1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone else feel like a teenager in their 20's?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Canterpiece, Oct 1, 2023.

1. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I feel like I never really got to be a teenager. Always had to act serious. I think it's about time I let loose. Have some fun. Learn things just for sake of it, not worry about being good. Nor feel bad about a lack of talent. Just allowing myself to exist.

2. caden0803

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes because as a teenager I was more concerned with what my parents expected out of me, and their happiness over them. So instead of taking the time to explore myself as a teenager like I wish I had done. I went to college immediately after high school to get my degree in something. Even though that's not something I actually wanted, but didn't have the courage to tell them. And possibly disappoint them as a result. Then, at the end of my first semester in college. I broke down crying one day and came clean to them. Thankfully, in this aspect I have good parents who understood. So I dropped out of college pretty quick as a first step to prioritizing my own happiness more. While also allowing myself moments to just be me. Learning some new things about myself in the process. Whether it was tied back to figuring out what I want to do with the rest of my life or not. Now in the future when the time for that decision comes again I hope that I'll be able to make one without the negative emotions I experienced back then. Having gained enough life experience and a new free will of my own. A thing I'm still developing at 23.

#2 caden0803, Oct 1, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2023
  3. JT1999

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Sounds like a great idea.

4. Aelin56

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm almost 23 and I definitely feel like a teenager.

I didn't get to go to parties, or go out in general as a teenager, because my social anxiety was very intense. That's why I feel behind in life when it comes to social skills.
    I was also battling OCD and depression and didn't really get to enjoy life.

Now I'm much less socially anxious, my mental health is better, I finally have some friends, I go out more, I've become more spontaneous. I feel like I'm living my teenage years now. Now is the time to be a bit crazy and unapologetically myself. My self-esteem is much higher now than it used to be, I've learned more about life, I've matured, so now life can finally be fun.

5. Jakebusman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sa
    Same with me im 34 but felt I never got to be a teen I know that sounds weird

6. Loves books

I’m 31 and sometimes I feel like a teenager. I spent my teenage years at home with my head buried in a book. My grades were appalling. My brother played four different sports for two teams each and spent his teens at sports games. He had an active social life too and managed straight As. My sister led a very active social life too. I have a physical disability and I’m not the biggest fan of people so my social life consisted of fictional characters. My mother never had to play chauffeur to me as a teen like she did for my siblings. I felt lonely once or twice but I got over it. I could do more now but I’ve learned I can’t enjoy myself out at night without downing several drinks and that’s not a road I want to go down. My life hasn’t changed much since I was a teenager but my stress levels are way down without my siblings.

7. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello All...I spent my 41 year long career as a high school teacher. I "lived" with teenagers and as a band director, we took many trips...a lot of them overnighters. Even though I just turned 73, my mental outlook is still a lot like my teenage students. I feel like mentally I am no more than about 22! My Avatar here on EC really does show how I feel mentally. I think that my mental and emotional age really do help me have a physical age that is much younger than 73....most of the time! :old_big_grin:
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

8. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm forever 18. I dislike getting older and in many things I do feel like a teenager. I was always a good kid, so I never rebelled as a teenager or went out to socialize. I didn't have friends then either, like now. Most of my time was spent either watching gaming videos or reading. I was very much more introverted then. I was completely different from myself now.

9. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I’m 23. Sometimes I feel like I’m more mature than some people in their late 30s, and other times I feel like I’m 15. 23 is weird.

#9 Andrew99, Oct 11, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2023
  10. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I definitely had a feeling like this. I didn’t figure out my sexuality until I was in my mid 20’s and then I felt like the teenager I should have been in my teenage years.

11. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm 33, somewhat recently out, and basically feel like I just started being a teenager lol. What's weird is that I feel like I have absolutely nothing in common with actual teenagers so I'm more like a late 2000s teen who pulled a Rip Van Winkle.

But yes it is a fairly well-known phenomenon among queer people to have a delayed youth, so to speak. The world is still not set up for us and we can only fully be ourselves when we have more independence and confidence.

#11 Argentwing, Nov 3, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2023
  12. skloorrpt

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I can definitely relate. I feel like I never really figured myself out when I was younger because I was just doing what I was told or what was expected of me. Now I'm 25 and I still feel like I don't really know who I am or what I'm doing with my life. I feel like I've fallen behind sometimes and I'm not quite sure how to catch up.

#12 skloorrpt, Nov 4, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2023
  13. TinyWerewolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You know, I had fleeting moments of this when I was dating my ex- but I was only 20 then. I since feel like I lost any chance at reliving my youth and simply missed out. I'm not to old to do some things at a party, but you certainly won't catch me being drunk/intoxicated in public unless someone drugged me. I don't trust strangers in bars

#13 TinyWerewolf, Nov 5, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2023
  14. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For the first couple years that I was living independently and was using drugs/drinking all the time I felt like I was back in college as an 18/19 year old again. Since I’ve gotten into recovery I’ve done a lot of growing up in the last 18 months that it kind of feels like there’s been a jump in the time-space continuum and I’ve gone from college-aged dipshit to current age in record time.

15. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sometimes I feel 40, sometimes I feel 16.

I'd say I'm pretty emotionally mature and have grown from experiences that alots of people my haven't experienced yet or haven't spent the time to grow from.

But being queer and anxious as fuck, I feel like while I was surviving, other people were thriving -and in ways it shows. Going on a date? Feel like I have no idea what I'm doing. Traveling? Feels like I'm sneaking away and should have a parent with me. Etc etc

16. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello All..... Well not exactly like a teen-ager, but mentally about early 20's in spite of the fact that I am 73! :old_smile: That's why I use the avatar that I do...it's comes close to how I feel mentally!
    .....David :gay_pride_flag: