1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anybodies Parents Abuse Drugs

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by The Dude, Apr 24, 2013.

1. The Dude

So my brother called me tonight to tell me that this weekend my mother hit a tipping point with a drug problem and today she admitted herself to a rehab clinic. I called my dad and he's sounds tired but okay. She's had a problem for a very long time with prescription drugs, and apparently the past few days at home was just to much this time (I'm at college 45 mins away). So she's there now, my dad is going to work tomorrow, and life moves on...

I guess I'm worried about my dad, lonely at the house. Obviously I'm worried about my mom, although she's finally getting the help she needs. It's funny, when she finally seeks help is when my apathy towards her problem goes away and so much confusing emotion is evoked inside of me. I don't know if I'm happy she's getting help, worried about my dad, apathetic to the whole situation or simply mad that its happening. At the end of the day I need to focus on the end of the semester, but I'm just sort of lost.

There really isn't a question here, but any advice or anecdotes that might help me move forward? (When depressed I resort to working out; I've never done drugs. I don't want anyone thinking I'm going to resort to something stupid from the stress.) But I could use a little guidance.

Also I typically try to only use EC for sexual orientation stuff, but I don't know who else to turn to. So sorry for that. And I certainly won't be coming out to my parents anytime soon. I think they'll be okay with it but they have enough on their plate.

---------- Post added 24th Apr 2013 at 10:44 PM ----------

Also apologies if this goes in general support...my bad

2. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Have you considered Al-Anon? It's a support group for family members of alcoholics (auxiliary to AA). I don't know if there's a drug addiction equivalent of Al-Anon, but if there isn't, there'd certainly be enough overlap that you might find it helpful.

3. The Dude

Not a bad idea, I'll look into it, thanks!

4. catatonie

Sorry I don't have much advice. My biodad was a junkie for a long time, I haven't heard from him in a while so I don't know the status, but he was in and out of rehabs and programs and all that when I was a kid. It put a lot of stress on my grandparents (his parents), so I can identify with how you're feeling about your dad. Maybe you can call and check up on him more often, I'm sure he'd appreciate that. The fact is there's no cushy way to go about it, it's going to be real stressful.

5. The Dude

Yeah you're right...I called him tonight and am coming home this weekend. I also will be home in a few weeks as the semester ends, but I'm not sure if my mom will be out by then or not.

Sorry about your biodad, sounds like a bad situation. Hopefully my mom comes out a clean person. I'm optimistic anyway