1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are LGBT people too strict about terminology sometimes?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by TENNYSON, Apr 1, 2015.

1. thesharkamander

One thing I see is people saying that bisexuals are attracted only to men and women, while the bisexual community generally considers the definitions of bisexual to be "attraction to two or more genders." Of course, someone who is bisexual might only be attracted to men and women, but it's erasive to say that's the truth for all of us.

2. candyjiru

I remember the first time someone told me they were pan, and I was like... so... you like everyone? And she said, "I like men, women, trans, intersex~ but not animals or something like that." XD;;; I think she had had to explain herself a lot, lol.

I have no problem explaining things to people if they ask, or if they are talking about something and are clearly confused... but I try not to be rude about it... most people just aren't informed so, why not help them out? If they're being rude about it though... that's a different story XD

3. MyLittleWorld

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    People should know what the term means before using it. That's what I think.

4. RainbowVomiter

One situation I'm not sure how to respond is when someone who's part of that group gives a definition to others that I know people in that group generally aren't a fan of. Like if a bisexual person explains to some folks that bisexuality is the attraction to men and women only. It's not my place to decide the definition and tell a bisexual person they're wrong. but it's also not my place to invalidate a bisexual person's identity, or pretend it's alright when other non-bisexual people are invalidating their bisexuality because they don't fit the men+women model.

My idea was saying, "I also know many bisexual people who define it as attraction to more than one gender," And if the bisexual person insists that is the wrong definition, I'll just explain I'm not intested in invalidating identities.

I'm not entirely sure what to do in a situation like that?

---------- Post added 5th Apr 2015 at 10:50 AM ----------

People will insist, "Don't get involved in intra-community issues," but I think there's a point where you have to make decisions about a group you're not in? Without silencing those who disagree...it's hard.

Such as butch/femme, I don't have a problem with bisexual women who identify as such. But I know there are bisexual women who will teach other bisexual women that they are identities for lesbians only.

---------- Post added 5th Apr 2015 at 10:58 AM ----------

Or when it comes to gender dysphoria, there are trans people who will tell me I should treat non-dysohoric non-cis people as cis, and non-cis people who tell me I should stick up for non-dysphoric non-cis people. I do want to be supportive of non-dysphoric non-cis people, but that means some trans people will be angry with me.

5. Weregild

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    There's a reason why terminology exists. It's different from stereotypes and it helps people explain and cathegorize their knowledge (in the present context, about themselves). And there's also a political side to it. So I see why people can be "picky" or want to show to others how much they are familiar with terms and concepts related to the LGBT community. But since this knowledge must be shared with everyone maybe a more patient approach would be more effective.