1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone in medical or healthcare profession

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by oboiaus, Dec 23, 2016.

1. oboiaus

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Hi everyone
    I'm not sure if anyone is in a similar situation.
    I find being in the medical profession. One can be quite well recognized in the community.
    I often feel it's a hinderance to coming out and meeting people.
    I'd like to hear from others who have experienced this type of personal circumstances.

2. robclem21

I am a medical student in Canada and I've found the opposite actually. While there are definitely still barriers in the medical community to coming out and being LGBTQ, for the most part nearly everyone here is incredibly accepting. Currently, our Dean of Medicine is gay and so is a large portion of our class.

3. Sebby45

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    oboiaus,

I would think that having someone who is LGBT in the medical profession would be a blessing. There are patients who would be uncomfortable if they knew, perhaps. But think of the other LGBT patients out there. They would have someone they could talk to comfortably and know that they are being treated with respect.

Just my little thought on the subject,

Sebby45

---------- Post added 23rd Dec 2016 at 12:13 PM ----------

I see you are in Australia. I heard a few years back that things were really rough for the LGBT community. Is it still that way? I can imagine that would make it harder to come out. Just wondering.