1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bisexual? Asexual? Medication?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Kellen388, Dec 17, 2021.

1. Kellen388

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm new here. Looking forward to many new conversations. I'm on an anti depressant. Every year I have less and less sexual drive or interest. The past couple years I've experimented with girls and I did enjoy that. I'm used to seeing guys. But recently I can't be bothered and want to crawl out of my skin when they try to even just cuddle. I'm wondering I should try women in a more romantic sense. Or am I maybe asexual? I never get really horny. When I drink maybe. But I rather get off myself.. I just feel lost and would like to open a conversation about it

2. BiGemini87

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello, @Kellen388! I'm by no means an expert, but it seems to me the antidepressant is likely the culprit for your diminished sex drive. I would also postulate that because you're used to guys, that maybe your sexual desire for them has suffered more as a result as well. You could be going through the "bi cycle", in which your attention is on one sex more than the other, which oftentimes happens when you first come to accept your bisexuality. So if this has been a fairly recent awakening, that could be contributing (at least in part).

I'd recommend checking with your doctor and discussing your medication to see if this is a known side effect. Otherwise, there are many factors that could be contributing--some of which I've mentioned, some of which could largely be influenced by other events in your life.

I hope this helps. :slight_smile:

TinyWerewolf and Rayland like this.
  3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd agree with BiGemini. SSRIs (the most common antidepressant today) in general, and some in particular, are notorious for negatively impacting sex drive. And depression itself is also notorious for sapping much or sometimes all sex drive.

So one of the first things is to talk to your doctor about whether your diminished sex drive is a byproduct of the particular medication you are on. If so, it may be worth switching to a different antidepressant; there are a couple in the SSRI class that tend to affect sex drive less than the others. Additionally, one of the biggest challenges of all psychotropic medications is that, far more so than almost any other class of drug, the non-specific effect (how a given drug impacts one individual differently than another) is an enormous variable in these class of drug.

So you and I might be prescribed the exact same drug, exact same dose, for the exact same condition, and have completely different effects. This makes prescribing for mental health issues almost an artform as much as a science.

I suspect that if you explore that route, you may find the answer to your questions simply by working with your doctor to adjust your medication.

I hope that helps!

TinyWerewolf, BiGemini87 and Rayland like this.