1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are there really so many gender identities?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Budweiser, Jul 14, 2014.

1. wanderinggirl

"Narcissistic-like traits" were your original words, not mine. To some extent I agree; individualism is a double edged sword that can be helpful for people who didn't fit the norm growing up; but it can also trap them inside this loop of putting words to their exact experience and thinking on it obsessively, trying to fit in somewhere else. In that case I can understand why this is interpreted as narcissism, because every experience that is outside the mainstream of a movement or label can become that person's "project".

Getting trapped in your own individual experience and not connecting to the outside world resembles narcissism, but it comes from this feeling of isolation that everyone is trying to avoid rather than the feeling of being "in love with oneself". It's emerging from trying to shake off the feeling of being broken or irreparably different, rather than thinking that one is the best and most important thing in the world.

We are brought up being told that we're special, it's true; but this is as a result of society no longer idealizing conformity like it used to. There are so many jobs and roles out there that conformity is no longer necessary for survival, and women are no longer dependent on men, and emerging from this is a trend of individualizing your skills and experience. I don't think that's narcissism as much as just society changing and not knowing what to do with it.

Anyways I think it's great that kids who don't fit in are no longer considered "broken". It's important to keep gender in perspective and not make your whole identity about your gender (and maybe this is the "narcissism" these psychologists are referring to); but we can't fault anyone for seeking their own experience.

---------- Post added 15th Jul 2014 at 10:49 AM ----------

Also just as the "kinsey scale" was originally intended just as a demonstrative tool to show that there is a middle ground between gay and straight (and that bisexuality doesn't have to be 50/50), all these gender scales will eventually hopefully serve to show that it is a continuum and that it's ok not to be at the extreme ends of the scale, rather than as a source of stress for a person to place themselves exactly on all the axes.

2. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    People do what people want. Just please don't shove it down people's throats if they don't understand.

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sorry, that sentence was addressing Mogget's concern, which is why I quoted him.

Not according to the psychologists and researchers looking at the problem. It's a byproduct of an ill-advised mindset about child-rearing that is (thankfully) falling out of vogue. There have been many such ill-advised views on parenting over the past 75 or 100 years and, sadly, it takes a generation of people suffering from the byproducts of those mistakes to identify and correct the problems. This is one such case, at least according to those who study such things.

On the contrary, I think (at least in corporate america), that we've moved quite a bit toward conformity and consistency, not the reverse. 30 years ago, individuals were hired with detailed interviews and skill evaluations for their ability to think and make decisions and evaluate situations. Jobs like telephone customer service for the phone companies required highly intelligent and capable people who had to use their brains because everything was done manaully, and each rep had to have a lot of knowledge and the ability to synthesize it to make decisions.

Today, all of that is done by computers (to the point of feeding standard responses to common questions, which the reps then parrot).

Likewise, in the retail sector, managers decided whom to hire and promote, and what roles to give them, based on their intuition and observation of workers' skill sets, talents, and personality. Today, most of this is done with computer-based testing, and the result is the hiring of the workers who are the most drone-like, since they'll cause the least problems. Even store managers and district managers are largely figureheads that carry out policy rather than making smart decisions, at least in comparison to what those roles looked like 30 years ago.

And this is true in many other sectors (insurance, sales, manufacturing, etc.) as well.

So I'd submit (and the research seems to support this) that it's actually the opposite, that the desire for uniqueness and specialness is not because society recognizes differences, but because it does not recognize them. And at the same time, we have a generation of people raised to believe they are special when they are really not. So people are findiing their "specialness" wherever they can since it is not celebrated or appreciated very much in much of corporate america.

I agree with this to some extent, but disagree strongly in others. 30 years ago, a kid that acted up in class was recognized to likely be bored (meaning, usually, unusually intelligent) or having family problems at home, or something else going on. Teachers spent time with those kids and helped them to find their place.

Often today, instead of recognizing and celebrating individuality in the classroom, those kids are labeled hyperactive and stuffed full of Ritalin. A 2013 NY Times article, quoting the Centers for Disease Control, says that 11% of children are medicated for ADHD. When you consider that an overwhelming number of ADHD diagnoses are for boys, who comprise about 50% of the school-age population, it means that something close to 20% of boys in school are (mis)diagnosed with ADHD and medicated to get them to conform and STFU.

