1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

America is ready to elect a gay president: Jimmy Carter

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Zontar, Dec 17, 2010.

1. No One

Bamaboy, Chip, Please.

This is not the place for this. Obviously the two of you have some issues with each other, but can you please fight it out in private? Can we please move forward with the topic?

2. Shevanel

I'm pretty sure any "fighting" stopped at the last posts by them... just saying.

3. RaRa

Well think about it. Our generation is going to compromise a majority of the votes in the next 20 to 30 years, with all the bigots dying out by than (most young people don't care if someone is gay or not). If we have kids who are 18+, they also wouldn't vote for or against someone just because of their sexual orientation (at least, that's what we should be teaching them). So, assuming this gay nominee has a good campaign that isn't entirely based on their sexuality, they have a shot at winning.

I think we'll definitely see a gay president (or at least a candidate) in our lifetime.

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I really hope you're right. What scares me is that it's the religious fundies, the mormons, and the least educated (and therefore, likely to be most bigoted) that are having 5 and 10 and 15 kids, many of whom are homeschooled with ridiculous, anti-diversity, anti-gay, anti-science teaching... and the intelligent, college educated families are tending to have fewer or even no kids. Result being a dumbing-down of our entire nation and culture. There's a not-particularly-great comedy called "idiocracy" that explores this notion. Some say it's already happening. But I hope that you are correct, and the cultural shift alone is enough to force society to continued greater acceptance.

5. lostinthought9

I agree. I think we'll at least see an openly gay candidate. :slight_smile:

6. ANightDude

Well, living in Texas myself, the odds of that happening are slim if not miniscule.

The only states that have the right to leave the Union are Texas and Hawaii, I believe, because we both entered the US voluntarily, and according to the deal for annexation, at least with Texas, is that we can leave if we feel we need to.

Now don't get me wrong, I don't support leaving the Union at all. Rick Perry is a moron that only continues to get voted because of Texas' large rural pop. who supports him. Over 75% of Texans oppose leaving anyways, so the odds of that are, like I said, slim to none. He's just like North Korea: all talk.

And don't pull that "He's a caused the economic crisis because he's a republican" crap. It was caused due to irresponsibility and greed by banks, Wall Street, big business and insurance companies, plain and simple. No political group caused it. And on a side note, Texas is one of the few states that haven't been hit by the economy hard because of some of the policies here. Rick Perry may be a sexist, racist, phobic nutjob, but he can sure handle an economy well.

7. Emberstone

and who coddled and deregulated the banks, wall street, big business, and insurance companies in the first place?

Also, who is stopping laws and regulations being put in place to address and prevent it from happening again?

it isent crap, and the answer to both questions is the same, and it aint Obama or the democrats.

8. IsItSo

Out Status:
    A few people
    Wrong, wrong, wrong. The right to secede was not included in Texas's treaty of annexation. No state has any more of a legal right to secede than any other state. Also, Hawaii did not enter the US voluntarily, it was conquered.

9. No One

IsItSo is correct. Hawaii did not enter the union voluntarily. The last queen, Queen Liliuokalani, was over thrown by American businessmen and was put under house arrest when it was supposedly discovered that she had been planning a rebellion. She would spend the rest of her life under house arrest.

10. mydogstewie

No. There is no way that a gay man could get elected in the next 30 years.

11. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    While America has come far in the last 10 years, I don't see a gay president being elected any time soon.
    I don't think we could find a gay heartless enough to be a politician

12. Shevanel

Too bad that part is very untrue. xD

13. Horizon93

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Now? No, barring a major catastrophe that renders the candidate's orientation irrelevant, we're not ready to elect an openly gay person yet. I do think we will reach the point (probably in my lifetime) where sexuality alone won't be enough to defeat a candidate, but it's a few election cycles away at the very best.

14. Fintan

First -- I would expect an openly-gay Head of Government to be elected in Western Europe long before it would occur in the United States. So, I am not hopeful for the US anytime soon. I think America will probably elect a woman before someone from the LGBT Community.

Second -- I think, despite many Churches now accepting homosexuality, it will take quite a few more saying that it is "ok", before for the majority of the nation to be ok with it.

Third -- I work in politics, and you would probably be surprised just how many of us (gays/lesbians) that there are behind the scenes (mainly 20-40 yr olds). I find that this is true in both conservative and liberal parties. I don't know why, but I would guess that it has something to do with fact that we often don't have families as early as straight people, and thus have the time and energy to focus on our careers? Not sure. But I find it strange!

#34 Fintan, Dec 25, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2010
  15. Shevanel

[​IMG]
    The prime minister of Iceland happens to be a lesbian.

Iceland is the shit.

16. Emberstone

iceland scares me... but only after bjork attacked that woman in a airport.

17. Shevanel

You obviously don't know the whole story about that incident then...

18. Holmes

Don't pretend gay people are so much more noble politically than anyone else.

I'm viewing American from the outside, very interested as I am in US politics, I'd need to be active there to really take a guess at how long it would take, but the country's not there yet. Wait till at the very least till the repeal of DOMA is uncontroversial and several more states have gender-neutral marriage laws. It will probably happen within our lifetimes, but I am hoping to live a while. I would like to see at least one openly gay TD in the Irish house of representatives (the Dáil).

19. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think I said that. I just think we gays have more emotion, thats all i'm saying.

20. Holmes

I wouldn't rule out politics myself, and there are many gay politicians I could mention ( if not enough proportional to the population), so I'm confused at what you're getting at. Does Barney Frank lack emotion? And by chance, I'm midway thru a biography of Harvey Milk, which I put down to check the forums.