1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Birth Control

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by loveislove01, Dec 21, 2017.

1. loveislove01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am in a straight monogamous relationship currently, and we’re sexually active, including penetrative intercourse.

I always use condoms, but I’ve wanted to go on a second form of birth control for a while- for two reasons:
    - I don’t want to be pregnant
    - my periods are unbearable with cramps and heavy bleeding

The main concern I have about birth control are the side effects, and the fact that I have severe depression and anxiety (that I’m on medication for) and I’ve heard that birth control can worsen depression. Does anyone have suggestions? I understand that abstinence is the only fully effective way to prevent pregnancy and STDs and I am not looking to stop sexual activity. I’m aware of the consequences.

So thank you if you have any advice on it!

2. Lia444

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think you need to discuss this with your doctor as there are lots of different types of pills out there so it could be a case of trial and error to find one that doesn’t affect you.

Zen fix likes this.
  3. taken

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was just about to ask a question similar to this. I was on birth control several years ago. It didn't worsen my depression but definitely worsened my anxiety. Right now I'm dealing with terrible anxiety for at least a week on my period and thinking about asking my doctor for opinions on birth control due to this. I would talk to your doctor about your concerns and make sure they are hearing your concerns, communicating, and working with you.

4. SomecallhimTim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have pretty severe depression and anxiety, I've been on 3 kinds of birth control over the past year and I haven't had any problems with any of them. I think it really depends on the person and the specific medication.

Mihael likes this.
  5. Sawyer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Birth control affects people in different ways. If you go on the pill and find your depression and anxiety getting worse, you'd have to speak to your doctor about changing it.

Mihael likes this.
  6. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it would be a good idea to discuss it with your doctor. If you are using condoms you are already taking sensible precautions, but there are many other contraceptive options worth exploring. In my country (the UK) there are 15 different methods of contraception available and the best method depends on personal health and lifestyle factors. It's best to discuss it with your doctor to find the option that's right for you.

7. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Plus the pain and severity of the cramps might indicate other health issues you should get checked out. I know my wife has occasionally terrible cramps but she has cysts (I think that's how you spell them) on her ovaries. And to the most extent the pills help, but not 100% of the time. And as PatrickUK mentioned, there are other methods besides the pill.