1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any artists here?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Janvier, Jan 22, 2009.

?

What type of artist are you?

1. Musician

22 vote(s)
    25.6%
  2. Dancer

4 vote(s)
    4.7%
  3. Singer

2 vote(s)
    2.3%
  4. Drawer

16 vote(s)
    18.6%
  5. Painter

4 vote(s)
    4.7%
  6. Actor

4 vote(s)
    4.7%
  7. Photographer

6 vote(s)
    7.0%
  8. Filmmaker

1 vote(s)
    1.2%
  9. Sculptor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. VJ (Video DJ)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Writer

13 vote(s)
    15.1%
  12. Decorater

1 vote(s)
    1.2%
  13. Fashion Designer

2 vote(s)
    2.3%
  14. Other (Calligraphy, Origami,...)

5 vote(s)
    5.8%
  15. Not an artist

6 vote(s)
    7.0%
  1. Brandford

I have no talents

2. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

I don't know if I told you this Janvier, but back in high school I founded the film club along with my friend to encourage arts education at my school which is more like the lack there of. It encouraged film making and even in my spare time I make commercials for college channels and such. Though I strictly do it on a for fun level, I'm no pro cinematographer

3. joss22

That is a lie, you just haven't found yours yet (*hug*)

4. musicXowl

i take pictures =]

5. Johnny123

Johnny123 Guest

i act and write. wish i was musical, but ah well!

My ex-girlfriend told me I was a typical writer and would spend the rest of my life secluded from the rest of the world ultimately dying alone and miserable and unappreciated.

But at the time she said that I was in the arms of a guy, pretty much kissing his face off -- so she may have been a bit cross at me.

6. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

I can draw, i want to start making my own music beats when I have the time, and want to do street dancing and do my own clothing :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

7. MusicIsLife

Im a few. Mostly i do creative writing like prose, my poetry is awful. In addition i do some drawing, but im not the greatest, culinary arts, and music.

8. Apocalypte

I have about as much creativity as the average Soviet architect. I have no artistic talent whatsoever. I always wanted to be good at art, but I'm just not. I can't sing, can't dance, can't write well, can't draw, paint or sculpt, and even my web design sucks.

9. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

lol wierd thing is when i don't try in art i got compliments anyway

10. littledinosaurs

I voted Musician cause i play lots of instruments but sometimes i'm a drawer/writer too.

11. pirateninja

Are you an artist?

I like to think of myself as one. I am taking Fine art for A2 level, so that counts in as Painting, Drawing and Sculpting. I also like to write. At the moment I keep churning out fanfiction for practice, however I have my own projects on the side as well that I am taking far longer on; some stories, some scripts and some songs or poems. I like to act; as some of you know, I quite recently played Bill Sikes in my House Competition production of Oliver and we won Best Drama for it. I am also teaching myself guitar; both classical and rock. I'd like to make movies and have had limited experience in this field in the past; I once made a claymation movie with some friends about an egg that sprouted wings and then got eaten by a Wicked Weasel.

Beginner or expert?

I'm an amateur at most of the things; drawing, painting, sculpting, acting and writing. I have done these for most of my life and have been my hobbies, and seeing as I intend to take up Fine Art and Creative Writing as my University course next year, I would imagine that I at least have SOME talent in those areas.
    However movie making and playing music, I am still a beginner with limited experience. However I do enjoy these things, so hopefully I will get better at them.

What genre and what style?

I can draw and paint in many styles. I can take an observational sketch or paint something realistically, or I can splice the shapes and make a cubist piece. If somebody said to me "do a piece in the style of so-and-so", I could probably produce a reasonable attempt. Writing, I like things that get people thinking, something that focuses on emotions without being sappy. I like to write humorous stories that can make people laugh, and the best compliment I can get about my writing is that "It made me cry" or "it moved me". I like being able to capture emotions as realistically as possible.

How long have you been practicing your art?

