1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

anorexia

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by lordjord96, Jul 31, 2010.

1. lordjord96

I always feel full....i never eat breakfast and sometimes lunch. I i keep getting thinner. when i do eat it feels like i cheated on my diet and that makes me feel bad.

yesterday, all i had was a apple and 1/4 of a pizza. thats it.
    i also use cigarettes to keep my mind of food.

am i anorexic?

2. Owen91

Owen91 Guest

Actually, I've been wondering the same thing, myself.

I only eat a small lunch and dinner most days. This usually happens in the summer. I don't know why, but I always just put off eating. It's not like I think I'm too big or something... I only weigh about 120 lbs and I'm 5'8". I just forget to eat or don't want to go to the trouble to make anything to eat.

Can you be anorexic if it's not on purpose?

3. Severed Serenity

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    The answer is no. Anorexia is defined as being as much of a mental disorder as a physical eating disorder. The main component of anorexia is body image. If you're just not feeling hungry or just not eating, it may be because of other emotions, such as stress, anxiety, even depression. If you find yourself not experiencing those emotions, it is entirely possible that you're just not hungry. Your body does need nutrition about 5 times a day to keep the main organs functioning properly, so try to eat a little bit every three hours or so, even if you don't feel hungry. It will give you more energy and you'll get the nutrition you need.

4. Burning Star IV

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    And I might add that various illnesses, gas or even simply having a smaller stomach may also cause you to feel full. Anorexia should not be defined as an "eating disorder", but "disordered eating", due to the fact that it is so complicated. But you also don't want to keep from eating 'normally' for any rational reason, because since Anorexia, Bulimia etc. are marginally mental disorders, you dont want to end up causing anorexia to take hold by not eating because of the full feeling.

Im not saying you should eat to the point where you are inhaling everything put in front of you, (another eating disorder called "Binge Eating"), but you should try to eat a little more to help keep your immune system up and your body chemistry functioning properly.

5. Severed Serenity

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Thank you. I was going to add that, but wasn't quite sure how to word it without coming across oddly.

6. Mana

Sorry for, like, dragging this thread up. I'm not anorexic but my frend is convinced I am, and it's starting to sort of play on my mind :/

7. Rosina

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You just answered your own question there - you're not anorexic. End of.

It's a common thing this, if your mate details a worry that they have of you, then you're left thinking about it too; you'll have it going around and around your head for hours, keeping you awake at night, distracting you, it just blows out of proportion.

However, I think it's best that you ask your friend why they think this and have a good talk about it; they've probably seen you whilst eating (or not eating, as the case may be) or something like that and they're just concerned, beacuse that's what friends do (they wouldn't worry if they wren't your friend, now would they?) However, if you're worried about your own eating habits, then you're welcome to detail them here and we'll see what we think, though from the sounds of things, I doubt you have any problem at all :slight_smile:

Don't let it get to you (easier said than done, I know) but it's really not worth worrying about something that doesn't exist, right?

8. Mana

I have talked to her about it, a lot. It's a subject that always comes up... tbf I can see why from her point of view it might look like I have a problem, but I eat the amount that is good for me. Today I have eaten pasta (bit bigger portion than I normally have, my mum made it and although I am grateful for the fact she made me dinner, she still doesn't understand the concept of "I dont want much"), 1 bag of crisps, 1 cookie and a slice of cheese. And a banana smoothie, I had trouble deciding whether that counted as food or drink but seeing as it started off as a banana I decided food. Ysterday I had a cheese sandwich (again, my mum made it. She thinks I dont eat enough. I didn't actually want it) and half a mana-sized portion of pasta. I can't remember the day before that, but I assume it was something along the lines of pasta.

I also do talk about my weight a lot, I suppose I should just not mention it to her. ._.

There's probably other reasons too, but tbh I kind of feel uncomfortable discussing it in public... Usually people shout at me when I talk about my eating habits ._.

9. Rosina

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well, I don't see a problem, personally; if you've always eaten those sized portions and genuinely feel satisfied with that, then it's fine :slight_smile: I mean, you seem to take enough carbs ans sugars that you need to function daily and you've got some protein and fruit in there, bit of roughage, it's alright.

Though if you're concerned about your weight, it might be playing a part with your eating habits, like having a subconscious effect on how much you eat? Just a thought.

And you don't need to worry about discussing anything here, EC's a very supportive and there's no reason for you to be shouted at on here (well, worst is some BIG SCARY FONT :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:) But this is a serious topic, you won't be yelled at, so feel free to share your worries and we'll sort them through :slight_smile:

10. Mana

I know EC is friendly, but I'm still scared to say how I really feel about it :/ I'm glad you dont think there's a problem though :slight_smile:

11. Brideshead Boy

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    lordjord96,

You should probably talk to an adult you trust, or a doctor, to really find out what you may be suffering from. Asking us on the forum might not be the best way to judge your own health. First be truthful to yourself, and when you don't know, ask for help from a trusted medical advisory, a person whom you can meet with in person, and have a face-to-face conversation with.

The fact that you said you use cigarettes to keep yourself from thinking of food, and that you are getting thinner and thinner worries me. What is happening in your life right now? Are there any upsets, changes, etc. happening at this time in your life right now?

Many times people have the tendency to use food as a control mechanism. When things in our lives are out of control, the one thing we can control is our food--how much we do or do not take in. Perhaps you are using food as a tool to keep you from facing true problems in your life.

I know how it feels to be in the dark, to not know whether you are on the verge of a eating disorder of not. In fact, I know what it is like to be in an eating disorder, close to death and not even knowing if had an eating disorder or not. Many doctors aren't as quick to judge rapid weight loss in a male to anorexia, as in my case, so it is always wise to SPEAK UP! Ask your doctor, dietician or counselor if they think you are going down this path.

You control your health. You can be the best that you can be. I hope for the best for you, and for success in your future! :slight_smile:

-Brandon

12. GoinStag

In Loving Memory

Omg I know just how you feel!!! Over the past maybe 5 months, I haven't been feeling very hungry, and when I do eat an average amount of food I feel really, REALLY guilty. One time I just drank coffee for like 2 days 'cause I wasn't really hungry.

13. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

Anorexia is an extreme. It entails someone who has a pervasive fear of weight gain, and also implies being (at least) moderately underweight. There is a distortion in how you perceive your weight, causing you to think that you are overweight no matter how underweight you become.

People who are anorexic basically starve themselves, and use tactics to constantly lose weight even when family and friends tell them their weight is fine. This is because their fear of gaining weight is so great. Sometimes they try to hide their weight loss, and also sometimes purge (by inducing vomiting, over-excersising, etc).

It's also virtually non-existant in 3rd world countries.

I would suggest speaking with your doctor if your hunger has been diminished and/or you think you possibly have an eating disorder.

#13 Swamp56, Aug 28, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2010
  14. KaraBulut

Anorexia nervosa is just one of the more extreme eating disorders. It's the one that gets a lot of attention but it's not very common.

In short, eating disorders are quite common in young people. But you can have an eating disorder without going to the extreme seen in anorexia nervosa.