1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are there countries you DON'T want to visit?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by lemons123, Mar 24, 2015.

1. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Any where wars are currently taking place.

Any where IS has a significant presence (I mean come on, I'm not risking beheading if I can help it).

North Korea (unless I could visit without any possibility of the government finding out).

That's pretty much it.

Depends on whether the dictatorship or the republic is the uniting factor. :lol:

2. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    Gen, I obviously misunderstood your first post, since I thought you were denouncing everyone who was shunning countries based on reasons like violence and unjust laws. I know the difference between a country, continent, and region--geography happens to be one of my strongsuits. You were the main one being condescending here though. I used to live in Africa too, so seeing so many people dismiss the entire continent as one violence-infested disease-bag was disheartening.

#82 TENNYSON, Mar 26, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  3. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    lemons123 fun question thanks for posting.

I'll go to any country for I've learned that people everywhere are hospitable. I've always learned and had fun experiences by interacting with people in other countries.

Governments of countries by their nature can suck, some more than others, so it's the government of said country that dictates how long I'll stay.

4. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Since I'll take my boyfriend with me, I don't intend to go to countries where homosexuality is punishable (and enforced). I'd also try to avoid places / areas where homosexuality is viewed (very) negatively.

Moreover, I wouldn't want to go to countries / places where being atheist is punishable (that would mean that both my boyfriend and me are at risk in such a country/place).

So I guess that's quite some countries.. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5. Boudicca

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'd go anywhere, given the opportunity. Yes, that includes North Korea. ANYWHERE. I love traveling and seeing the world.

---------- Post added 27th Mar 2015 at 07:58 AM ----------

Thank you.

6. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    North Korea: Not like they'd LET me visit anyway, but dictators are a no-no.

Most countries in Africa: Not only is it incredibly hot, but everything is out to kill you (a bit like in Australia) and I find that a lot of places are hostile. Though, I might visit Morocco or Egypt sometime, but not long (how the heck do people survive 50 degrees? That's insane!)

Nauru: Nope, keep your radioactivity, I'm not setting foot there!

The other countries I might not visit, but I wouldn't say I'd be opposed to.

7. newfish

Yep on the rich middle eastern countries. Also much of the Middle East in general just because of the violence going on there right now (I would visit Jordan or Turkey, although southern Turkey and Jordan also have escalating violence right now). Same with some areas of Africa right now, also.
    India, though, I really would like to visit. Egypt is one of those where I would visit if it were free.
    Any country with a really high crime rate.

---------- Post added 26th Mar 2015 at 09:06 PM ----------

I'm a little confused what you meant by the sentence in bold. Only 1% of people in Tel Aviv are muslim - do you mean that 25% of that population is associated with radical Islam?

#87 newfish, Mar 26, 2015
  8. pinkpanther

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The Balkan States are hugely diverse countries, some of them are very conservative and backward, but some are great. Maybe not for living, but as touristic summer designations Croatia, Slovenia, and Greece beat everything in Europe. I'm just saying this from experience.

#88 pinkpanther, Mar 26, 2015
  9. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hm, why not? North Korea is actually not that difficult to get into. :icon_bigg So I'm not sure who "they" is, but tourists can access North Korea without many problems.

The real difficulty in trying to get into countries are e.g. Nauru and Turkmenistan.

10. DIANGELO

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Indonesia! like id rather die than go there i have a lot of internet friends there and they said lots of people there are homophobic.

Edit: also the fact that this site is blocked on their country. Its just. Meh

11. ajwad

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm from Saudi Arabia, and sadly i say, there are many Muslim extremists around here, so for LGBT people, it's ok to come here, but if you will show some of your LGBT acts, you better not come.

12. MCairo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Sub-Saharan Africa, except South Africa.
    India
    Bangladesh
    Pakistan
    Afghanistan
    Iraq
    Syria (for now)
    Actually, every place in the Islamic State reach.

13. chrisyboy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think your the only person to say this. I agree. Must be the Scots in us.

There is nowhere on this earth I wouldn't want to visit. Why not? OK certain places are far from the first on my bucket list but really, there isn't anywhere. Its such a wide world and things do change over time...why miss out on it

Most Interested to see India on the lists of a few? Its a definite place to visit for me. The best place to visit is North Korea. The home of nonsense propaganda. Even the tour guides genuinely appear to not to know the truth about the regimes history. Would spend any visit laughing my head off. Particularly at the huge pictures of Kimmy everywhere...and in every house (complete with government supplied polishing cloth!!!) Just hilarious. And they actually employ people to read everything on the internet about the country, soo...

I take a different - unpopular I suspect view. The fact is that in the Middle East generally and in chunks of Africa and places like Jamaica, if your opting NOT visiting for LGBT reasons - your going to be long disappointed. Whether right or wrong (well, obviously wrong), for religious or other reasons (lack of education, etc), the people of these countries don't want LGBT equality. Take Saudi Arabia probably the most awful places I can think of without an ISIS inflection (the days of the oil countries will come, don't worry). The public don't want to see same sex marriage and same sex relationships/sexual acts legalised. And so why would a government such as it is there, bother? They wouldn't. Obviously that's hideous for us lot in the West, but them the rules. Don't take your boyfriend or girlfriend to these places if its a problem. Or buy two hotel rooms. Its much worse in Saudi Arabia to be an man accompanying a woman who is not his wife than two men together and they are actually as country more tactile than many of us in the West (well, so I hear). Still, it's not like you'd get into the country anyway, not unless your invited or have a good business reason because tourism is pretty much banned.

#93 chrisyboy, Mar 27, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  14. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Every single country on the planet except for the following:

Iceland, Denmark, Germany, Sweden, Norway, Finland, Canada, South Korea.

15. chrisyboy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Interesting you bring up Dubai. God it's an awful place. Huge, nasty tasteless monstrosities built on oil money as usual, half of which is owned by the ruler through his investment companies...as are many hotels, Jumeirah Hotels for example (who own the 7* hotel)

But the money will dry up and they have at least been clever enough to built the infrastructure and encourage tourism to keep the country a float post oil. Abu Dhabi's at it too.

I'd take Vegas any day.

---------- Post added 27th Mar 2015 at 04:18 PM ----------

Really? All the cold places then...