My drawing/painting/sculpture skills were influenced from a young age by my grandfather, who was an art teacher. I was his favourite grandkid, and he always tried to teach me stuff. Reading, writing, morals and art. As soon as he noticed I had an interest in art he pursued it with me, making sure I understood perspective and shading perfectly, always getting out the clay to make anything that came to mind. My birthday presents were sketchbooks or books on how to draw. He showed me how to use oils and watercolours. People may say that it was pushing me into something that he wanted me to be good at but I loved every minute of it. And I was always so happy when he praised my art as he was my harshest critic. He taught me how to make something out of nothing. Clay costs what? A few quid/dollars? Mould it in the right way and suddenly people want it. Take a cheap blank canvas and put paint on the right way and people want that. It's like magic, I just love art :grin:

As for writing, that has been self taught from an early age. I used to people watch all the time, make up stories about what they were doing and why they were there. I started writing ideas down, wrote in notebooks, wherever. I still have a folder where I used to keep all my stories. I read them now and laugh at the childish fantasy stories but I loved it. Again, it's something out of nothing. They are your words that you have strung together and suddenly it becomes interesting. What's funny is if you flick through the folder, I can actually see my progression, to the point where I acheived full marks for my creative writing coursework at GCSE.

Do you expect to make money/become famous?

I'd love to be able to paint or write and live off it. However, I realise just how unlikely it is, but it won't stop me from showing a few publishers my manuscripts :grin:

12. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't consider myself an artist. I have the least musical or artistic talent of anyone I know, and I hate it. I'm surrounded by musical people and I just can't pick it up - I've tried a few different instruments and I'm terrible at them.
    I do love to write, and I'm apparently not bad at it - I was in about the top 0.5% of the state for written communication last year. I don't think I could make a living from it or anything, it's just something to do for pleasure. I need to just keep away from artistic stuff, because trying and failing just makes me miserable.

13. AzThRg0

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm a musician (guitar and bass), a singer and a writer (poetry, short stories and songs) :grin:

14. I don't really consider myself an artist... or really anything else, for that matter. But I do play piano, guitar, and flute, photography, painting, drawing, and writing... I said musician in the poll because that's my primary trade. I'm a beginner at all of these, the most developed/skilled being writing, probably. I play mostly classical piano, take mostly nature shots in photography, paint and draw whatever, and write poetry or short fantasy stories. I've been playing piano for 4 or 5 years now, painting and drawing forever, and writing since about 6th grade. Although with writing, I've been composing stories all my life, I just never bothered with a pen and paper until 6th grade. If I were to make money off any of it, it'd be my writing, but I don't know. Let's just say I won't be quitting my day job :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

15. Markio

I said "Drawer", just because I've been doing it the longest, since I was five.

But I also do other art stuff. In high school I did theatre and drama all four years, even though I didn't think I was very good because I never got the lead. I'm more of a comedic actor, and we did shows like Crucible and Anne Frank.

I did have a lead in Grease, which is where I came out as a tenor. I joined choir and a barbershop quartet the next year because I had been afraid to sing because it might be considered "gay" to be a tenor. Heck, the barbershop quartet's high tenor was openly gay. Enough of that, I love to sing. Now I'm in an a cappella group, and it's so much fun. It's one of those things where I don't want to go professional or study it or even be the star of everything, it's just so much fun. Voices in harmony give me goosebumps still.

I also like to think that I write. I don't write as much as I'd like, it's mostly just mental. For example, I have a running story going in my head since I was thirteen about a police station in the future made up of humans and highly evolved animals. Silly, really, but I like to learn more about the world and stories and how the one in my head would compare. I also wrote short poems or scripts for the Open Mic nights at my high school. A lot of it was just humor or surface level silliness because I was afraid to delve into personal stuff because I was closeted. I still want to write, though, and not
    "closeted" stuff" either.

And I still draw. I finally took an drawing class last semester and the teacher said that I have the skill, I just need to work on composition or execution. I'll keep that in mind I guess, but it's mostly just fun. I drew portraits of my friends. I should redo that irst one of my best friend, it's rather poor done...

I also like to talk about myself. That's not really an art form, I'm just trying to explain why this post is so darn long.:rolleyes:

16. singtoh1

When I was younger I dabbled in drawing and painting but was a mediocre drawer and terrible at painting. I tried to pick up a electric and piano but for some reason I could only pick up the basics.

Since middle school I've been making, however, Jewelry ( Beaded, Macrame, Wire and some minor leather ). I guess that falls under fashion even though I have no fashion sense.

Love that movie.

17. Bryan

I am a photographer!

18. RaRa

I love singing, one of my favorite things to do. :slight_smile:

19. Airboy87

Airboy87 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people

Duet time! :thumbsup:

20. Derek the Wolf

I sketch and write poetry. I don't consider myself very good.