1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are you stereotypical?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Comet, Jun 10, 2016.

1. Comet

We all know that there are definitely stereotypes for most sexualities, which are not a good way to try to find out what sexuality someone is, because you shouldn't guess what/who someone is based on how they act.

That being said, are you stereotypical?

Personally, being a lesbian, I wear a lot of flannel, had a pixie cut, don't wear makeup, watch shows with lesbians in it, and I'm sure there's more. To me it's kind of a "since I'm not fully out I may as well just let people assume" type of thing.

2. derVaminoi

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I look pretty masculine but behave and talk in a feminine way, and not like it's forced, it's how I naturally am. So.. I guess, sort of?

#2 derVaminoi, Jun 10, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
  3. Wagram

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    i got long hair and wear punkish/grungy clothes, didnt have anyone guess I was gay without me telling so guess im not really fitting gay stereotypes

4. Fedora Mun

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My body is fairly masculine, but my voice and the way I act and dress (no I don't cross dress) are very stereotypical. The first person I came out to I had never seen or talked to before but as soon as I said hi to her she remarked "OH my God are you gay?!?!" she guessed it simply from my voice and how I act. So yes I am stereotypical, and I wouldn't be any other way.

#4 Fedora Mun, Jun 10, 2016
  5. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm pretty eccentric and extremely introverted, so would probably fit some kind of oddball loner stereotype.

As for gender or sexuality, I am fairly masculine. But actually, being queer allows me to feel free to be flamboyant if I want. It's funny because I've always been drawn in by feminine men. Even as a kid I found gay guys oddly comforting and appealing, whilst my family averted their eyes and spoke in hushed tones of disbelief. Anyway I'm not very stereotypically gay I suppose, not quite yet. If anything I seem(ed) like a butch lesbian to outsiders, instead of a bloke.

#5 Kodo, Jun 10, 2016
  6. Vasily

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not very stereotypical. I strongly believe that stereotypes about gays are way too exaggerated version of reality. I am a little shy, a little bit feminine inside, but not that much. I can be masculine and feminine depending on circumstances. Most of the time just neutral. I wear typical male clothes, except maybe for pink shirts and girly sunglasses. Nobody can guess that I am gay, unless they see me wearing pink shirt I suppose.

7. AlamoCity

If I told you where I like to shop at the outlets (at the clearance section, I find it very hard to pay retail for anything that is already marked up to the stratosphere), you might say it's a bit stereotypical: Williams-Sonoma, Pottery Barn, Yankee Candle (best neutral Christmas gifts that aren't gift cards), vineyard vines, Brooks Brothers. My sister says I have the shopping habits of a middle-age woman. At the same time, a lot of how I shop is based on my dad's habits. He got me to go to Bath and Body Works (also for gifts).

At the same time, I can get lost for hours at a Cabela's or Bass Pro Shop.

I also tend to dress a bit "preppy" which some equate to "gay."

Mannerism and language wise, I'd say I'm neutral-masculine. I also tend to be more on the analytical side, decent in math and science. College-wise, I didn't major in a stereotypical subject. I got a degree in economics which doesn't scream "gay" to some like theater, music, child development, social work, early childhood, etc.

8. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Hmm... I've been called a "stereotypical trans girl"... ^^ About sexuality... I mean, can you be stereotypically bi/pan? Is that, like, a thing? I don't conform to any stereotypes much, I think. I'm a feminine person if that answers your question in any way... ^^

9. bookreader

Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm a bit feminine, hang out with a lot of girls, very sassy. But I'm also human, so I procrastinate, fart, poop, burp, sleep, very lazy, etc.

10. Eveline

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My first instinct was to say yes but It is hard for me to pinpoint anything that I do that can be perceived as stereotypical. I tend to change my point of view fairly fast and it probably doesn't give me the stability of perception needed to take on stereotypical behavior. I guess the closest that I come to being stereotypical is stereotypically INFP which makes sense as I am so strongly close to the edge of the scales with regards to the four personality traits.

11. RGEm

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Are there stereotypes for bi people? I do like wearing flannel shirts, and I don't often wear makeup. When I was a child, I found it easier to hang out with boys rather than girls? Not really sure.

12. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not really. I have a few "feminine" relating hobbies/likes, but I think any straight guy without a super fragile perception of masculinity, would be the same.

As far as my interest in girls and some of the things I say/text, I'd say I can be pretty damn gay. But based on the way I carry myself, I don't think too many people realize how gay it is.

13. Justinian20

I am not very stereotypical although I do have an stronger feminine side than my masculine. I think a lot more like a girl than a male, I do dress well and try to match my clothes together. I admittedly would love to have more colourful clothes and I may decide to buy womens shirts because I admit I have tried on a couple of my moms clothes in private, and a lot of them just looked better than mens clothes especially on me.

So in retrospect I kind of am a very stereotypically gay guy but one thing stands in my way, my family basically saying boys can't buy or wear girl's stuff.
    I know if I buy what I really want my parents will just completely judge me for being girly in fact they'll insinuate I want to be a girl because of me buying feminine products. Which is not true I mean I have feminine deodorant, moisturiser, facial creme, hand and nail creams and a feminine body wash. I am happy being a boy though I just want to be able to express myself in the ways I want to.

Another thing is I do have a feminine gait when I walk, but I believe I do not have a stereotypical voice.

