1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Awkward digestive question (IBS)

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Revan, Mar 5, 2021.

1. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello folks,

So this is an awkward question but who knows, someone might have suggestions.

Pretty much I deal with IBS, and yesterday had probably one of the worst flare-ups I've had (picture flat on the ground, in pain that lasted for about five hours.)

I'm more or less just wondering if anyone who may deal with this has any good tips on how to better help one's digestion. I'll admit I'm working on what I eat, especially past year, more greens ,try and cut back on some of the starch, more fibre. Also have taken Metamucil and Align, but not sure how well either truly are working.

Any tips are appreciated as would really like to find better ways to manage so I'm not in such a situation more often as I age. Past two flare ups happened thankfully while staying with my parents during the pandemic, but as I'm sure I'll have to return to my actual home eventually and as I live alone, I'd like to be able to limit chances this happens when I'm on my own.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. :slight_smile:

2. old tacoma

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I’m not a physician, so my suggestion is not medical advice. I have found regular drinking of cranberry juice or eating fresh papaya to be useful. If you want to make a comfort-food, take your favorite chicken soup and add a small amount of minced/crushed ginger to the broth.

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Gabor Maté's book "The Body Says No" talks extensively about IBS, Crohn's and other malaises of the gut, and how there are strong emotional elements that contribute to them. It's an excellent read that will give you a new perspective on how to address the underlying issues.

4. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks both of you, I'll take this advice to mind. Absolutely recognize there may not be in terms of advice from health experts, but I do find sometimes good to get thoughts from others who may struggle with similar issues. It's not one size fits all, but always appreciate hearing from others :slight_smile:

5. Loves books

I have almost daily stomach problems and doctors say it’s IBS. I keep medication on me all the time in case it’s needed. I have Buscopan for the pain from cramping , Motilium for nausea and Imodium for the opposite. I have found that adhesive heat pads are useful when I’m out. I use a hot water bottle at home which helps. I drink Cranberry Juice regularly and I don’t think it’s helping it really seems to have the opposite effect. Mint is supposed to be good for digestion. I haven’t found anything to stop the problem and I’ve seen lots of doctors including a gastroenterologist who couldn’t help.

6. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm sorry to hear that...yeah mine's been OK though I did have another flare-up last night. I cannot imagine how it must be dealing daily...:frowning2:

7. ShyBirdy

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I have IBS too, and I'm not a Dr or medical pro. I do find probiotic pills like Align help me a lot. You could also try vitamin D. I have anxiety as well, which really impacts my IBS, so I'm getting treatment for my anxiety too. I have found that relaxation exercises, yoga and meditation have really helped my stomach, and I do a progressive muscle relaxation exercise everyday.

If you're really struggling, I'd suggest talking to a Dr, as there may be more things they can do medically, like medication.

8. Loves books

I’m not sure doctors know everything. If they can’t figure out what’s wrong they call it IBS. I saw a doctor who’s idea of diagnosis was to prescribe a different medication each time I saw him. I’ve had cameras inside, I was tested for celiac disease (negative)because it runs in my family I even had a bowel scan. Nothing found.

9. sojabohnenfeld

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have had some similar problems. Have you heard of fodmap? It's horrible, but you might find it helpful. I avoid many foods -- like peaches, cheese, and many artificial sweeteners.

If it makes you feel any better, I at least know your pain. I have been woken up in the middle of the night by stomach pain -- and that's a very rare occurrence but I felt like I was dying. If you have diarrhea, it's important to get many tests at the doctor.

Also, I take peppermint oil and other more natural medicine. For me, this stops pain.

All I have to say is, once this issue is more controlled, you will feel very strong. Because stomach pain is very challenging, but it will make you a more adaptive person in the end, as horrible as it is. In the USA, many of the foods they feed us as healthy are not healthy at all. You just have to learn what to avoid. Maybe this helps