We certainly can't fault them, but given what I've said above, we can also look at the likelihood that there may be other factors at work here that are contributing to the desire to not "fit in a box."

Agreed.

4. Hexagon

Yes, there are. Just leave it at that.

5. For anyone interested in the proliferation of gender and sexual identities, I would strongly recommend Queer Theory. I took a fantastic class on this last semester at school, but all of the stuff we read and watched are pretty widely available and known materials. And if anyone is interested in what we read, I can suggest a few things from my class if you message me.

I learned a lot about how gender concepts came to be, how they've been disrupted by things, how they mix with race, class, sexual orientation, etc.

But for my professor, who is brilliant and has been teaching this stuff since before it was cool, the point is that gender identity itself needs to be disrupted because it is bogus and oppressive. The goal would be that gender would cease to be a thing and everyone could just be however they are without any kind of gendered connotation. I think that's fantastic, to be honest. The problem is always how to get from here to there (she didn't think it was to create more boxes and more identity categories, but to expose that those boxes don't hold up under scrutiny--none do. there is not any scientific basis to them, nor are they all that necessary) and what that would mean for identity categories of other kinds.

Edit: That's not to say that I would go around personally invalidating people's identities and neither would my professor, but that society as a whole would be better off without identity categories.

6. Mogget

I'm with dreamwatch. I'm fairly sure gender isn't really a Thing, and that the proliferation of gender identities is mainly an attempt to understand the breakdown of the gender binary as it falls into oblivion.

7. wanderinggirl

Fair point about conformity in the workplace. I guess it depends, living in NYC I see a lot of people carving out niches for themselves but I recognize that's not the norm in other parts of the country.

---

As for Ritalin, that's a whole other issue, I actually think that medicating kids is still a result of the outdated thinking that pathologizes them rather than trying to cater to their individual needs-- the opposite of individualization. Some people really do have ADHD; but other people hear about ADHD and think of it as an easy way to get out of certain things, get treated differently, obtain medication when it's not needed.

I do see a lot of people habitually pathologizing all their issues. Instead of "everyone's different, and many people have this characteristic that I have and it's perfectly normal and therefore my problems are solvable" they explain their personality in clinical terms and victimize themselves and feel helpless. And the self-victimization, identifying with an oppressed minority, can be addicting in some way. Maybe applying clinical terminology to every problem a person has has gone too far.

As far as gender identity, I don't know how much of it is a result of over-applying clinical terms to one's individual experience. But many people legitimately experience gender in different ways; I don't think I'm qualified to discredit someone's experience as being agender or genderfluid or anything else.

8. birdking

^ YEP there you go

I don't understand a LOT of nonbinary gender identities. And there are LOTS of them. My understanding of gender is limited to male, female, neutral, or none of the above. When people throw a bunch of "demi"s and stuff into the mix I get confused.

Does that mean these gender identities aren't real? No, I just don't really get it.

But I don't question the legitimacy of these gender identities, because these labels make people more comfortable with themselves. Who am I to question that?

If it makes you feel better about yourself in the long run I have no problem calling you by unique pronouns or labels. It's not my place to question others' gender identities when I spent so long questioning my own.

9. WillowRose

^^This^^

10. stormborn

i share a similar viewpoint to what thedreamwatch said; i think we should be tearing down the existing genders, not building more walls.
    but at the same time, with more and more gender identities emerging, and with the increasing awareness of non-binary genders, it is kind of destroying the two-box world we have. if each gender identity is a pixel on a 70" tv, we don't take notice of any of the pixels, really. we acknowledge that tgere are pixels that make up what we see, but who gives a damn about one of a million (and increasing) pixels.
    [did that make any sense at all? i have no idea, i'm tired :lol:]

11. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

Intersex isn't a gender though...

But yes, I understand what you're saying. Gender can be confusing, it isn't always binary, and even I don't know what the hell I am half the time.

12. wanderinggirl

You're right, my b.

13. GrumpyOldLady

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I wonder if the proliferation of identities has to do with the search for sexual partners ... it's easier for people to find each other if they know what the other wants, as long as everyone agrees on what the labels mean. Especially with the internet and internet dating, it's become easier to find people who fit exactly what you're looking for, because you can cast a wider net.

