1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Barbara Walters 20/20

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by beckyg, Apr 29, 2007.

1. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Did anybody catch 20/20 on Friday night? I almost feel like I shouldn't be posting this under "entertainment". It was sooo good! It was about transgender children. These were kids who knew they were born in the wrong body as early as 2 and 3 years old. If you go to abcnews.com and click on 20/20 you will see transcripts from the shows. I plan on showing this at my June PFLAG meeting.

2. c_jayo6

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    omg...I saw it and it was soo good and informative. It was a true eye-opener for me because I never really understood that whole issue. Kudos to those amazing parents who are letting those kids be there true selves. There should be more parents like that in the world. I think everyone should watch that special.

3. GuitarGirl1350

I watched the whole hour and it was incredible. I really applaud those parents. Instead of forcing their children to be their physical selves, they allowed them to be happy. Some parents won't do that. I especially liked the one woman who said her heart broke for children who's parents couldn't put aside their own hatred and bigotry to give them the support they desperately need. She was nearly crying at that...

4. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Yesterday I spent some time reading posts on ABCnews.com . One guy lost his transgender daughter two months ago to suicide. I hope this program will educate parents and others on this issue so these kids can grow up happy and healthy.

Most of the posts were very positive and supportive with just a few exceptions. There was the usual "God made Adam and Eve" and their is no variance on human sexuality or gender. Then their was some people who said these parents should be arrested for child abuse. Those were pretty hostile.

I've met several adult transgender people and I bet they would have loved to have parents like that.

5. TWOBOUT

TWOBOUT Guest

To All, I did not see the show however; I can speak from experience. I was one of those children who know early on in life that I was different. I was forced to "maintain" the proper gender you may say. This was in the late 50's and 60's, when gay or transgender was very much taboo; more so than now. I had fought this all my life until one day I awoke and found that my life was unimportant and I did attempt suicide; as a result of the failed attempt I discovered That i was NOT unimportant and sought out the best professionals that I could find in order to complete myself. You has to take in consideration onee's own mental health verses everyone's view of what should be. I was dis-owned by family and friends but continued to fulfill my life. Today, some of my family has grown to appreciate me and my endeavors and others have not; however the fact remains that today I am a succesful "woman" who has gone from despair to a fullfilling life of enjoyment. Through the troubles,time,pain, sufferring,and expense one may ask;"is it worth it?' I say YES! I have gone from a "geeky" littleboy to a (in all modesty) a fine looking woman. I say this for those who are in doubt you may say,or who are confused. If anyone in these circumstances are in need to talk to someone I am free to try and help the best I can, you e-mail me. I really hope that this help even just one person!!
    " LIVE AND LET LIVE"

6. Jim1454

Hi Twobout! Thanks for joining into this thread, and welcome to EC! Sounds like you've had quite a journey. It will be inspiring to a lot of people that you've come out on the other side has content and comfortable as you are.

Again, welcome!

7. TWOBOUT

TWOBOUT Guest

HELLO & Thank-YOU!!
    I know that my response should have gone to another thread, but I had to add my thought's.