1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

anyone planning to vote in the federal election (canadian)?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by alan t, Apr 5, 2011.

1. InaRut

Pirate Party Ftw!

2. BlueDuck

I read most of this thread, to try to get an idea of Canadian politics.

I'll stay in America, thank you very much. :lol:

3. Eric

This almost made me spit up my drink, I laughed so hard. xDDD

4. Fintan

This is a federal election for the entire country of Canada. We have provincial elections (state elections) and federal elections, roughly every 4 years (but not at the same time). Basically, we are electing our Members of Parliament (Representatives) for the Canadian House of Commons in Ottawa (House of Representatives).

And like your House of Representatives, the Leader of the Party who wins the most seats becomes our Prime Minister (Head of Government), similar to your Speaker of the House.

However, what is perhaps most interesting is Canada has 4 major parties, instead of just two. The Conservatives, the Liberals, the New Democrats and the Bloc Quebecois (with the Greens possibly emerging as a fifth).

Canada is roughly 2% larger than the United States, with only a tenth of the population.

Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, Queen of Canada, is our head of state and we share her with 15 other countries (UK, Australia, New Zealand, Jamacia etc.)

Hope this helps!

---------- Post added 7th Apr 2011 at 08:00 PM ----------

You can register on election day at your poll if you don't have time before hand. You will, however, need a piece of government photo ID and another piece of ID. Such as a Driver's License or Passport and a Utility Bill or Health Card.

#24 Fintan, Apr 7, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
  5. zeratul

zeratul Guest

Well honkadory isnt that just pleasant.

6. Fintan

That's partially true. The Sections 91 & 92 of the British North America Act (Canadian Constitution, 1867) splits the governing powers of the country between federal and provincial governments. For example, only the Federal government can make rules regarding; the military, citizenship, postal services, coinage, criminal offenses. While only the Provincial governments may make rules regarding; municipalities, property rights, natural resources (on land, mining, forestry etc.), provincial offenses, health care, education.

Now, where this becomes murky, is when the federal government says to the provinces, we will give you extra money, if you change your policy on ________ , or if you implement __________. The provinces have the power to say no, and sometimes they do, but the point is the federal government can't force them to do anything that falls under the jurisdiction of the provinces.

But regarding the Bloc Quebecois, you're absolutely right. They realise seperation isn't an option right now, so they are focusing on getting as much as they can for Quebec -FROM- the rest of Canada, to ensure that they maintain their power in Quebec. It's frankly offensive to other Canadians if you ask me.

7. Bryan90

My sentiments exactly regarding the current mandate of the Bloc.

And as you pointed out, my sentiments are due to the fact that we already have a seperation between Federal and Provincial governance. Having a provincial party at a federal level disrupts and distorts that separation.

---------- Post added 7th Apr 2011 at 05:03 PM ----------

This is actually their FIRST election in canada.. I want to see how many votes they get!!!! :lol:

#27 Bryan90, Apr 7, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
  8. Fintan

Oh, the biggest issues facing this country in my mind are;

1) The economy & economic recovery
    2) Job recovery
    3) The national debt

I think Jim Flaherty is one of the best Finance Minister's Canada has seen in a long time. Paul Martin was arguably as good, but he also led Canada through very prosperous times, which isn't quite as difficult.

I am quite impressed with the Conservative Government's policies and early successes regarding economic recovery through the recession, and the early job creation numbers. However, as we are still running a substantial deficit each year, that my generation will end up paying taxes to service the interest on (and getting nothing for it), I think it is quite important at this time to stay the course. I give credit to the Chretien/Martin Liberals for their banking regulations in the 1990s, which gave us a soft bed to land on when the worldwide recession occured -- however, Michael Ignatieff and the Liberal's election platform of taxing and spending, is not what I think we need right now.

I think higher taxes will slow recovery and I think higher spending will probably increase our annual deficit.

So, I plan on voting to stay the course. We need to get our jobs back, we need to further recover our economy and we need to begin running a surplus again. Harper is on the right track and I think in the next 4 years, he will be able to meet these goals.

So I plan to vote Conservative this time around.

9. Bryan90

Bringing this thread alive again!!!

BQ went from 47 seats to 2 SEATS!! TWO SEATS!! I guess people caught on to our discussion? LOL!!! :wink:

10. MusicIsLife

So at this current point in time (because I'm going to bed soon) a Conservative Majority makes me very sad, but the NDP being the official opposition makes me very happy :slight_smile: /end.

11. Idonteven

I just saw the results, ouchie for BQ!

12. endless poetry

We need a single vote transferrable system.

Also: NDP off. opp... we have much more work to do because just as the gains in Québec were made almost magically, they can too so be lost. Bloquiste vote % hasn't dropped too too drastically. We must always be careful.

I'm liking the NDP surge but not the Conservative majority.

We lost in Ontario, and some way or another we've got to get it back.

13. Foxed

4 years of harper majority.

Those who didn't vote: Damn you.

Those who voted Harper: Damn you to heck.

raggggggggggggeeeeeeeeeeeee

14. StarofMiyu

I wanted the NDP to be majority government..

15. Artemicion

We need a better proportionate representative voting system...

Now who knows what Harper is planning.

16. StarofMiyu

Probably going to try and outlaw same sex rights, this is why I want NDP in power because they support HUMAN rights <_<

17. alan t

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    At least Elizabeth May won the first green seat! Sad that the liberal party collapsed.

18. StarofMiyu

Michael Ignatieff is an idiot..I yomi'd his downfall before elections even came.

19. alan t

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm realizing that I'm living in such a strange bubble world... I don't know a single person who would in a million years ever vote for the Conservatives. But obviously their voters are out there, since they won my riding.
    I saw a map of 2008 results of my riding divided by polling stations, and the centre of the city was all liberal while the outskirts were all conservative. It's like parallel universes right next to each other and I have no idea who all those people are and why they vote for the conservatives.

20. StarofMiyu

I hate the entire conservative platform, I voted NDP in my schools student vote