1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bi stereotypes

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by gbxx33, Jan 9, 2016.

1. gbxx33

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm sure this has been discussed before in this forum, but bisexual stereotypes really piss me off. Typically I've noticed that bisexual guys are seen as gay in denial, whereas bisexual girls are straight but looking for attention. Both stereotypes are pretty harmful. (Yeah, I'm sure there are lots of "bisexual" guys and girls who fit those stereotypes, but obviously bisexuality is a totally legitimate identity and people shouldn't be making false assumptions about bisexual people just because a few people identify incorrectly.)
    Today I was hanging out with some friends. They were telling me about their guy friend who had recently come out as bi..... and then started dating a girl. They were talking about it as though it was so crazy. They were like "So he comes out as bi, and then the next week he has a girlfriend... wtf?" As though a bi guy can't be dating a girl.... as though bisexual doesn't mean attracted to more than one gender......
    Just rubbed me the wrong way :dry:

2. Harjus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I especially hate the myth of bisexuals cheating on their partners because they "need" the "other" gender (of course some might want that and it's ok too as long as you are honest about it). People cheat. Not just bi/pan/polysexuals. I have been cheated on by straight people. Are they all cheaters then too? Too often people declare that they won't date bisexuals "because they all cheat or leave them for a man/woman".

I am out as bisexual although it's a bit more complicated. People often think that I want everybody or that I am hypersexual. When I was presenting as a female women often used me to get attention from straight men. That's very disturbing in too many levels. And my straight boyfriend (again, while I was presenting as a female) was actually surprised after a couple of years when he realized that I really am a bi/pan/polysexual like I said in the beginning. He thought I just said so for some reason. And now he thinks I am a gay man. :eusa_doh: Yeah, both of the stereotypes you mentioned. But the moment when he completely froze and said (sounding like he was shocked to the core): "you.... y-you are... gay" was very funny. Poor thing. His mind was desperately trying to deal with the fact that he had been with a man for almost 6 years (and the fact that he would still be ok with continuing if the said man just looked like a female).

3. CyanChachki

I don't know if it's a stereotype, but I completely dislike it when straight people say something like "Men/women play with my mind all the time, I'm converting to women/men from now on" as if they could suddenly change their sexuality. Don't get me wrong, curiosity is fine.. but to pretend that they're something you're not, because sick of dating the opposite gender and just for the soul purpose of having a relationship isn't cool.

4. state-champs

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I hate the myth that bisexual people in general are seen as people who are ONLY looking to have a threesome or something outrageous like that. I've come out to guys on dating apps or just talking to guys on the whisper app (cuz they initiated a conversation) and they were all like "oh that's hot. would you be up for a threesome?" or "would you be looking for a friend with benefits?"

NO! I'm not here for your sexual pleasure or whatever. I have feelings too thanks. Bye ho.

#4 state-champs, Feb 8, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
  5. SHACH

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I hate the sort of attention-seeking stereotype. Makes me feel like coming out is just making too much of a big deal of things. Also, yeah the idea that girls who say they're bi are just straight and confused. That makes me almost wish I was lesbian because then at least people wouldn't be questioning the validity of my label. These two things that make it hard with my mother and make me feel hopeless about actually coming out to her.

6. Libra Neko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Lots of people don't even recognize bisexuality as real. Frustrating! They insist that bi people are just afraid to come out.

7. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I believe bisexuality is almost TOO real. I find that one stereotype holds true - if they can, some will indulge a little more so than someone who is monosexual. I see this more with bisexual men. If you think this is easy on and pleasant for your psyche, it's not. BTDT.

---------- Post added 8th Feb 2016 at 12:28 PM ----------

Worse yet, if they were to come out, then they are asked to pick a side or be told they are in denial.

8. flyingsublime8

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know that the one thing that prevented me from coming out to my parents or anyone for that matter was the fear that they would think I was faking it for the attention. When they asked me if I was gay I couldn't really say anything.

9. state-champs

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    in my case i think my mom and family would be more accepting if i had been gay and not pansexual. at least then i wouldn't have to explain to them what my sexuality means lol

10. AdverseYaw

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    THIS. I hate it when I get contacted by straight men, saying they think it's "exciting" that they think I'm bisexual and they ask if I'm up for a threesome. In fact, bisexual women that participate in threesomes are usually straight and they're doing it
    for attention from the guy. Once, a woman told me that she wouldn't let a girl touch her unless her boyfriend is also involved.

Also, I hate how straight men are so accepting of bisexual and lesbians women, going as far to stating that they are hot while they mentally and possibly physically harass gay men. They think women are objects for their pleasure! I always hate getting contacted on a dating site for a threesome! I am monogamous, get over it!

11. Spatula

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This one irks me the most. It's not just that people don't think bisexuality is real, many of the ones who agree that it's real still think it's very rare--to the point where they are skeptical about anyone who claims to be.

There is an admin on this site who has claimed on numerous occasions that the higher rate of suicide and depression among bisexuals is merely evidence that they were gays who just hadn't accepted who they were--and THAT was the source of their turmoil. Totally unwilling to admit that having your sexuality constantly audited and second-guessed and denied by everyone kinda fucks you up psychologically.

12. Feelunique

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I hate the stereotypes on bisexuality myself. I've been in commited relationships both ways in life. I've never been unfaithful to any partner ever. My biggest sin is looking at either or and thinking.....they are cute! I don't care! Get my mind, understand me, respect me, be honest, love me, and the sex part doesn't matter at all.