1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bisexual Erasure

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Taly, Jul 8, 2015.

1. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not only do I not like it, It *is* a bullshit, dramatic, emotional word, and a misuse of the word. When someone uses the word "erasure" it conjures up something like genocide as the poster above stated. It's insulting and demeaning to actual circumstances like the holocaust, where Hitler did, genuinely, attempt to eradicate Jews from the world. Quite frankly, it is ridiculous, disingenuous, and offensive to misuse the word in this context... but misuse of words is something that is, unfortunately, so rampant in the LGBT community that nobody seems to notice.

People are bent on unnecessary drama which undermines the entire argument. When people stop using bullshit words like "erasure" and start using more appropriate words, they will gain a lot more traction with their arguments.

Nobody is "erasing" the existence of bisexuality. Even somebody saying "I don't believe in bisexuality" or "bisexuality doesn't exist" doesn't erase its existence. And no, "erasure" is not a synonym for "removal", at least according to thesaurus.com. "Erasure" according to Oxford means "The removal of all traces of something; obliteration." Clearly, someone saying that they don't believe in bisexuality is not "removing all traces" of bisexuality so it is, like so many other misuses of English language in the gay community, simply incorrect. And it completely detracts from the actual concern.

2. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    I think denial of the existence of bisexuality is a serious thing and it's good that it's brought up.

I like girls. I like guys. I like those who are not binary. I assure anyone who is skeptical, I do, really!

When someone comes out as e.g. bi, I think the best thing is to do is to say "okay, I'm happy for you!" If that person then wants to rephrase it as e.g. homoromantic greysexual, just keep up the support, "Okay, I understand, good for you."

I mena... just be nice, right? ^_^ Why poke someone in the eye over a label like bisexual?

3. Linthras

Linthras Guest

You're apparently unwilling to adress the points I made, so I'll leave it with this; could it be that people are perfectly aware of the words being used, they just disagree with you on whether those words are useful/necesarry or not.

4. Cider

I think people should just mind their own damn business and stop saying that "bisexuality doesn't exist" or "they're just confused." Do people actually think that it's just gay and straight people in the world? Not everything has to be black and white all the damn time.

5. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it's wrong to pass judgement on or deny the sexuality of anyone actually.

6. Taly

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh, I didn't mean anything emotional or dramatic by the term "erasure" - I'm sorry if I came off that way. :/

I just believed that that was the correct term for this type of topic. I didn't want to make a title along the lines of: "Why Do People Deny The Existence of ___" because I didn't think it would cover how broad of a topic this discussion could be, plus I don't like long titles. ;P

And at that, I'm not trying to lie to anyone about using the term. (But I'm not accusing you of saying that I am.) .-.

---------- Post added 9th Jul 2015 at 08:42 AM ----------

And for those who say that people use being bisexual as a stepping stone - I completely get what you're talking about on the subject. I've even known some people who identify has bisexual before ever realizing (or coming to terms) they are closer to another end of the spectrum.

But I also acknowledge that; many people - even without using the term as a stepping stone, still identify with this... Which is a real thing. There have been instances where I've seen the argument of people believing that bisexuality doesn't really exist (even other LGBT+ people at a time) - and so I wanted to give a little more light in bringing up this topic to see what other people think, and how they interpret this.

---------- Post added 9th Jul 2015 at 08:52 AM ----------

Yeah, I can understand the simplicity in using terms that people identify with a greater significance for. I've even called myself 'gay' or 'bisexual' on several occasions without thinking much about it. But in seriousness, I'd refer to myself as homoflexible. But either label doesn't bother me. It's just when people completely close out the idea that I(and others) can have attraction to both sexes versus one where it just gives me a weird taste in my mouth.

#26 Taly, Jul 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2015
  7. LooseMoose

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    For me a lot of the problems with 'bisexuality' come from the ambiguity of the term.

On the one hand it is used to describe people who don't neatly fall into the 'gay' and 'straight' boxes- on the other hand it is used to explicitly imply that an individual "likes both". The social reading of the term nearly always implies "likes tacos and sausages".

But as you said- sexuality is on a spectrum and people don't fall neatly into boxes- and that includes also the bisexual box- because despite a lot of the claims- bisexual it is *still* a box, just like gay and straight are.

Personally I resent the claiming of the entirety of the human sexuality spectrum for the bisexual identity- yes we all fall somewhere on the spectrum-, but that does not mean that we fall into the bisexual box, because for a lot of us our preferences are still so strong, that liking something about a person outside of our usual orientation will never translate into full attraction/capacity for sex or relationship- so being called bisexual will feel false.

For me- even though I might like a person who is male despite their gender (so I might fall slightly outside of the "gay" box), their sex/gender will also be most likely a deal-breaker when it comes to pursuing my attraction- because my attraction will not be that sexual in nature.

To put it bluntly: I don't *like* sausage, although in the past I was able to 'put up' with it, if I liked a person.
    When I identified as bisexual, I've been in relationships with lovely people, and my actual homosexuality meant that I was not happy in those relationships, and most importantly I was sexually very, very unhappy- only with a person of the same sex I feel I am true to my sexuality and myself.

