfortunately, not always for the best...

Through my 30s I've slowly developed a little bit of hair on my chest, all the while losing the hair on my head. So don't worry too much about not having much hair on the rest of your body, and appreciate the hair you have on the top of your head!

12. I recently decided to start shaving my back, shoulders, and neck because I've been self-conscious about the hair for a while. I grew up w/ a sister who sort of pounded it in my head somehow that boys shouldn't shave anything except the hair on their face. She's also the type of person who'd see an extremely hairy man and say, "Eww, that's so gross." So I've thrown her logic away and try to think for myself a little more. I like my chest hair, but I don't like the hair on my face, back, neck, or shoulders, so I keep what I want and shave what I don't. I don't know why it is I like the chest hair but don't like the back hair. Maybe it truly is me just conforming to social norms of beauty. But then I think my (head) hairstyle and me not having facial hair might also be conforming to social norms. So in the end, rather than try to figure out where these preferences originated, I just try to remind myself that it doesn't really matter either way -- this is not a life or death situation -- and that I should just let myself prefer what I prefer and act accordingly.

13. ampthejazz

Thanks for the replies everyone.

14. xequar

Interestingly enough, I didn't originally intend to shave my chest and the like. Some cyclists will shave their legs for various reasons, one of which is that cycling shorts can be uncomfortable for those with leg hair because they will sometimes pull the hairs. So, I decided to shave my legs. But, I wasn't really sure where I should stop, so I basically decided to keep going. I liked what I saw and felt, so I didn't stop until I got to my goatee.

Sure, perhaps in some ways I'm trying to follow social norms, but honestly, I never liked going to a beach and having people point me out because I was that hairy. I don't know if I'll keep shaving everything, but I know my legs will likely remain hair-free for awhile.

15. botanyboy03

well, I was in Austin Texas. going back from NC
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nope, no complaints here.

To answer your question, I am 22 and I am not hairy at all. I have like 1 really dark chest hair by my left nipple and a few darker ones that are still thin. I was late in getting my treasure trail too, so its normal for some not to get it. And my partner likes that I am pretty smooth overall.

Zac

16. Jerr

I grow hair on my chest/stomach/ass/back (although back is very very very unoticeable) and well around my shaft.

I personally don't like hair. I don't like it on ME. It isn't an oh I want to be sexy. I just don't like it on me. So I shave. I don't shave ALL the time just whenever I feel it has gotten to the point I don't like looking at it. Now I do want to wax. I know the uber pain whatever! I have a very high pain tolerance. Eventually you stop growing hair where you wax. Now I don't think I'll wax around my shaft but I do TRIM my hair. I mean I'm fine with short short hair there. I have a razor that shaves down to an 1/8th of an inch. I use that down there. It makes it short so it never gets in the way but it is still long enough so if someone puts their hand down there they don't hit stubble and scream in pain. lol. My stomach well... yeah I shave lol I use a pretty nice razor because I like how well it works and how long the blade lasts.

Ingrown hairs can be a bitch. I have high pain tolerance so I really don't mind. It doesn't happen oh so often.

As for the time it takes to shave... I do all the shaving in one shower period. I use it to help me time my conditioner. Put it in then start to shave then make sure all the hair is off then by that time it is good time to wash out the conditioner. Perfect.

I wouldn't mind waxing though. I just have to get the money and find the right place to go for me. Set up a date and I mean like what once every 3-5 weeks. That isn't so bad. I'm sure I'll be able to find a little bit of spare time for that.

Again though, I only say you should shave or wax or whatever you choose if it is that... your choosing!

This is all my choosing. I'm single. I don't think it will help me get people and I don't think it will stop me from getting people. I don't care. I just don't personally like it so I get rid of my hair.

17. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don't you remember that I made you cut it off? lol

18. botanyboy03

well, I was in Austin Texas. going back from NC
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Yeah, well, I am letting it grow back now, hehehehe. :kiss: (*hug*)

Zac

19. 94nat

I still don't have any body hair, none under my arms and none down below but I'm only 13. :rolleyes:

20. Phantomblade

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I feel exactly like you do ampthejazz i am a hairy beast and yet i hate hair on a man. but i am also really lazy and dont shave anything but my face for that reason