1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Attending a funeral with estranged family

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by staticinmyattic, Apr 25, 2023.

1. staticinmyattic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    My great aunt died yesterday. She was a very big part of my childhood, but we saw each other less and less as time passed. I'm pretty shaken up by it, and I'm very sad that I did not make more of an effort to see her more later in her life. I took today off from work to grieve and help my dad if necessary (I'm his only nearby family and sometimes needs help due to visual impairment). Apparently the 3 other people at my job who do what I do also called out, which resulted in a group e-mail reading us the riot act for all calling out and that we'll have to reapply for our jobs to continue them in the fall. So I got pseudo-not-quite fired.

I'm terrified of the funeral. My younger brother has been verbally and physically abusive toward me since he became an alcoholic as a teenager. Several stints in rehab later, he is sober. Soberish. Either he still drinks and lies about it or the temper and anger were just his personality, not the booze. In the days leading up to his wedding last fall, he let loose some of the worst verbal abuse he's ever come up with, and I decided to not attend the wedding and cut contact. We left things at him making a plan to not mourn my death or attend my funeral. I think about it almost every day, and the mention of my brother's name activates my fight, flight, or freeze response. Typically I freeze.

He will in all likelihood be coming up from out of state for the funeral. I don't want to see him, I don't want to talk to him, and I don't want to answer questions from the rest of the family about why I wasn't at his wedding. I'm simultaneously grieving, stressing about my job, and dreading an encounter with a person who scares the living shit out of me.

It just occurred to me that I have yet to ask for advice. I have absolutely no idea what to ask. So...uh...is Yellowjackets worth watching?

2. Really

Aw. That’s rough. Condolences on your loss. I’d say just try not to engage with that brother. You’ve done nothing wrong and really don’t need to let in any of his abuse. If you can, simply pretend you can’t hear him. If he’s going to kick off, ignore him and let others wonder who or what he’s going on about. Hopefully, he can at least behave at a funeral. Fingers crossed.

As for your job, can they really fire you over taking bereavement leave? Doesn’t seem legal to me but you’d have to check, I guess. On the other hand, if this is how they behave generally, threatening firings, etc, maybe it’s time to look for something else. Ugh.

I’ve only seen the first season of Yellowjackets but it wasn’t bad. Couldn’t hurt to try it. :}

Good luck with everything. You’ve got this. :left_facing_fist:

3. staticinmyattic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks. It’s a public education position, so while they can’t fire a person specifically for taking bereavement, they can open the position to applicants rather than renew our contracts

4. buzzer

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow, that's a lot you are carrying on your shoulders. Hope all goes well for you.

5. chicodeoro

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Hi Static, will your wife be supporting you at the funeral? I agree with Really, it sounds like it's best not to engage with your brother. If you have someone else with you though, he's a lot less likely to behave in a threatening manner.

Funerals can be - and often are - stressful events. I hope you manage to get through this one ok.

Hugs, Beth

6. staticinmyattic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    My wife will be there with me, thank goodness. I’m considering going to the wake but not the funeral. I’m not catholic, and for a large number of reasons I don’t and wouldn’t attend catholic mass. In that case I’ll go to the wake.