1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Being refused surgery due to hypothyroid

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Regaen, Jan 31, 2020.

1. Regaen

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So yeah. This happened two days age, and I am so beyond angry it isn't even a thing.

I was scheduled for a hysterectomy. I'm asexual, and after a year in therapy they decided yes, I can have this elective surgery. (My insurance has some odd rule, you have to be over 40 or have 2 kids to elect for this) It was scheduled and everything.

Then everything snowballed. I went to the dentist. Was told I have a few cavities, no problem. But she said my blood pressure was odd, and due to anesthesia, I'd need clearance from my primary care.

Went to my PC, and he wanted a complete blood workup. See, I've been on a diet for years. Admittedly, I cheat a lot. Because I've never lost weight, diet and exercise or no, and I've basically said the heck with it.

My weight management has always been a problem. I've had blood work before. Many times. One time, not even three years age I asked for a thyroid panel. My doc at the time didn't even look at it before telling me that I was fat because I made bad choices, not because of my health, and that my weight wasn't a disease symptom.

Well, new doc looked them over and flagged several things, including hypothyroidism. While I'm grateful I finally I'm going to get what I need, the problem is twofold.

One- why did it take a doc not even looking for that to find it? I've been having regular blood work for ten years! How many times did a doc I trusted just not care enough to write me a script?

Second- because of this, they're saying I can't have my surgery. Apparently, the hormones I'd need to take afterwards and the thyroid pills I need to be on will make me too much of a risk. HOW? How are those two things even related?! I feel like they just don't want to give me the surgery because it's classed as elective due to 'gender reassignment'. I am so angry right now.

I don't know what to do now.