1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Being gay in college?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by choni, Jun 27, 2017.

1. choni

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey guys, so I'm going to college soon (I mean not that soon but I've been thinking about this), and I don't know what to do about my roommate. Should I tell her that I am gay before we actually go to school? I don't want it to be where I go and it's something she would be uncomfortable with. I know some of my friends who aren't against homosexuality but would feel less comfortable sharing a room with a homosexual. Like, they've said someone who they shared a bed with for a summer (idk remember exactly why) came out as gay at the end, and she felt a little uncomfortable knowing she slept with her for all that time. I don't want it to be like that when with a future roommate, but I don't know if it's weird to just say it beforehand. What would you do?

2. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Honesty is always the best policy. People in college will eventually find out, anyway.

choni likes this.
  3. choni

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, I wouldn't hide being gay but I just didn't know if I should say anything beforehand.

4. DirectionNorth

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    In my opinion- and I could be wrong- I think you should say something beforehand, even if casually, as long as they know. Do you know if it was the homosexuality she had a problem with or just that she didn't know for a long time? It's really hard to say how they might feel, but a heads up and honesty are important. Are they gossipy or two-sided? That would be my only concern if you tell them beforehand, but if they're nice, I don't think it would be a problem.

choni likes this.
  5. iliketolift1

A laundry room. Pretty happy here. I think...
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I would say just tell em before hand, as long as its safe for you then its always nice to be 100% open. Especially if you are going to be living in close quarters with your friends.

choni likes this.
  6. choni

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No, my friend isn't two-sided. I don't think it was the fact the other girl was gay bothered her, more so that she was gay and they shared a bed. I know some straight people can feel uncomfortable like us homosexuals are going to make a move or something, lol

7. DirectionNorth

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh I see. Hmm, I'm not sure what to say then, although I still do think say something. It'd be easier if it was just she was upset about the not saying anything.

Would you be able to say everything? Meaning that you were ware to say something because of that, but even so, you thought it'd be better to say something, etc. I'm not sure how to change their minds about that stereotype though, or I'm not sure what to call it when straight girls are scared of getting hit on by gays.

8. choni

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, I'm not really worried about my friend as much. I was just using it for reasoning as to why I was considering telling my roommate before we get there as like a disclaimer. I think I'm just going to tell her, however awkward it has to be haha