1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any anime fans?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by prussianblue100, May 28, 2014.

1. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

As I've gotten older, I haven't really expanded as heavily into Animes as I would have, and did, in the past. That said, though, some of my favorites are:

DragonBall/Z/Kai: I grew up with this. While it tends to get knocked for long dramatic pauses and ridiculous powering up scenes, there is a charm and heart to the series. You just have to deal with the filler and stalling to find it. DragonBall Kai definitely fixes this, by removing the stalling and dramatic pauses. It even removes some of those power up scenes, shortening them to tolerable lengths. I dare say, it is superior to the original product, with one exception. With the removal of filler, we don't get that hilarious episode of Goku and Piccolo attempting to get their driver's license. Other than that, I find a lot to relate to in Vegeta, the Prince of Saiyajins.

Naruto: I didn't like this series, at first. It wasn't until I watched a marathon on Toonami many years ago that, eventually, it grew on me. The moment I saw Rock Lee, I was hooked, because I can relate to being out of place. I also sympathize with feeling weaker and not being viewed as valuable as others, and doing what you can to defy, and to overcome this. The series has some enjoyable characters, and the earlier sagas, to me, stand out. Orochimaru, the first real villain of the series, is just such a fascinating character to watch. Finally, the series was about persevering, working hard to overcome a situation, and having the guts to do what was necessary. Unfortunately, this begins to be phased out later on, especially in Shippuden. But it is hard to deny, there is something appealing about the Chunin Exams saga, and seeing such individuals, like Shikamaru become noticed.

Bleach: I stopped watching shortly after the Rescue Rukia arc. It just couldn't keep me in with the story, but that is Bleach's problem. It doesn't have that remarkable a story, but the characters are all enjoyable and fascinating. I feel conflicted when I see a random episode on, because while I'm not feeling the plot, I'm interested in what the characters will do. Kenpachi is, by far, my favorite character. He doesn't really do anything but show up late, kick ass, and scare everybody... except his sidekick, a little bitty girl, with pink hair, blushing cheeks, and the cutest voice. But don't be fooled, she can be a vicious little thing.

Galaxy Express 999: While not really a series, it's a fantastic movie. The animation may come off as outdated or rough, but I like that. It's about a young boy who, after his mother's death, wants to become stronger. To do so, he is willing to have his body become a machine, which means he'd have to give up his humanity, yadda yadda. During the course of this journey, he encounters a mysterious woman, and some other oddities, which, eventually, influence his final decision. It's worth checking out, I'd say.

Cowboy Bebop: I'll put it this way. Cowboy Bebop is beautifully handled. It's hard to describe, but imagine a Jazz soundtrack playing atop of bounty hunters, in space. Now, throw in a feisty money-hungry woman (you find out why she is), an intelligent canine, and an eccentric kid who is an elite hacker, and you have a recipe for hijinks. It can be both comical and serious, especially when Vicious, the main foe is around. Definitely worth a viewing.

Yu Yu Hakusho: The first episode is unique, in that the main character is killed. You would normally think that is a huge spoiler, but it isn't. That's actually the selling point of this series. While I, personally, wasn't too fond of what began in episode two until Yusuke, our main character, is revived, it is worth sticking it out for the next saga: The Dark Tournament. This is when, I feel, the series was at it's best. It pits Yusuke, his friend Kuwabara, and two demon criminals, on a team to do battle for the sake of the human-demon worlds. Hiei is my favorite. He just has this no-nonsense attitude about everything, and he is definitely one of the more entertaining to watch. Kurama, the other member of those "two demon criminals", is gentler, and considered a pretty boy, but can hold his own. Yusuke is foul-mouthed, agitated, and tends to not care about anyone but his reputation, but he comes around... slowly. Definitely a product of 90s Anime.

2. prussianblue100

Woah. I got a lot more replies than expected. I was made fun of for anime before...So, yeah. I was just curious. Oh. And I forgot to add Future Diary/Mirai Nikki. I might have to update my list.

3. Au.Quicksilver

Hellsing and Elfen Lied have to be my favourites.

Hellsing: A domesticated Dracula, now going by Alucard, if forced to hunt his own kind after being beaten by Abraham Van Hellsing. Inside the ongoing threat, synthetic-vampires are being made, that don't cause other vampires to be created. This menace is tracked back to a nazi operation called Millenium. The build up is long, yet awesome. When shit hits the fan, there's no love in the air, only blood.

Elfen Lied: A girl by the name of Lucy, an evolved human, escapes from a test facility. After winding up on a beach, she is found by Kouta, someone she knew in the past, but he doesn't remember her. Having an amnesiac response from when a 50. cal bullet hit a helmet she had on before she escaped, she adopted a new personality named Nyu. Pink hair= Dangerous in this anime. And limbs fly more than Hellsing. And that's saying a lot.

