1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

An update: 3 years on!

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by csmith, Oct 31, 2018.

1. csmith

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So, I only accepted I was gay about 3 years ago. I thought I'd post a brief update as a beacon of hope for some of you who are may be at the start of your journey because I know how difficult it can be when you're stuck in a rut and not accepting of who you are.... and I promise you, it gets so much better.

I came out to my mum first in Dec 2015, quickly followed by my uncle and a friend. Everyone was cool about it.

I met my first partner online in Feb 2016. We were together for 10 months. It was a long distance thing to begin with but he moved to my city after 7 months (lived with me for a few months before moving into his own place). He had a lot of mental health problems which led to us breaking up. We're still friends and he's still a bit crazy....

I was single for about 14 months after G but it gave me the confidence to explore my sexuality. I made a few gay mates and moved to a new city to study for a few months where I met my current partner. I can honestly say I'm a different (and better!) person than I was 3 years ago. And I'm so much happier and content with being me. I proudly walk down the street holding my partner's hand. That has been one of the biggest surprises to me. The closeted me wouldn't ever have dreamed of doing that.

I know it's hard. I spent years denying who I was. I was single and celibate for about 12-13 years. But I promise you, accepting yourself for who you truly are and living that life authentically will be so rewarding. Embrace it and live life to the full. We need more visible LGBT people in society so that the rest of the population know that this is normal and not some find of fetish or phase.

I've not been on here in a while but happy to pop back and answer a few questions. :wink:

2. DecentOne

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This sounds great! It is good to hear your happiness.

3. Nic2552

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congrats to you, yes your right we need more LGBT people embracing themselves so it can be normal as straight couples holding hands walking down the street. My partner and I don't even hold hands because we are afraid of the consequences.