1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

America: Pros' and Cons'

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by FreeFlow9917, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Night Rain

Although I agree that the USA is a pretty decent country to live in, I have a lot to disagree with here.
    Here's my list:

Pros:
    English - It's becoming a universal language.
    Geographic and cultural diversity
    The living standard
    Broadway :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Cons:
    Music
    Food
    The abuse of the 1st Amendment (Westboro Baptist Church anyone? :dry:slight_smile:
    Reality shows
    Fox News
    College tuition fee
    The imperial system
    Nationalism

#21 Night Rain, Aug 16, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  2. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My honest opinion is that Abe Lincoln was wrong and that he should have let the South split off. Think of all the problems we wouldn't have if the South were its own country and weren't electing all these Republicans!

America would be a shining symbol of progressiveism. Marriage equality, universal health care, strict gun control. Life would be great.

3. Sorcerer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, but you'd have all those illegal immigrants from the South trying to get in! Oh, wait...:lol:

4. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Pros

Well, that was a fun game.

5. Goblin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Pros:
    THE PLUMBING

America has some of the best plumbing in the world~

More tolerance than other countries. As an LGBT+ person America is one of the few places I would want to live even if it isn't perfect.

Con:
    Intolerance

6. Straight ally

Santiago de los caballeros, Dominican Republic
    a great Continent* :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: :lol:

I think The united states is very big and diverse from a state to the other to generalize its pros and cons. But we could say its a place of great opportunities and risks. I can talk about it from the point of view of someone who lives in a third world country with have received many good and bad things (Dominican republic) from the US. It gave us infraestructure, technology, urbanization, modernization and industralization. On the other hand it gave us war, drugs, a corruption (with was there but not so intense), and consumism. To sum up it gave us great good things and great bad things, that makes me conclude that it have lights and shadows inside it. The news and history regarding USA, that i have read,onfirms this.

That said i want to visit USA by myself as it have many interesting things.

Oh and it gave us rock(along with United kingdoms), i thank them a lot for that, i dont like much my country's music :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

7. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's where some cities get their drinking water...

We recently had our septic tank emptied, and I asked them what they do with the contents. Turns out that here in Michigan, once they empty your septic tank, they take the shit to Flint, where they then ship it to a water treatment plant in Detroit. The shit is then filtered out of the water, the water is boiled, chlorinated and flouridated, then used as city drinking water in both Flint and Detroit.

I'd die of dehydration before I'd drink the water in the cities to my north and south.

8. RainbowMan

I think that the general gist of this is more common than you think - water is not an infinite resource, it can be recycled like most anything else.

There are stringent standards for drinking water in the US, I think - so I think you'd be safe drinking the water in Detroit or Flint. Actually going to those places....that's a topic for another thread :slight_smile:

9. Joanne

Yeah...

I think I'll keep quiet on this one lol

10. Abbra

Our strengths are very much our greatest weaknesses. Bear in mind that I'm not speaking for every individual American. I just speaking about the general way American culture teaches us how to behave.

Pros:
    We are very strong. As a country, America never backs down from a challenge. Whenever something happens, America is ready to fight for what they believe in, whatever the cost. Individualism is also prized in a big way. We are taught from an early age the virtues of being your very best and always reaching your full potential and doing what makes you happy.

Cons:
    We are bullheaded. As a country, America likes to yell the loudest and gets angry at anyone who challenges anything. Whenever something happens, America is willing to fight for what it believe in, doesn't review whether it's right or wrong, and doesn't care about the cost so long as the ends seemingly justify the means. Being selfish is prized in a big way. We are taught from an early age to be self centered and to only care about things in the moment, and things that affect us.

Once again, not all of us are like this. It's just the general attitude that is pushed down our throats all the time, and how Americans are expected to be.

11. Mlpguy88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have to agree with you. I'd say we are more of a warrior culture than an intellectual one, for the lack of a better term. We are a young country by comparison, so we're a little naive and not afraid to fight. I hope the rest of the world doesn't hate us for that though

12. MerBear

Pros : Nothing
    Cons: everything

seriously speaking, i just don't like being in america, its not my home and i'm going to try and move out of the US so i can go home. where I feel, i belong. i think, it would make me happier than anything if i could move out of the US

13. Stripe101

Buddy, LGBT rights is only one issue. The country is united. Marriage laws don't divide a country all that much.

