1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Australia's High Court - Marriage Equality Invalid

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by BiPenguin, Dec 11, 2013.

1. BiPenguin

Australia's High Court has ruled that the Marriage Act created by the A.C.T. Government has invalid. Every person married under this act over the past five days are now invalid and have no legal standing.

This is a sad day for Australia. I can only see this encourage what has already been a hate filled Government that is torturing refugees, threatening to expose them(in camp at PNG) to the PNG Government where it is illegal to be homosexual, etc.

Same-sex marriage laws overturned by High Court

The High Court's summary: http://www.hcourt.gov.au/assets/publications/judgment-summaries/2013/hca55-2013-12-12.pdf

2. What?!?!?!!!! Australia is one of the most accepting places I know! The high court should overturn the Marriage Amendment Bill of 2004!

3. Ruthven

Am I dropping into a parallel dimension? Seriously what is going on with this and India?

4. BiPenguin

I personally find Australia to be unsupportive of the different. Reports are coming out of Australia torturing asylum seekers, etc. From a source of mine, I hear that they are going to start removing the mentally ill from receiving disability benefits next. And they have refused a Somalian woman who is an asylum seeker to have bullets removed which she received while fleeing despite it costing the Government nothing at all.

:tears:

5. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As an outsider, sometimes Australia seems to have this kind of 'rugged individualism' that reminds me a lot of the US state of Alaska, which is also very conservative, this sort of 'fend for yourself' mentality. A kind of frontiersman gruffness, if you will. And one that seems to overlook minorities, and the poor.

It seems Australia has gotten a lot more conservative in the past decade...weird censorship laws, now this. Very sad.

I hope other countries don't keep trending in this direction...what forces/fears were at play when this new president/prime minister was elected?

6. Australia has this laid-back appearance. Surprisingly, you guys have some of the strictest laws regarding immigration But yeah, about that Somalian woman seeking asylum, I think it's because of Australia's strict immigration laws. There was actually a poll held at Australia and over 70% of Australia is pro-gay rights.

I think the recent events of Australia being close-minded is due to Australia being under the Liberal Party.

7. Sully

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHABAAHAHABAHABAHABAHAJAJAJAJAJA!!!!!!!!! Yes, that's how we like to appear to the rest of the world, however it's far from the truth!

Since the Abbot government has come in, the country has well and truly turned to shit. They just gave the go ahead the dredge part of the Great Barrier Reef!

8. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No. Both major parties are conservative. We're not a "laid-back people" as we're constantly told we are. We're extremely arrogant, judgemental, and extraordinarily racist, sexist, and classist. It's all very accepting until you realise it's not and try to change it; then see how we truly are.

This did come as a result of political opportunism from the ACT government, along with the conservatism of the federal government. I don't know why people thought it would happen.

9. Zam

Zam

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Meanwhile in Canada....

[​IMG]

Sorry,Australia,but your only advantage is the hot weather,nothing else.

10. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I had heatstroke all last week and fainted this week.

I think I want to emigrate.

11. Ruthven

lol I love this so much. :lol:

That is beautiful. Canada's looking better and better to me seriously.

12. Foxface

two countries turning back in one month...India and now this

how sickening

Foxface

13. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I really hate legalism. It's too separated from moral values. Australian constitutionalism must work a lot differently than in the United States. If one of our states offers more rights than guaranteed under federal law or the federal constitution, then the state simply offers more rights. It's not that the state has "overreached" its constitutional boundary.

14. sokk

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    You're right. 79 % of Australians feel that society should accept homosexuality, according to this report: The Global Divide on Homosexuality | Pew Global Attitudes Project That's almost 20 % more than in USA.

15. KazTastic

In Australia, States have the same rules.

However territories (such as the Australian Capital Territory, who attempted to legalise SSM this year, and the Northern Territory, who attempted to legalise euthanasia about 15 years ago) can have their laws knocked back by bigoted governments.

16. BiPenguin

Australian State Governments would now struggle to get Marriage Equality up now.

17. MrAllMonday

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I love this post so much. Especially that laugh. Now you have what it takes to rule the world.

Anyway what on Earth is going on? One minute I'm hearing countries are accepting homosexuality and now they are going against it.

18. SongshiQuan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, they couldn't let all those torches and pitchforks go to waste...

19. Adi

Adi

Out Status:
    A few people
    Pretty surprised Italy is so high.

20. burg

err no new zealand on their world map