I'm not sure gender identity has much to do with what the culture defines as "masculine" or "feminine" ... people try to fit in with whomever they identify with. So if I take away the cultural definitions:

There are boys that only want to play with boys, and a few girls who strongly identify with boys, and they're going to be into whatever the other boys are into ("masculine"). There are girls who only want to play with girls, and a few boys who strongly identify as girls, and they do what the other girls are doing ("feminine"). On a continuum, there will be children in the middle, who may prefer to identify with people like themselves ("middles"), or with feminine, masculine, and middles or a combination thereof, or with no one. Wherever a culture draws the line (or if a line is drawn at all) is fairly arbitrary.

As for sexual/romantic orientation, you can be attracted to people more like yourself (whether that is masculine, feminine, or middle), or to people who are different than yourself, or you can be into both people like and unlike oneself, or into no one at all. Does that make any sense? Whatever labels you use, everyone wants to find a partner that meets their definition.

14. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I might get crap for saying this, especially since I identify as a non-binary gender, but a lot of them seem to be essentially the same thing as another, or so close that it almost seems like they're basically over semantics. There's a lot of overlap, that's for sure, and even I think a couple could apply to me - one of the reason I choose to simply call myself genderqueer.

Chip, you have a bit of a history of discrediting any sexuality that isn't 100% gay or straight, basically, and I hope you're not one of those gay men who believes transgenders are simply gay people afraid to come out and live as such. Because that's one of the most absurd arguments ever put forth, as if murders, suicides, and being denied basic human rights serve as incentives to transition.

It does seem a never-ending battle between a very human need to categorize the world around us and to want to belong somewhere, but at the same time, labels can become limiting, and especially when other groups begin questioning and policing others who don't conform to their ideals.

I don't "feel" male or female, and it's not just about roles or stereotypes for me. It's more like a visceral desire, or feeling wrong when expected to fit into roles and boxes. Far from special snowflake syndrome, it's more of a frustration with our culture's limited understanding of gender, and the rigid lines that separate us. I feel if I had been born in another place and time, there would have been far less tension with society.

15. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Completely agree with this, and that's sort of the point: If these identities really do exist, they should stand up to debate, discussion, research, and study of them. But as soon as one starts to do that, people get butthurt and claim that someone's erasing their identity. I get that the unrecognized labels may be helpful to some people, and I have no problem with that. Where the problem lies, for me, is when we talk about these as though they're recognized and rooted in some sort of research, study, or some other form of validation... but the nnly thing most of them are rooted in is a consensus reality of a very small group of people that have decided they exist. And that isn't good science. I find it particularly amusing that some of the people who are most vocal and vehement in their opposition to holistic healing methods, decrying the limited scientific data on them, are the quickest to defend gender identities that have no scientific data whatsoever.

Hmmm. If we're talking about completely bogus identities like "lithromantic" then yes. But anything that isn't 100% gay or straight? If you've read my postings, you know that one of my most commonly repeated phrases is that sexual identity isn't binary or even trinary, that it is a spectrum, and that the labels people choose are labels of convenience on that spectrum (in other words, many Kinsey 4s will say "I'm gay", just as many Kinsey 2s will say "I'm straight." So I don't think your characterization is an accurate one.

Wow. I don't know where you got that, but I've never said anything remotely close to that, nor do I believe it. I do believe that when one is contemplating a permanent, irreversible change to him or herself that is as basic and invasive as transitioning one's physical characteristics of gender... that one ought to be damn sure of the decision one is making, which, to me, includes extensive therapy to ensure that there isn't a different underlying issue (which does happen, and increasingly, we're seeing incidences of people de-transitioning, indicating a failure in the vetting process.)

For that reason, I think the increasing prevalence of the so-called "informed consent" clinics is incredibly irresponsible, and a lawsuit magnet waiting to happen. But with that caveat, I absolutely understand and acknowledge that there are certainly people whose gender dysphoria makes their lives unbearable.

16. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree with this. This is what I was trying to go for in my post, but I could not really come up with the right words for it.

For informed consent, there are screening methods in place. It's not like you just go in and get hormones and go. Many places have therapists on-site that you can see and talk about the changes that you will go through and so on. In my case, I had a letter from my therapist sent to the clinic, so I was given the script for T after my first appointment. Even with extensive therapy, there is no guarantee that somebody will not de-transition later.