#23 Au.Quicksilver, May 29, 2014
    Last edited: May 29, 2014
  4. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I watched most of my anime on Cartoon Network, but I still liked a lot of shows. Some of my favorites were Rurouni Kenshin, Blue Submarine No. 6, Gundam Wing, Dragonball, Ronin Warriors, and Avatar.

5. Yosia

*giggle* i kind of fangirl over anime and spend my life watching it :3

I have watched probably close to 200+ series or anime movies, including things like Mirai Nikki, Attack on Titan, Strawberry Marshmallow, Kyoukai no Kanata, CLANNAD (both seasons and the movie) Infinite Stratos, Lucky Star, Yuyushiki, Vampire Knight, Chuunibyou, Date a Live, Shakugan no Shana (i watched all three seasons in one weekend) Sword art Online and many many many more ^.^

I also really like Vocaloids too~ I have actually kinda layed off of the anime for a bit but i dont think it will last long XD

6. TheStormInside

I used to watch a lot of anime, though in recent years I've fallen out of it. My favorites are still "Neon Genesis Evangelion" and "Serial Experiments Lain." I've seen Death Note and I liked that one a lot, too, and most recently I watched Attack on Titan, which was very, very good. I'm also a big fan of Studio Ghibli and Miyazaki, my favorite being "Princess Mononoke." As far as American cartoons, I love Avatar, Legend of Korra, and Adventure Time.

#26 TheStormInside, May 29, 2014
    Last edited: May 29, 2014
  7. Eye Shine

I've watched 167 anime and can't name them all off my head but I have watched a lot of the mentioned anime

8. Andres

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm not really an anime fan but I've watched plenty!
    I love miraii nikki, danganronpa, pokemon, death note, kirby, etc.

If an anime is about mistery and murder, I'll probably like it xD

9. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wandering Son is so much better in the manga. I can't wait for the next volume to come out in July. If you like that one, you might also like Bokura no Hentai, and IS: Otoko demo Onna demo nai Se.

Now, am I the only one that likes some older stuff like NGE, +Anima, Mahou Sensi Negima!: Magister Negi Magi, Love Hina, and AI Love You?

---------- Post added 29th May 2014 at 10:21 PM ----------

Lucky Star is Hilarious.

10. prussianblue100

Yeah! So many people who like anime. :slight_smile:

I haven't watched Lucky Star, but I have heard about it. Man, I need to watch more stuff over this summer.

11. KrnlKrazy

KrnlKrazy Guest

FUCKING JOOOJOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
    [​IMG]

12. Black Swan

I recently got into it, (recently as in like three months ago) and so far I've really enjoyed Death Note, Attack on Titan, Code Geass, Steins;Gate and Paranoia Agent. I really like the thriller/psychological genre. I'm currently watching Monster and it's just beautiful.

Oh and lesbians looking for yuri, I recommend Sakura Trick. It's really cute and way more innocent than most other yuris. I was also pleasantly surprised by the inclusion of a lesbian character in Code Geass (even though she's a bit pathetic) and a Trans-female character in Steins;Gate.

13. Chromedome

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    LOl ever since i had a nightmare where a spider titan jumped into the theater and killed everyone ive been off anime.

14. classicat

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Favourite animes are Cowboy Bebop, Lupin the Third, Ouran High School Host Club, Hetalia, Full Metal Alchemist (original and Brotherhood), D. Gray-Man, Black Butler, Hellsing and Space Dandy.

15. TheStormInside

I love NGE, it's my favorite anime. I haven't seen the others you listed, though. Have you watched some other older stuff like Serial Experiments Lain, Revolutionary Girl Utena, or Cowboy Bebop?

16. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Negima! and Love Hina were made into anime, but those are all manga....

17. TheStormInside

Ah, that's why I'm not familiar with them, then. I never was a big manga reader.

18. kem

kem

I'm not an anime fan, but I do watch anime, or animated series/films as I like to call them. It grinds my gears when people are like: "manga isn't the same as comics!!!1" or: ""You can't use anime and cartoon interchangeably!!! >:[" Uhh, yes I can, and I just did.

My favourite series are:
    Kill la kill. A really different kind of action. Fast paced, suitably short and very aware of its genre, and of itself. It either avoids clichés, relishes them or mocks them, oftentimes simultaneously.

The Flowers of Evil. I liked the show a lot. It apparently deviates quite a bit from the original graphic novel, I'm eager to see how it continues.

Cowboy Bebop. It was interesting. The plot was nonexistent, but I didn't mind.

Paranoia Agent. I love Satoshi Kon's work. I haven't finished this series yet though, currently busy with other tv shows.