If somebody calls me bisexual, either because of my past, or because of being biromantic, or simply because I am somewhere on the sexuality spectrum which is not very rigidly same-sex oriented when it comes to noticing people- they are doing two things to me:

1) they imply that I like both sexually- that I have the capacity to be aroused/attracted to men as men- and that " I like sausage"- which is not true, because this is precisely why I am homosexual.

2) they also erase the existence of a very strong sexual/emotional/ romantic preference for same sex- a preference so strong in fact that, despite *some* attraction to people of the opposite sex- their sex/ and gender is a deal -breaker for me when it comes to pursuing anything with them.
    They simply deny the fact that attraction to the opposite sex is never full, right or natural to me- only partial and limited, and being called bisexual also denies the fact that I am only able to experience attraction fully to people of the same sex.

Bisexuality exists- it means "likes both", but a lot of the people who don't fall entirely into the gay- or straight box, they "like one" and for the other it is a *mixture* of 'liking parts, and disliking other parts'.
    Something about being with one of the sexes feels completely right, and something about being with the other feels a 'little bit off'-
    they want to emphasise this difference by claiming a gay or straight identity for themselves.

Bisexual activists by claiming the entire slightly flexible spectrum of sexuality for the bisexual identity will create resentment towards bisexuality as an identity- it is a defence mechanism against having your position on the sexuality spectrum claimed for an identity which is not true to you.

It has nothing to do with denying bisexuality as existing- if you have attractions predominantly to one sex, but very rarely to the other- but it also feels right to you- you will feel comfortable with calling yourself bisexual- nobody is denying this.

But calling a gay person who also experiences *some* form of attraction to the opposite sex, but without it feeling right, or it feeling incomplete, ' bisexual' will make *them* feel erased as a gay person.

We need to stop claiming the spectrum of human sexuality for *any* identities, and this includes calling anyone who is slightly flexible in their attraction: "bisexual"- because the term is far from neutral- it has a very specific social reading- one which would be untrue for a lot of people who identify as gay or straight.

#27 LooseMoose, Jul 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
  8. LooseMoose

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Just to add:
    In the OP you said "why do people thing sexuality is one concrete thing?"-
    Claiming that the 'non- concrete' or flexible part means a person is "bisexual" is also claiming something very concrete about them- something which might not be true to them at all.

9. Taly

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I didn't mean concrete in that sense; I should have specified.

I meant to the people who always believed that you either fit into a box of being gay or straight; where there is no middle group or flexibility to be thought of in terms of sexuality.

It doesn't mean that believing that someone or something is not bisexual means that it's being treated like a concrete idea.

10. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The OP has there was no intent to be dramatic or emotional, so I'll take that at face value.

And my original point stands: I think *most* people use the word to be unnecessarily dramatic (thought I doubt most would admit that.) By bringing attention to how that devalues the entire argument, perhaps we begin to change the misuse of the word.

11. LooseMoose

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am not sure I understand what you meant in your last sentence- could you explain it a little?

Do you see my point though, that naming the entirely of the human sexuality spectrum as "bisexual" is also putting it into a box?

Flexibility exists- I just don't think anyone has the right to name it 'bisexuality'= because different people will experience their sexuality differently. Nobody has the right to equate flexibility with bisexuality.

As long as people keep conflating bisexual identity, with the part of the human sexuality spectrum which is not 120% gay or straight people will react negatively to bisexuality as such- because *everybody* falls a little bit on the spectrum between Gay and Straight -

be it the gay guy who felt attracted to a boyish girl once, or be it the lesbian who liked to hang out with her feminine looking male friend, or the straight guy who once masturbated with a male friend- but naming all of those people with clear sexual preferences and boundaries as 'bisexual' dissolves the existence of heterosexuality, and homosexuality as such- and those are very real.

So I am very much against the hijacking of the sexual human spectrum for the bisexual identity.

12. Open Arms

Open Arms Guest

I know what I am, so I don't really care what others label me as. When I saw a nurse practitioner had put Lesbian on my medical chart, I strongly objected to my Doctor, and insisted she put Bisexual. Actually, why does she have to put my orientation at all? Does she have Straight on heterosexuals' charts?

If you have a better label for me, let me know... I can be sexually attracted to a man or a woman. My fantasies are mostly, but not exclusively, about men. I am mostly, but not exclusively attracted to women romantically/emotionally. I am both sexually and emotionally attracted to exactly two people in my life, one male and one female. If I had to choose, I have no idea which one I would choose. When I am celibate, life is a lot less complicated, and also for moral reasons/Christian beliefs I have been refraining from sex. It works fine for me :slight_smile:

13. Taly

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think you misunderstood.

I said I believe a lot of people fall under the category of bisexual to different degrees because there is fluidity; I didn't say the entire human spectrum of sexuality is bisexual in of itself. I believe there is a spectrum of heterosexuality and homosexuality as well, but the definition of bisexual is attraction to both sexes in almost any degree. (At least how I interpret it)

I know there is flexibility; and I'm not trying to right it all of as bisexuality, there's just a lot of people out there (from what I've seen) who have preferences to both sexes, and they may very well be in the spectrum of being gay or straight - but it still falls within the realm of bisexuality, even if it overlaps.