The problem with the current system is that many therapist will "hold out" on letters until RLE (real life experience) has been completed. There are many people that are in areas that this is not possible, so these people become caught in the system. There are also people that are in areas where there are no gender therapists. To be honest, I think that the informed consent route picks up on many of the failures of the other route. As sad as it is, there are a lot of therapists out there that have unrealistic demands for their clients to get their letters to start on hormones. That, or they are really expensive and people cannot afford them. I was lucky to have a gender therapist on my school campus, but most schools do not have that.

So, the problem is that the other route is broken, and results in a ton of dead ends. In a perfect world, what you are describing would work. Right now, the informed consent route is one of the best options for transgender people.

17. Budweiser

Here's a thought I had:

There is female, male, and we're going to say gender 3, gender 4, and so on (because I don't know the names). Obviously people want to go from male to female and female to male. But can they want to go from male to gender 4? Or female to gender 3? What sort of hormone treatments would you begin with that? Or are the other genders not dependent on physiology AT ALL?

I guess that's my question. And is a gender REALLY a gender with no physiology involved. The physical part seems very important to those who are transgender which kind of tells me that it can't just all be in your head. Thoughts?

18. WillowRose

Exactly: the informed consent model provides an alternative to a model that -- for many people and in many places -- is horribly broken. (Of course, it's also often not available in exactly the same places where the gatekeeper model is broken the worst.)

Notably, "informed consent" does not equate to "anything you think you want, no questions asked." It requires healthcare providers to satisfy themselves that the recipient of their care is capable of giving consent and is adequately well-informed, both about the risks and effects of the treatment requested and about the reasons for seeking the treatment in the first place.

As someone who is currently ass-deep in the swamp of trying to begin a course of treatment, maybe I'm biased and unobjective, but I have to say that the rank paternalism of the "we know better than you, so please jump through seven more hoops to prove that you're truly worthy and not just going through a phase" model is pretty bloody infuriating -- and pretty damn broken.

19. KyleCats

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, I know my answer isn't popular but no, it isn't in ones head. Gender isn't made up and nonexistent outside of society. Gender when used for things, sure. Toys, clothes, colors - placing a gender on them is arbitrary. Biological creatures however? You kinda need hormones for that.

Sexual dimorphism occurs in many plants, animals and insects. Humans included. Secondary sex characteristics are usually driven by hormones. Some evolve through social pressure and thus selective breeding but the differences are there to begin with. Male deer didn't sprout antlers because females thought it would make them look better - the males always had antlers, they just got bigger and more ornate because that's what the females preferred. Usually because it showed that the males with the biggest antlers were survivors and healthy.

Figures I can't find the article now, but there is evidence that supports some forms of gender dysphoria happen because the brain is given heavy doses of one hormone over the other, but the body doesn't follow. A lot of people would probably take offense to suggesting that being transgender is a birth defect... but I mean technically, so is being a twin. I think birth defect is better than mental disorder -shrug-

Where was I going with this? In regards to other genders, I don't know. I don't want to invalidate anyone or police peoples feelings. I do think the brain is capable of being male, female, both or neither. When you get into others it starts to become more complicated than it needs to be, imo.

I agree too with elover and also to some things Chip has said.

20. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not sure what the right answer is here, but I know that in (most) other situations where serious and potentially irreversible decisions are being made, the medical profession does have procedures in place to ensure that the decision is being made on the merits and the person is fully self-aware. This is an extreme example, but we don't permit people to kill themselves, and even the places that support assisted suicide or euthanasia generally have a procedure that requires mental health evaluations by different professionals, at different times, over a period of time.

In the better healthcare systems that aren't profit driven, before someone can get gastric bypass surgery, a course of psychotherapy or at least a detailed psychological
    consult is required to explore whether the eating patterns are a byproduct of an underlying unhealthy behavior.

And access to prescription drugs that are potentially harmful are also controlled by "gatekeeper" physicians who must prescribe them.

So it makes sense, at least to me, that our society does have a process of ensuring that people are making good decisions when the consequences of those decisions are serious.

I agree the system isn't perfect, and what's there now isn't working very well. I'm just not convinced that opening it up further is the correct solution.