1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are you able to talk about these stuff also with people IRL?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by TeaTree, Oct 18, 2015.

1. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Aside from my BFF's, for the most part not at all.

My family knows, but most of them will avoid talking about it and pretend I'm straight or whatever. It's been what, three or four years and they're still in denial? Huh.
    Mainly because they're religious, and also want me to have kids, but I'm never having kids. It's kind of my choice, I'd rather be free and independent.

Once I get out of this over-conservative area then hopefully I can actually bring it up.

2. TeaTree

Yeah, sorry, I wasn't very clear on this, I'm not really isolating myself anymore either (I did the same as you mentioned, when I wasn't ready to accept myself I isolated myself especially from being around women), but in this case I was more referring to when I am alone and it happens that I'm not going anywhere around people for the whole weekend for example. I try not to do this very often, and I think the problem isn't necessarily when I'm alone at home, it's more like when my boyfriend is around as well.
    Anyway, I know what I have to do about this (more or less, I mean the bf part).

My social skills are getting better to, I learned as well that this only works with practice and it does improve if exposing myself more and more. Which I enjoy doing, only not necessarily exposing my gay side :slight_smile: Yet.

When around people I feel safe I look like the most confident person in the world - apparently a lot of people think that I'm very confident, and I'm getting there, building it slowly. Coming out to myself gave me this whole new perspective of self-confidence, but it's still new and fragile, so to speak :slight_smile:

3. Distant Echo

Hey I just flirted with one of the checkout ladies at self serve in the supermarket lol. -just to see if I could - she's quite attractive
    I wouldn't have done that a month ago

4. TeaTree

Cool :slight_smile:
    I found myself flirting lately a lot with women, and I'm realizing it comes kinda natural to me :slight_smile: But then I realize what I'm doing and I get shy and scared that she will notice. I have this fear that straight girls will get mad if they'll realize I'm flirting with them...

5. SnowshoeGeek

I have one good female friend here that I have told everything to - she also has lived in California so nothing fazes her. :grin:

My hairdresser is the first IRL female I've told since moving to Iowa, and that was a very happy conversation that started the whole ball rolling for me six weeks ago... I'm excited to be going for a haircut/color today and considering something a little more boyish. :slight_smile:

Being here on this site has really helped me, though. Hearing other people struggling with accepting themselves, even online, does something for me that talking to people who aren't struggling doesn't. There are lots of empathetic people out there, but nothing seems to validate my feelings like someone else who is feeling them. :grin:

6. Awesome

In college in Massachusetts, from Pennsylvania
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I sometimes talk about LGBT+ stuff with my best friend who's trans. I am still not completely comfortable talking about it.

7. Distant Echo

I went from shoulder length to short except for my fringe. Very freeing. Like i was hiding behind that hair and it's gone, so I don't have to hide anymore

I wouldn't say it's a boyish cut but...i don't know. The hairdresser was surprised at the cut I went with :grin:

8. CameOutSwinging

I can talk to pretty much all of my friends about this and do. They're all really understanding, even if they don't get my decisions per se.

Can't really talk to family.

I think talking to my therapist is my favorite thing, because it's somebody who doesn't know me and we can talk about some really tough things without me feeling at all like I have to mold the answers to not sound a certain way.

9. IrishJ

I have a great therapist that I can be open with and I just came out to an old friend on-line (1st person). I wish that I had a current friend that I could open up to without fear of my wife finding out prior to my telling her. I am stuck, I want to come out so badly but know that my wife will castrate me emotionally.

10. Distant Echo

*sigh* just mentioned that I was planning to stay in a motel overnight when I go to a LGBT event at the end of the month. Suddenly he has to go with me. Not that he can because he has cricket but even this is going to be a battle. Yeah. How do i talk about the rest of this if he feels threatened by a marriage equality rally? :cry:
    This is my best chance to find a support group, or at least people to talk to, and he wants to be there listening....

11. TeaTree

Could you tell him maybe that you would like to go alone? I think this depends also on what your future plans are regarding him.
    Since I came out to my bf I'm going pretty much everywhere alone and usually not telling him, only when I know I will get home very late. We are roommates basically, but we are "officially" still in the relationship.

But even if you plan staying with him on long term, or you are not sure yet, spending time alone while in any relationship should be considered everyone's right. The opposite of this is what I've done with my bf, we became like siamese twins at one point and I started to have the feeling that I cannot even think freely, we are so connected. At one point it felt safe and cozy, but wasn't healthy on long term...

12. Zen fix

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My wife and therapist are the only people I'm out with. Being able to talk about this stuff, even with the therapist has been slow, awkward and resulted in me having some very red faces and feeling like my head was going to pop off my neck a few times. :icon_redf The therapist says I physically appear much more comfortable than when I first came out so maybe someday I'll be able to have a nice conversation with someone about some of this stuff.

13. Distant Echo

Oh he knows I want to go alone. It's the idea of me staying somewhere overnight that is the problem. I had even mentioned that idea to him before. But he is getting clingy now. He knows our relationship is in trouble, and I know he will hold on for dear life.

14. yeehaw

I think therapists are an excellent and safe way to start talking out loud about things that are too hard to talk about with friends and family. There havw been several issues in my life that first came out in therapy and then later I was able to talk to friends and family about--it has served as a nice bridge for me.

15. Logan40

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Up until recently, I've only spoken freely with my therapist and have had a few halting conversations with family, but we don't really talk about it. However, the other day I ended up having a conversation with a male friend of mine who is also in an exploring stage and it was the first frank explicit conversation I've ever had about all this stuff, and it was very freeing. Funny, you'd think as a woman who is sorting out her attraction to other woman I wouldn't go and spill my guts to a guy over drinks in what probably looked like a date to anyone who saw us, but nothing about this journey has been predictable.

16. Charon

Charon Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Just my fag hags.

17. CapColors

Alas the straight girls never fucking notice! :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

18. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i have a counselor i meet with pretty regularly. and there is the support group with Pflag that meets once a month. other than that there isn't really much except EC.

19. bi2me

I can talk with my bff, my husband fairly openly, another high school friend whom I found out recently is bigender, and his wife who is bisexual but has no desire for anything but her marriage (and sometimes gets judgy about that part of the convo). She is actually the one who was like, "of course I knew you were bi, you always flirt with the girls (from our high school group)" when I was "coming out" to her. Ha!

20. confused04

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    My close friends know that I am a little confused on my sexuality, but no one knows the depth of feelings I had/have for a friend in college; a relationship I botched.

My therapist does know about all of this, and is also the only person who really sees the "dark" side of me. Other than that, no one does and it can be lonely at times.