>>>>

As for my last sentence. I was responding to this:

Claiming that the 'non- concrete' or flexible part means a person is "bisexual" is also claiming something very concrete about them- something which might not be true to them at all.

OK, I think I may know what you're meaning by this now, and I see what you're meaning about the difference in flexibility and sexuality.

But I'm not trying to put a concrete idea or think people are all across the board on something if they have preferences to something.

14. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We're not talking about historical erasure here...erasing any trace or reference of bisexuality from society, history books, etc. Such an attempt at erasure would imply that the perpetrators *accept* that bisexuality exists and want it covered up. Our problem is with those who deny that we even exist at all.

Would "bisexual denial" suit you better? Or is that also overly-dramatic bullshit, because of the emotional association with Holocaust denial? (there's attempted erasure for you) Can you suggest a word that *you* would find acceptable for this dynamic of people denying the existence of our sexuality?

I don't think bisexuals use "erasure" for emotional punch (I think we could do better than "erasure" if that was the goal). I really think we're just trying to have a word for something frustrating that we experience all too frequently.

15. bat

bat

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If I were to put this in very simple terms for someone I would say I see bisexualism as a label people end up with because they do not fit into any other box. So the bisexual bin is a nice place to call home instead of having no idea how to explain sexual orientation. Or, they are like me in that the gender of their partner does not determine sexual attraction or romantic capabilities. So, for me, bisexualism will always exist. Although, I would love to see a world where labels for sexual orientation became unnecessary and we could just go about our days loving whomever without the worry of the proper term for our love.

16. LooseMoose

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    But this is precisely the problem- what is the "realm of bisexuality"...?

Why not "the realm of pansexuality" or "the realm of fluidity" or "the realm of queerness"!?

As I have said before: "bisexual" apart from being broad term which is like a sack collecting all the sexual-orientation debris, has a *very specific social meaning* : and it is "likes v*gina and likes di*k"- and because of this reading, I don't wish to be associated with that term, because it is not true for me- and I find it offensive to have it forced onto me.

If we use the same word for bisexuality as an orientation and identity - and then also use "bisexual" as a general word to describe anyone who is somewhere on the edges of 'gay' or 'straight'- we are forcing the "bisexual identity" onto people who would not identify with it, because it is not true for them.

17. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Probably because bisexual is older, more well known, and encompasses those who identify as queer, pansexual, fluid, etc.

There's a difference between bisexual attraction, bisexual behavior, and bisexual identity. No one is forcing others to identify as bisexual; quite the opposite! Bisexuals are pressured to conform, to "pick a side". And from this thread, there's no shortage of denial of or hostility towards, bisexuality.

I see no harm in pointing out that many in the gay/lesbian communities have more fluid attractions than many are willing to confess, because there's no one set way to *be* gay/lesbian.

Identifying as bisexual (or gay, or pansexual, or anything other than straight) is a conscious choice. People can pressure you into fitting into one box or another, but at the end of the day, only you have the power to decide what you are, as many times as you wish, or not at all, if that makes you comfortable.

18. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Even that's a little strong, though it's orders of magnitude better (and more accurate) than "erasure." Even better would be, simply, "disrespect of bisexuals. "

19. Taly

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm sorry if I'm offending you? :/ I'm not forcing you to identify or do anything you don't want to do.

I'm not forcing the term of bisexuality on anyone. But the very definition of bisexual is attraction to both sexes romantically and/or sexually, which people tend to express sometime in their life - it may not be their identity completely, and they more strongly identify with something such as homosexuality, hetereosexuality, pansexuality, etc; but the idea of having attraction to both sexes is bisexuality.

If you identify with something else, or identify with being gay or straight furthermore - then ultimately that is something you identify yourself because of how it relates to you - I'm not trying to impose that people are bisexual, or demeaning anything that isn't identifying as bisexual.

Sexuality is fluid just because you're one thing doesn't mean you aren't something else in some other way or at another time; it's not always that simplified. There are people who identify with something else a lot more strongly, but that doesn't always mean that they have a concrete expression of sexuality.

There is more than just the spectrum and realm of bisexuality as you stated. But the realm of bisexuality is of course - what I've said previously. (two paragraphs up)

I'm sorry, I'm not sure if I'm completely grasping what you're trying to hear from me in this.

---------- Post added 9th Jul 2015 at 04:31 PM ----------

I'm beginning to feel stupid about all of this now... Sorry if I offended anyone. :frowning2:

20. CyclingFan

Sheesh, talk about overly dramatic emotional bullshit.

If you think that erasure in this context is evocative of the holocaust, that sounds like your issue.

Telling people that bisexuality doesn't exist is of a piece with waving away homosexuality as a disorder. It's telling that person that who they are isn't a real manifestation of personhood, that there's something wrong with them.