1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are you "out" in your professional life?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by mapleluv, Dec 7, 2014.

1. StephenB

StephenB Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I came out at work 10, almost 11 years ago. I worked at a campground with ~40 coworkers, most of which were rednecks. Of the 40, 2 or 3 refused to even admit they knew, 2 took it horribly, one of which apologized a few weeks later. The others were perfect.

I've been out in my 3 jobs since then. I now work for a 50 year old indian couple, managing their hotels. They're good friends, and he even asks me about my dating life frequently. He's funny, albeit ocassionally stupidly annoying questions. I foster an open work environment, I have employees from Iraq, Afghanistan, Russia, Jamaica, several south American countries, etc. I have one lesbian employee, one bisexual, and a handful of others through the years. I guess its one of the advantages of being the boss. I get to set the mood.

2. Gambit

I'm not out at work yet. I'm a researcher in a graduate program. I constantly debate whether to come out at work or not. I wouldn't mind coming out to my labmates and other students in the program, I bet they would be fine with it. I'm just worried that my adviser and graduate committee's opinion of me as a researcher may get negatively impacted by my sexual orientation, and recommendations in the science field can make or break your career. Not everyone in science is liberal and open-minded, especially here in the South. Yet, I'm tired of being closeted because I hang out a lot with my labmates, and keeping the "straight" facade is becoming tiresome.

3. mapleluv

I guess I should post my own on here!

I work in childcare as the program coordinator for our 0-3 programs, which includes running all of our parent ed & community outreach programs. I'm out to all of the staff at our center. Everyone has been beyond supportive of me. We're selected as a liberally-minded bunch (my boss grew up in a hippie commune as the love-child of two bisexual partners), so I hadn't anticipated any backlash.

What I'm more anxious about is being out to the parents of the children at our center & the community at large, because so much of being successful in my work depends on my personal reputation. I definitely "look straight" & it's not like sexuality comes up as a topic in general conversation, so it won't be an issue until I have a steady girlfriend/partner who I'll bring to community events with me. I guess I'll cross that bridge when I come to it!