1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are you gay? University of Iowa wants to know!

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by cloudburn, Dec 14, 2012.

1. cloudburn

2. J Snow

Well University of Iowa is my college's rival, and I must say, I think we are both quite ahead of the curve when it comes to queer progress. I guess that's another thing we are competitive in =P

3. DhammaGamer

I wish they had something like this on the US census. Having an accurate depiction of the size of the queer demographic is incredibly important. Yay to this university for doing their best to meet the needs of all of their students regardless of sexuality or gender identity.

4. cloudburn

I agree whole-heartedly.

5. I am surprised that it took this long for something to happen. But now that it is, FINALY!

6. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is a cool piece of news, but rather unsurprising for me. When I applied to the University of Victoria, that was one of their questions. I think their questions was something like "do you belong to a racial or sexual minority?"

7. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think that this is a great idea. I wish that they would do it at my school.

8. SomeNights

As long as they keep it to a demographic usage only. I'd be concerned if they started using it as an admissions criteria

9. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Hmm, I'm sorta in the process of maybe applying to law schools at this point, and several of them have had "I identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender" boxes on their applications, and there is also an LGBTQ box on the Law School Admission Council website account profile. (A lot of applications also invite applicants to write optional "diversity statements" which specifically include things like sexual orientation)

I don't remember my undergraduate application process much, but I'm surprised this is such a new and revolutionary move at the undergrad college level.

10. Doctor Faustus

There's a substantial queer contingent at my uni, but if they did something like this, that would be great.

11. FemCasanova

God, the commentaries on that page was a depressive read. I am kind of worried on their behalf, considering I am the one who is supposed to have english as a second language, yet a majority commenting on that page obviously hadn`t managed to understand what the article was actually saying, lol! A large number tried to say that it was a sneaky way to get accepted as a minority, though the article said they had already been accepted. And then some seemed to think it would affect housing, though the article said it was simply for the purpose of being able to give out information related to support, resources, etc. Odd that.

And the consistent comparisons with "If we tolerate homosexuals today, will we tolerate incest and thievery in 10 years??". Is the difference there really so hard to see? Ignorant people make my head spin.

12. WilliamM

WilliamM Guest

That is pretty cool i havent seen any applications that had something like that on it. The comments on the page were pretty hurtful damn homophobes

13. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I originally thought 'ok invasion of privacy much?' but then thought about it and realized it's actually quite a good thing, especially also the adding of transgender as a gender option. To me the latter part actually is even more wonderful because it really shows their recognition of transgender. :slight_smile:

14. IrisM

If I had money I'd go to school there.

15. jdeb1992

Awesome. We have a gay/straight alliance at our school, but nothing like that...

16. Asari

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is really cool! I also go to a school that is very LGBTQ friendly and hope to take advantage of the resources for our community next semester :slight_smile:

17. Rainbow Music

Interesting, I am actually really glad that there is no judgement on the LGBTQ community at that school.

18. Michal2012

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well I am not Gay.

19. person54

Well at least not from faculty/staff/administration. I went there for a few semesters and while most of the students seemed to be lgbt friendly, it's the only place I've ever had fag yelled at me while walking down a street with a friend.

That being said Iowa City is awesomely progressive and it's a really interesting place.