1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Being rejected after coming out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by unicornbrittney, Sep 14, 2012.

1. unicornbrittney

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    So a week from today I came out to my parents that I'm a lesbian. My parents are strongly against it and it has been one hard week. I don't know how to handle this. I feel like such a disappointment. They are constantly telling me how ashamed and embarrassed they are. I'm hoping things will get better eventually. But in the meantime I don't know how to handle everything. My family is trying to keep my girlfriend and I apart and I can't lose her right now.

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there, and welcome to EC! You have come to the right place for support. (*hug*)

I'm sorry to hear that your coming out hasn't gone well, and that your parents are having a hard time with it. Have they indicated to you why they are against it? Sometimes, education and providing resources to your parents to read and go through can help in creating bit of an understanding.

You are not a disappointment. Them telling you that they are ashamed and embarrassed is their reaction, and perhaps reflection of them wanting not to face the reality at this point.

From what you have indicated, it seems that your parents will take some time to come around to it and fully understand that this is you and that there is nothing that will change that. Your coming out has basically turned everything they know about you, and their belief system upside down. They have to come up with ways and strategies to be okay with that, not you.

Try to continue talking to your girlfriend, and also make sure that you draw support from your friends. Try to spend time with them as much as you can.

(*hug*)

3. Mercy

Mercy Guest

how old are you two ?