1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Awkward Situation

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Alex2, Mar 6, 2022.

1. Alex2

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So, I'm out to my mom, but not my dad yet. Because I'm only out to one parent, physically presenting myself in a gender-neutral way has been a challenge, and as of right now, I still look very masculine despite dressing in the most gender-neutral clothing I can find. I've intentionally avoided bringing up the topic of haircuts with my dad for a while, but my parents are planning for me to get a haircut in as little as one day. Over the years, I've gotten used to acting fine whenever my parents make me get a haircut, but this time is different since I have plans to start socially transitioning at school, and if my appearance suddenly becomes more masculine than it already is, that might conflict with these plans. How can I convince my parents to wait without raising suspicions from my dad?

2. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know if your parents are liberal minded or conservative minded, but generally speaking, liberal minded parents will give their kids a bit of freedom when it comes to style and identity, even if they are not aware of all of the facts.

You are out to your mom, so could you tell her how you feel and see if she can smooth things out with your dad without going into great detail?

3. Alex2

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks for the advice, Patrick. If only I had seen it sooner - my mom actually gave me a haircut last night about half an hour after I made this thread. Thankfully, she was able to cut it in a way where it still looks fairly neutral, but I'll be sure to keep what you said in mind the next time I have to get a haircut. When it comes to my parents' liberal vs. conservative beliefs, they can be a bit mixed. My mom has always leaned very liberal, but my dad is pretty divided depending on the issue. My mom claims that he's supportive of the LGBTQ+ community, but I haven't heard him say that himself, so I'm not sure how much of what she's told me is the truth vs what she sugarcoated.