14. Glowing Eyes

Depends.
    I wouldn't say I'm really the stereotypical transwoman. I'm not really into dresses, long hair, or loads of make-up (although I would like a little bit). I love violent movies and video games.
    But based on sexuality, I could be considered the stereotypical lesbian because of this.

15. faustian1

No, definitely not. When I was younger, gay folk had nearly convinced me there was such a thing as "gaydar."

At this much later time, and after hooking up with a few people over the years, I can say for sure there is no such thing as gaydar, and stereotypes are well....

...a stereotype is what we in math and science might call a "first approximation." There are truths, and half-truths, in stereotypes but they aren't conclusive. First approximations may be modified. So yeah, if I see a guy with a haircut that's "too good" or one of dozens of other stereotypical markers, I might think "gay." It's interesting how many times I've been wrong when I said "gay," and how many times I've been wrong when I've said "straight." For those who aren't one or the other, I guess I could be right more often. :slight_smile:

#15 faustian1, Jun 11, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
  16. ForeverMe

I'm VERY feminine most of the time...I LOVE dresses and skirts and sewing and cooking...I have long hair...all things that suggest "straight girl" more than anything else. I do like some masculine-ish things, but relatively few.

I am very different from most of my friends though. I enjoy intellectual conversation, I don't like social media, I don't like gossip.

17. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I suppose I look like a fairly stereotypical investment banker. I sure hope I don't act like it--a lot of people in my industry are sort of jerks. As far as the gay thing it's hard to say. Most straight people are surprised I'm gay, but most gay guys can tell...

18. RosePetals76

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not overtly stereotypical. I'd probably be described as a chapstick lesbian or a timboy, but most people wouldn't pick up on me being a lesbian if I didn't tell them.

19. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not really, actually.

For trans guy stereotypes, I'm not the guy with a super short haircut, layered clothing and hyper masculine presentation. Pretty much the only stereotype I seem to fit would be being short, and I have no control over that.

For gay stereotypes, I don't think I fit a lot of them either. I don't look particularly feminine and don't have stereotypically gay interests like fashion and pop music. Most people can't tell that I'm gay, even some gay guys apparently.

20. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well…I mean… yes and no really.

I don’t own much flannel, only one flannel bag which I’m not sure I even own anymore, and my flannel cat pyjamas (how stereotypical of me) :lol:

I think I’m less stereotypical then I was. Sometimes people say I have a “masculine” walk though. Some people have flat out asked me if I'm gay, whereas others have been surprised to find out.

http://emptyclosets.com/forum/anony...999-bullying-how-can-complicate-identity.html

In terms of mannerisms and voice- it varies. I have some masculine traits, but I also have feminine traits to my mannerisms. I talk with my hands a lot since my voice tends to become monotonous, so I use it as a way to try and keep interest from people, and to try and convey what meaning I’m going for.

I also use feminine mannerisms as a source of humour- I like to make fun of myself by means of over-acting some of these things like jokey jazz hands followed by a “woo!” at otherwise mediocre news/events as a means of sarcasm.

Usually I’ll use some masculine mannerisms without even thinking, like with the way I sit and things like that. I usually don’t really realise I’m doing it, but when say people film me when I’m not looking and I look back at the footage it’s kind of obvious looking back on it.

I have quite long hair, and I am often presumed to be straight (except some people claim they can tell I’m gay from the first moment I meet them, so it really varies). I get more people asking if I’m gay when I have my hair in a low ponytail than when I just have it loose though.

My voice can vary, sometimes it’s really high and other times it can get quite low. When it’s low it can get quite monotonous (hence the hand movements) but that’s less of an issue when it’s high. It really depends on the situation, and who I’m with- it can affect my voice quite drastically. When it’s low I think it can come across quite stereotypical.

My interests- some of them are stereotypical. Like my love of cats, field hockey, watching Carmilla, obsessing over Natasha Negovanlis… (Don’t judge me) :icon_redf :grin: my lack of interest in make-up, fashion and shopping. Unless it has an electronics shop. :grin:

The fact I’m not keen on wearing dresses and skirts…that kind of thing.

Also rainbows, rainbows are cool. :grin:

The fact I work in a subject that’s predominantly male (IT department- web design).

However, I do like baking, singing, writing poetry/stories and hula-hooping so…yeah. It’s all good. Also, my interest in musicals. People tend to joke that I should’ve been a gay man because of this. (No offense. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

Also, I’m left handed and I have a bigger ring finger on both of my hands than my index. And I have a sister and I’m the youngest (I know there’s been studies on males and their brothers and birth order- I’ve read a few rare ones about the birth order of females, but other articles contradict and disagree with them which is usually the case with internet articles.

Plus, in general the articles I’ve seen on female sexuality tend to be rubbish and usually just go along the lines of “lol women, who understands them am I right? And now about male sexuality…” But I mean…if anyone can find me some decent articles on female sexuality I’d happily check them out. :slight_smile:

TL: DR: I have some masculine mannerisms, but my behaviour tends to be fairly androgynous leaning towards feminine but my appearance is quite feminine despite the lack of make-up. It can really depend on my mood, and sometimes I just have more stereotypical days than others. :slight_smile: :eusa_danc

#20 Canterpiece, Jun 11, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2016