1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best sports detergent for binders?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by ErickWolf, Feb 23, 2024.

1. ErickWolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi everyone, I'm just wondering what sports detergent may be best for washing binders. I've been using Seventh Generation free and clear laundry pods for years now and have had binders for about 8 years now. I'm not new to binding or washing them, but I am wondering if sports detergent is good for them or if it is too harsh.

I have recently gotten a fungal infection on my feet and while I just recently started using the appropriate medication, disinfecting my shoes, etc, I am thinking of also getting a detergent that may have antifungal properties. I can't use hot water (it would irreparably destroy binders, not to mention everything else I own), and I use a communal laundry room, so I need to prevent it from spreading to other people. I also definitely do not want to end up with jock itch. Since I've noticed this infection in a fairly early stage, I'd already thrown some underwear and shirts in the same hamper as my socks before I realized that I likely have an infection (feet started peeling a bit earlier this week, and my shoes stink).

For now, I have ordered some Lysol laundry sanitizer and am going to try adding it to my laundry, as well as likely storing and washing any uncontaminated items as separately as possible. Hopefully it's not going to be too harsh on my binders if I end up needing to wash everything with it (if anyone here has used it, please let me know how it works and if it's too harsh for binders or any other clothing items for that matter).

Finally, throwing things out (except maybe the stinky old shoes once I replace them with new ones in a week or two, since they're worn out as well as stinky) is not an option. I can't afford to just throw a bunch of my clothes and shit away and replace them. Talking to the doctor about specific things like binders is also not an option for obvious reasons; that is why I am asking on here to see if anyone has any recommendations for laundry stuff. Thank you!

The sports detergents I'm considering so far are WIN, Hex, and Rockin Green. The stuff I'm currently using is great because it doesn't smell or irritate my nose and skin, and usually it works just fine to clean everything, but I'm considering these at least temporarily in case they can help clear this nasty shit up. The whole issue stems from my current stinky shoes, I think. I shower every day, keep the dorm and my clothes clean (I do laundry every week), and don't re-wear workout clothes or sweaty socks.

Obviously I am going to replace the shoes as soon as I am able to. Meanwhile, of course I need to be able to do laundry. The shoes I have right now aren't machine washable, and the only type of Lysol spray I can find at the local corner store smells way too strong and makes me cough and sneeze, so I'm using baking soda to help kill the odor and fungus. I could order some antifungal spray from a local drugstore and try it on my shoes if that will help, but for now I'm working with what I have available and can afford easily.

#1 ErickWolf, Feb 23, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2024