---------- Post added 16th Aug 2013 at 10:24 PM ----------

Seriously? You can't think of one thing? I think you're being a little harsh.

#33 Stripe101, Aug 16, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  14. josh9623

Pros:
    If you have money you can do almost anything.

Cons:
    If you are poor or middle class you don't have as much freedom as everyone else.
    Education system (they are concerned about students being out of dress code, yet do nothing about people who bring and sell drugs on campus and pretty much admit that they think that as a school, they are above the law) BTW education takes a back seat to bs rules.

15. MerBear

dude, I just don't like being in america. I dont feel at home. Its not for me.

16. blueberrymuffin

Pros: Um...freedom of speech barely exists in practice, but it's still more than most parts of the world. We're really not #1 at hardly anything anymore. I suppose the colleges are highly respected.

Cons: 20 years at least behind Scandinavia at just about every social issue *and* public acceptance of those issues (including of course, gay rights). Highest incarceration in the world.

17. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, but imagine how it would be to be black, a woman, gay, or God-forbid, all at once, in that country. Sure, they're a hindrance, but you've got to help them as much as possible, otherwise you'll have a neighbouring country where being non-Republican and non-Christian is literally a crime.

18. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm biased since my parents came from India, which has a whole lot more problems than the US. Every day, I think I'm very fortunate to be in a society that allows me to do what I love. Since threads like these often have more people beating up on the US (for usually legitimate reasons), here are some good things, IMO:

Government - The Constitution is pretty awesome, and I think the checks and balances were instrumental in avoiding catastrophe for at least the first two centuries. However, now that it's pretty clear dysfunction, mostly in Congress, is getting worse and worse, we need to find ways of depoliticizing government. One example would be replacing gerrymandering with rational electoral districting.

Education System - This is most true for higher education; though, I was lucky to grow up in a very good public school system. My dad, like thousands of other immigrants came here as a student.

Diversity and Unity - Being an American, though some may disagree, is more of a cultural than ethnic category. Also, we have progressed a lot in race relations, as seen in the tolerance among the younger generations (and multi-ethnic relationships). While we have immigration debates here as well, just look at so-called progressive Europe and the number of violent racists and Islamophobes that came out of the woodwork in recent years (e.g. the Swiss minaret ban or French ban on head coverings, except for Catholic nuns...).

Economic Opportunity - While there are still many barriers to employment, the US does not have a fixed aristocracy, and there are many opportunities for people to try starting their own businesses. Unfortunately, this seems to be something that is uncertain in the future, which I think is the underlying cause of national instability.

Infrastructure - Yes, it's getting old and needs repairs, but when I think back to my first visits to relatives in India (even though they were mainly middle class professionals), Americans will really have no idea how comfortable their lives are until they go to a village in third-world country.

Positive military accomplishments - We've made a lot of blunders, but the World Wars showed just how important it was to have a democracy that can defend itself and its allies. I don't think any normal person would have said it would be better if the USSR, or China today, could do whatever it wanted militarily. I'm all for the just war theory.

---------- Post added 16th Aug 2013 at 11:12 PM ----------

Very true. Just look at how long it took South Africa to end Apartheid.

19. Kirito

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Just a reminder these pros and cons are personal opinions. A lot of the pros are cons to me and a lot of the cons are pros to me.

Also can we stop using republicans in a demeaning manner and targeting them or bashing them? Honestly, I know this is a LGBT site, but I could just as easily say the coastal states are filled with crazy demoncrats or crazy liberals. Which sometimes I'm inclinded to believed, but still can we still not express hate on a loving website? Maybe it's just cause if I was American I would vote republican, but I understand that they don't support LGBT rights.

20. Femme

I agree, there are many hateful comments.

Just as a point of reference, I am an Anerican and I am very lucky to live in this great country. There are many other great countries too but the US is my home.

Why is it always acceptable to bash my country? Can't we just agree to disagree and lock this thread?