1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bloody Noses

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by kiryt100, Jul 15, 2007.

1. kiryt100

Out Status:
    A few people
    Can you get them from stress?

In the past week i've got about 12 bloody noses. I'm thinking it's stress, but is that even possible? But i've been really depressed/stressed this week. Crying alot and such. But i'm not sure if this bloody nose thing is normal :dry:

Something embarrassing happened to me yesterday. At about midnight i went to walk my dog, when i was outside i started bleeding! I didn't have anything to wipe but my shirt. So i was walking around with blood all over my shirt. I looked like i killed someone hahahahaha. This one guy saw me and said 'nice dog' :lol:

#1 kiryt100, Jul 15, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2007
  2. CrimsonThunder

I don't think anyone would have been able to see at midnight, I think this question is for JayHew though. I can see stress being something that would trigger a blood nose.

3. JayHew

In Loving Memory Regular Member

Having nose bleeds in the manner you describe is not "normal". It could it be stress causing it, perhaps, but the stress would likely have to increase your blood pressure enough to cause "blow outs" with some of the vessels in the nose. Now that being said, there could be other reasons for them and I will explain. But first, if you can, have your blood pressure checked. Even at 16, through rare, it is possible to have problems with BP.

Most likely what is happening, because of the crying (especially if significant) the mucous membranes of the nose get swollen and the swelling overtime causes rupture of the smaller blood vessels and produce bleeds. Also if you are blowing your nose a lot and rubbing it, that increases the chances of such things occurring. Just inside the nose on the septum, the divider between the nostrils, is an area called the Kisselbach area and it is highly vascular (lots of blood vessels). When the vessels swell for a long time and there is rubbing, they break easily, thus a bleed happens. The bleeding can be quite significant as there are a lot small arteries.

So what to do? Well, getting a handle on the depression/stress would help as it would decrease the crying and the nose will have a chance to heal. Cutting the rubbing and nose blowing would also help. But in the meantime, what can be done practically until such time as the above can be achieved? I don't advocate this often and don't like people to use it often, but the danger here is having a very significant bleeding episode and believe it or not, some people can bleed to death from such a situation. So here goes; Since you live in the US, go to the drug store and pick up some Afrin or Neo-Synephrine nasal spray and use it twice a day for no longer than three days. Usually they will last 12 hours, but use a decent amount of it and sniff it back. These sprays cause the blood vessels in your nose to shrink or clamp down, so will have less tendency to bleed.

I say do not use for any longer than three days in a row because if you do, you can develop a condition called rebound, which is the mucous membranes will blow out to twice normal when the affect of the nasal spray wears off, and the duration of the meds affects will decrease with longer use. If need be, you can repeat the three day routine after stopping it for 2-3 days.

Another thing you can try, when having a nose bleed, put a bunch of ice cubes in a washrag and hit them with a hammer and crush them up, then wrap the washrag over your nose. The cold causes the blood vessels to shrink and thus may cut the bleeding.

Again, check that blood pressure (and if no one is around that can do that for you without having to go to the docs, while at the pharmacy, see if they have a BP machine there for use by the public) just to make sure. Then pick someone you can trust or that you have a bit of faith in and discuss what is happening with you. Once you start working on a solution for the depression/stress, the crying frequently will likely stop. It is sort of like when you see the light at the end of the tunnel and you find it is not a train coming, the stress factors will decrease.

You are always welcomed to PM me too. Hope this helps and things improve quickly for you. My best wishes to you.

#3 JayHew, Jul 15, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2007
  4. Kimi

He is a good doctor!!
    Because he doesn't keep his patient wait for long time:slight_smile:

5. 24601

I used to use Q-tips with some vaseline on the end to keep my nose from bleeding. Or those little spray things, with the saline. But they were nothing like you're describing...

6. JayHew

In Loving Memory Regular Member

24601, nothing wrong with those methods but most often those are used in winter to combat nose bleeds caused from the extremely dry air at that time.

7. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wouldn't the best advice just be to go see a local doctor and get checked out?

8. xxAngelOnFirexx

haha you sound like my sis. maybe you have a weak vien. we're going to take my sis in to get it cauterized.

9. Louise

It might be a bit late to post so long after the discussion but just a little tip. Instead of harassing your life crushing up ice cubes (I've tried...not easy) stick a bag of frozen peas on your nose, or any hurty bit. The peas hug the shape of any part of the body you put them on and do the job perfectly without any nobbly bits pressing on tender areas.(!)