1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are you comfortable with getting older?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by biggayguy, Jul 9, 2013.

1. biggayguy

My avatar is the real me. Do you think my beard looks distinguished or does it just make me look old? How many of you are comfortable with getting older?

2. KingdomKeyDK

Just because you have gray hair doesn't mean that you're old. At least I don't think so. I want to get older, but I'm going to miss childhood later on.

3. Jim1454

I'm comfortable getting older. At least I am for now. I'm 42 this year, and part of the reason I'm comfortable getting older is because I feel better now (emotionally and physically) than I likely ever have in my life. Not to say that things are perfect - especially on the emotional side - but they're pretty darn good.

Physically I started to lose my hair in my 20s. That was frustrating. But I was able to accept it and let it go. But then I kept gaining weight - and that was frustrating. But 4 years ago I decided to turn that around and I lost 50lbs and I've kept it off. I exercise almost every day, and as a result I'm in the best shape of my life physically.

We all get older, chronologically. I'm not sure we need to get older in our attitudes and outlook. My husband and I still like to go dancing - at home and when we travel. We're certainly among the older people in the club, but that's OK. We still enjoy a great sex life, so that's not an issue either.

So no, getting older doesn't bother me. Besides, it is clearly better than the alternative.

4. srslywtf

Not really, but thankfully I don't have to.

I may be 26 technically, but I can still pass for anywhere from 17 to 20.

5. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes and no.

Yes because I care so much less about other people's opinions and diatribes, though I've recently gone through some experiences that have been hurtful, regardless of thick enough skin.

No because I would have done things very differently if I had the confidence I had 5 to 10 years after those rites of passage, and now realize that my frames of reference in my late teens and early 20s are TOTALLY irrelevant at this point, ESPECIALLY when you live nowhere near them.

#5 Tightrope, Jul 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2013
  6. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It bothers me a little, getting older. At 53, there are these irritating little physical things that I have no control over and that, to a certain extent, constrain my dignity.

On the other hand, mentally, I have never been sharper, there's this fluidity and ease that I have with associating diverse things and putting them together in new ways that I never had before.

So...I take the good with the less good and live my life accordingly.

7. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    yup.
    I can't stop it and worrying about it isn't going to do anything

8. gavguy

gavguy Guest

I would lie if I said that it didn't bother me as I am 44 and never had a relationship.
    Your beard looks fine and some people find that facial hair is a turn on, you may look younger without it but if you feel comfortable with it then stay as you are.
    As the days pass and I get older then I feel that my chances of meeting someone get slimmer, and again you will find that some people do prefer older men/woman because they are more mature.

9. AKTodd

The beard looks great :thumbsup: both on general principles and because in growing it you've basically added a new tool to your sexual...toolkit. Properly used, a nice beard can feel totally awesome when applied to certain sensitive areas. Although care should be taken by all parties not to overdo (either in the application or the requesting (ok, begging) that it be applied). Beard burn in those same sensitive areas is no fun (ouch!!).

On more general principles, I just turned 44 and I'm in better shape (and about 25 lbs lighter) than I was in my 30s. My sex drive is maybe a little bit reduced, although part of that may just be sleep related. Regardless, things with my partner are still quite passionate and feel great. As I've gotten older, I've started getting hairier, but since I always wanted a hairy chest growing up and was a little disappointed i never got all that much (I tend to equate hairiness with manliness, yes I know it's not really rational), I'm actually really enjoying it.

The other day, I noticed that I'm now getting a fine growth of hair on my shoulders and upper back. While part of me was like 'Huh, back hair, getting older', a much larger part was 'HA! MANFUR!! I WANNA GO OUT AND KILL A MAMMOTH OR SOMETHING!!' (Why yes, doctor I suppose it's possible I have something of a fetish where men's body hair is concerned, why do you ask? :grin: )

I sometimes wonder what it would be like to be in my late teens or early 20s with the level of experience I have now, as well as the 'full forward momentum, show no mercy, take neither bullshit nor prisoners' attitude I've started developing in recent years, but I suppose I needed to live thru those years to get that mindset in the first place.

Overall, the whole getting older thing is working well for me.

Todd:slight_smile:

10. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,

My gray hair bothers me but that started at age 25 so it has had 30 years to piss me off. The injury to my right knee at age 29 squawks a bit more too. But I don't have a cabinet full of prescriptions which many do.

I TRY ~try~ to stick to lowly processed, whole foods high fiber diet but it is tough in this economy and its availability away from home.

Biggest issue is keeping a handle on weight.

11. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Getting older may have bad moments. But getting older beats the alternative of not living long enough to get older...

12. SPIDER24

Out Status:
    Some people
    Once you've reached the age where anyone who would be attracted to you, is either mentally ill or a serial killer, then you know that you've gotten old.

13. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Truth be told, I'm not bothered that much by getting older. I guess I have moments. But I've never been into sports, so a decline in physical ability is not as bad as it is for some highly athletic types. (One classmate of mine, for example, did well as a runner, but no longer can run due aging and various leg issues. He seems to be OK with that now, but it must have been a loss.)

I also don't care much about staying young looking.

14. derrik

Good discussion Turned 65 a few months ago - recovering from knee replacement

Getting older is OK - it not like we have a choice in the matter

15. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Beats the alternative.

When I would bitch about my hair going gray at 25 my dad would say "Beats flesh tone." Yeah, real funny guy.

No offence to those losing their hair.

I kinda admire the balding guys who just shave it all off. They take charge.

16. gavguy

gavguy Guest

:roflmao: You read my mind !

17. bdman

I'm bothered by getting older a lot. Being single and lonely seems to exacerbate these feelings. I look back at pictures when I was in my 20's and see that I looked better, was more physically active, had my life ahead of me. I'd give anything to go back in time and maybe change the course of my future.

18. biggayguy

It bothers me that I spent so much time in denial. There were some real hot guys I could have dated. I may try some Just For Men on the beard. Women do hair dye all the time.

19. bdman

I spent too much time in denial as well. But it wouldn't help to go back to the 90's for me because of the environment I lived in. I need to be in my 20's in 2013!

Men dye their hair too. I would have no problems doing it. In fact I don't know why most don't especially if their single. It's vain but if it make you feel better I think it's a good idea. Personally, I think facial hair ages just about every guy over 35. Not just because of the greying, but it's coming out of a face that starting to sag. But some guys really like facial hair, so everyone is different.

20. sagebrush

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As with many things, getting older has its up moments and down moments. I try to keep my outlook positive, but some days the march of time is burdensome. The times I feel lonely are the times I most notice the insistent "tick-tick-tick" of the clock. Having said that, I'm grateful for the maturity I've gained, my continued good health, and my (slowly) increasing ability to worry less about what others think...